Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.12.27, 12:47 PM   #141
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Ringo posted the following to her Facebook feed about her performance - can anyone help translate?

昨晩の「ミュージックステーション SUPER LIVE 2014」、ご視聴有難うございます。椎名林檎からコメントが届いておりますので、ここにご覧に入れます。
「あーんご心配くださり恐れ入る!昨夜オセンチナンバーが続き、お客さまがビリビリしたがっておいでに見えて、それで反射的に歪み声で押し進めただけなの。ごめんあさせ。林檎の中の人は機嫌も調子も至って良好です。テックのトラブルごときでむずかったりもしねっす。とにかく毎度ありー。」
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.27, 02:27 PM   #142
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'd put Sunny and Sanmon Gossip on equal level tbh. Sanmon Gossip gets caught up in flights of fancy a bit too often while Sunny seems to have a goal in mind.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.27, 03:01 PM   #143
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Really cant agree. Sunny never feels like it had any ambition to me, just two EPs slapped together.

SG is it's own thing and plays like an album. Flights of fancy > Laziness any day.

If theres anything good from this album.... I can understand the pain of the Variety haters now, but at least that hate spawned from Jihen trying something new.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.27 at 03:20 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.27, 04:47 PM   #144
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Let's see if I'm anywhere near close. Arggh, this is really formal speech, which is my weak point.

"Thank you for watching last night's 'Music Station Super Live 2014'. Here is a comment from Shiina Ringo: I am grateful for all your concerns. Last night's sentimental number continuation, I reflexively pressed on with my strained voice because I saw everyone's anticipation. I'm sorry. The person inside of me is satisfactory in both tone and mood [ed: what?]. There was also some tech trouble. Anyhow, thank you for your continued patronage."

I'm still terrible at translating, even then I understand what she's trying to say.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.27, 05:26 PM   #145
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Glad my patronage is appreciated! Even with two children to raise, Ringo is still very nice to her clients and keeps up her high level of service. I don't care if she's drunk, she still looks classy. Wonderful, enterprising lady!
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.28, 12:35 AM   #146
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by anonlurker View Post
Worst opinion ever. You think that Sunny which is a watered down SG is actually better than the original version it fails in imitating? Then to go one further also rate it over her best album? Sunny is the album equivalent of the Music Station performance.

OMG
An opinion I'm perfectly entitled to. I don't find these many similarities between Sunny and SG as you guys do, I honestly think the two are quite different. Thinking KSK is her best album, is again, an opinion. For me MM and Shoso Strip are her best works and the following albums are not quite up there - still great though. I like early Ringo just for the raw power and the kind of roughness which newer records lack. On Sunny there's 静かなる逆襲 and Jiyuu which kind of remind me of the Ringo I fell in love with + there's Ariamaru Tomi which is like modern day Izonshou.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.28, 01:51 AM   #147
anonlurker

Originally Posted by zordon View Post
An opinion I'm perfectly entitled to. I don't find these many similarities between Sunny and SG as you guys do, I honestly think the two are quite different. Thinking KSK is her best album, is again, an opinion. For me MM and Shoso Strip are her best works and the following albums are not quite up there - still great though. I like early Ringo just for the raw power and the kind of roughness which newer records lack. On Sunny there's 静かなる逆襲 and Jiyuu which kind of remind me of the Ringo I fell in love with + there's Ariamaru Tomi which is like modern day Izonshou.
The problem for me with MM and SS is while they are absolutely fantastic, there's not too much in them that came across as wholly original compared to what was about at the time. MM especially. KZK however is in a complete class of it's own for me with perhaps only Jun Togawa giving me the same feelings when I listen. There's next to nothing like it. That's why I class it as the best.

Did you listen to Sunny first before SG? I'm genuinely surprised at your opinion putting it above SG like that. I know it's opinions and all that, but I can't fathom it and I'm not sure that anybody is going to agree. It doesn't compute. Especially when it's best track is a SG-era cut.
Old 2014.12.28, 02:47 AM   #148
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by anonlurker View Post
The problem for me with MM and SS is while they are absolutely fantastic, there's not too much in them that came across as wholly original compared to what was about at the time. MM especially. KZK however is in a complete class of it's own for me with perhaps only Jun Togawa giving me the same feelings when I listen. There's next to nothing like it. That's why I class it as the best.

Did you listen to Sunny first before SG? I'm genuinely surprised at your opinion putting it above SG like that. I know it's opinions and all that, but I can't fathom it and I'm not sure that anybody is going to agree. It doesn't compute. Especially when it's best track is a SG-era cut.
I've been listening to Ringo since 2009. Originality doesn't always mean enjoyment. I will perhaps offend some people but the second half of KSK is really dull for me (songs after Kuki) which is why I can't consider it the best. I do agree that Jun Togawa is a class of her own though.

When it comes to SG - Sunny comparison, they are on similar level but I guess Sunny has more songs which click with me. It might change after some time.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.28, 02:59 AM   #149
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

For me MM is her best album, no contest.

I don't understand the SG/SUNNY comparisons, again, but they are enjoyable in different ways to me . . . SUNNY has a bit more of a thematic coherence to me, I guess, if you like that sort of thing.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.28, 05:33 AM   #150
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

What's not to understand about the SG/Sunny comparisons? They are both Ringo's jazzy albums, SG songs have lush arrangement whereas Sunny songs focus on being accessible.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote