Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.02.10, 07:08 PM   #221
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Edit: Nevermind! It works now!

It's cute, but I will agree that it's quite reminiscent of Irokoizata etc. Still fairly enjoyable though. Sounds like something Yuming might do.

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2011.02.10 at 07:11 PM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.10, 08:25 PM   #222
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Well this song at least could fit as a decent filler song on a good album, I would probably skip it half the time but it isn't painful like the other track though I am not into the Disney stuff.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.10, 10:47 PM   #223
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
O_O I don't like this
I had to read this post multiple times because I couldn't accept you not liking a Nu Shiina tune.

Don't worry son, a few of us have been where you are now and I promise you will accept the new reality for what it is and you'll come out all the stronger for it.

That song is utter shit by the way. Unless you're in a musical or an eight year old girl I can't see the appeal.

Embarrassing to be honest.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.10, 11:33 PM   #224
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Embarrassing to be honest.
I was honestly embarrassed for her in that video. Urk. Urk. I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon here, but that didn't even sound like a song to me...it sounded like a template for a jazzy musical number. At least it looked like she was having fun...god her age is showing, not physically, but in her music. I felt like I was watching my mother...

Okay, now that all the negativity is out of the way...maybe it will be a grower?

oh man her voice just raised on a "desho" like an old lady trying to be a cute school girl. man.

it just isn't my thing. maybe i should have listened before reading the thread, but I didn't like irokoizata...so I don't think anything would have saved this song for me. haven't given up hope on the album yet, but this song made it hard.

Last edited by s3r3nity : 2011.02.10 at 11:51 PM.
s3r3nity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 02:01 AM   #225
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

So both songs will be on the same album? That would be weird.

Originally Posted by s3r3nity View Post
At least it looked like she was having fun...god her age is showing, not physically, but in her music. I felt like I was watching my mother...
The thing is, she's 31, not 61. She grew up with Nirvana and Radiohead playing on the radio... not Sinatra. Her musical tastes are unusual for her age and I kind of wish she would get rid of every show tune and jazz album in her house because it seems to affect her musical output a lot (but maybe I'm just talking out of my ass).
Old 2011.02.11, 02:44 AM   #226
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
Her musical tastes are unusual for her age and I kind of wish she would get rid of every show tune and jazz album in her house because it seems to affect her musical output a lot.
Yep, her tastes are very weird. Almost as weird as our taste in her.

I'm torn between feeling sad that people can take for granted something as remarkable as access to a talented, beautiful artist from a faraway country, to the point where they can bitch about how much better she used to be (referring to her "musical output," Jesus Christ on rollerskates)............

...............and feeling good about being alive at a time when such things are possible.

Louis CK's riff on bitchy cell phone users in planes comes to mind.

Maybe I'm just getting old. By the time you kids start "sampling" your music through wireless nodes injected into your skulls, and every guitar player from Bangladesh to Ethiopia is instantly rattled through your digital aggregators, leaving you with nothing to be moved by except your own mastery and manipulation of technology, and as your media-enabling overlords congratulate you endlessly on your arrogant sense of superiority, I will be, hopefully, dead.

I say all that with a .
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 03:30 AM   #227
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Hey don't be so dramatic! I didn't say her taste is weird, I said it's unusual, which it is. I'm thrilled I have easy access to all sorts of wonderful media from all over the world but really, why should I judge it any differently than something I can find in a store down the street?
Old 2011.02.11, 03:42 AM   #228
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

The thing is, she's 31, not 61. She grew up with Nirvana and Radiohead playing on the radio... not Sinatra.
Her dad was an avid collector of jazz albums. I wouldn't be surprised if she heard a lot more jazz music growing up than rock. In fact, I think I read that she didn't get into rock music until she was in like junior high or even high school. It may not be the coolest music she could make, but to argue that it's somehow less genuine or natural than her rock music seems pointless.
While I like this song, I think it was a cheap thing for her to have written and released. She's already demonstrated she can write songs like this, she could have at least mixed it up somehow. And the video is really cute, even if it does make me kinda want to burn the trunk she keeps all of her wigs in. When do we think the full song/music video will be out?
Old 2011.02.11, 05:22 AM   #229
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Hey don't be so dramatic! I didn't say her taste is weird, I said it's unusual, which it is. I'm thrilled I have easy access to all sorts of wonderful media from all over the world but really, why should I judge it any differently than something I can find in a store down the street?
Oh, I'm not that dramatic. Not as dramatic as people who glance at a tiny image on a computer screen, beamed from a foreign country, of a woman they seem to admire very much (or why would they be here? in spite of her?) and whose reaction is to call it "shit" or "embarrassing" with nothing to back it up....not even an entertainingly bitchy phrase, just empty-headed posturing that I'd expect from a twelve-year-old. (I'm not talking about you, grumble_cake. Or Jihad or Maou or others who put some thought into their posts.)

Remember, this is coming from the person who gave second chances to now-famously-banned posters. I am one damn calm administrator....but some of this juvenile snark is starting to bug me.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.11, 05:55 AM   #230
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

lol I didn't think my dislike on the song would be a subject..
that's just a song I don't like, like tasogarenaki, utenkekkou and sigma.. I'm not disappointed with Shiina Ringo because of that, yet. I'm sure something good will come with the next album

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote