Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.12.30, 03:17 AM   #161
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

That's because KZK and HF don't sound like Sunny.

It isn't going on it being "token" anything... SUNNY JUST REALLY OFFERS NOTHING NEW (a great factor in why albums 1-4 are all special in the catalog). Just nothing truly exciting there.

Take out Jiyuu and NIPPON (which are both the same song to me) and you've definitely got another SG. Particularly if you focus on the album only tracks.

For example, IMA is just Shun lite. JL005 is Shun if it were on Reimport.

Basic Bitch is the only new song that sorta breaks the mold, but that just sounds like Jihen.

Just think about it. There's SOMETHING about it that reminds of SG to all these people. I don't think it's play for play the same thing, but everything about it makes me wanna listen to SG instead. But I mean, if you can't hear it now, I doubt you ever will. I just hear SG as soon as I press play on that thing.

I don't really find either one more accessible than the other. They're just too similar for my liking. Maybe the fact that I have ADORED SG for so long and know that album most likely better than any other SR release, I was a little let down by having something so... run of the mill for Ringo standards. I have all hopes on her doing something a little bit more interesting next time and will just have to settle for what it this one is.

It's very much what Daihakken is to Sports... Fun, but inessential if you have the older release.

Anyway, there's my (most likely over the top) explanation to the SG/SUNNY comparison. Ultimately, SUNNY was never going to be a great release from the start. I don't know why I put my hopes up that it would be :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.30 at 03:45 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.30, 04:44 AM   #162
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

How on EARTH is Ima "Shun lite"!!!

Ok we already knew this before but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. =p

(ftr SPORTS also clearly =/= Daihakken to me . . . )
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.30, 05:35 AM   #163
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Sports and Dihakken are like two slices of pizza. If you're full after eating the first slice, then of course second slice seems inessential, but sometimes when you are hungry, you might even want a third or fourth slice. The more the better, regardless of topping.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.30, 07:26 AM   #164
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

^^^ I find that metaphor oddly persuasive.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.30, 08:47 AM   #165
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
For example, IMA is just Shun lite. JL005 is Shun if it were on Reimport.
I've already made the SG/Sunny = Sports/DH comparison myself so I get that, but... You're going to have to explain this one to me like I'm three years old. I don't get it at all.
Old 2014.12.30, 03:20 PM   #166
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, think of it this way.

Ima, like Shun, seems to have attempted to serve as the anchor point in the center of the album (hell, they both even have 1 character track names). They both are gentle jazzy songs that are quite beautiful. However, Ima comes up short because it's ruined by it's ridiculous production- it never hits quite the same as Shun. The album never really stops for it. The live version from Toutakai has so much promise too. Oh well.

JL005 has those big romantic strings and similar song structure to me, minus the payoff in the form of that gorgeous piano solo. I mention Reimport because it has that electronic beat at the start, much like Seishun no Matataki- another song I've always compared to Shun, though that one is more blatantly obvious :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.12.30 at 03:33 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.30, 03:35 PM   #167
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Well, think of it this way.

Ima, like Shun, seems to have attempted to serve as the anchor point in the center of the album. They both are gentle jazzy songs that are quite beautiful. However, Ima comes up short because it's ruined by it's ridiculous production- it never hits quite the same as Shun. The live version from Toutakai has so much promise too. Oh well.

JL005 has those big romantic strings and similar song structure to me, minus the payoff in the form of that gorgeous piano solo. I mention Reimport because it has that electronic beat at the start, much like Seishun no Matataki- another song I've always compared to Shun, though that one is more blatantly obvious :-p
I can see what you mean, but I think those are kind of superficial parallels - if we're comparing "jazzy" songs, how many other songs can we compare? Structurally they are similar, but they sound completely different. Shun is a romantic ballad that leaves basically everything on the table from the first listen, even with dat piano solo. Ima is less straightforward, with a suspenseful atmosphere driven by the pizzicato and thumping bass. Its atmosphere reminds me of a smoky jazz lounge, like Okonomide. Production-wise though they're both overproduced.

I can see the Reimport comparison with JL005, but I disagree becuase JL005 has nuances.

The live version from Toutakai has so much promise too. Oh well.
Agreed - I like the album version but it could have been so much more. For starters, the accordion worked wonderfully in toutaikai. Sigh.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.31, 05:39 AM   #168
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Happy New Year, ringoboos!
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.31, 05:49 AM   #169
anonlurker

Well that was an improvement over the other performance. She really didn't need those two psychotic looking dancers though. They were an unwelcome distraction and gave what should be a celebratory atmosphere a really awkward vibe. Strange and robotic. I didn't feel it.

Those four girls she usually uses would have been better dancing about a little less weirdly. Unless it is them? I can't tell.
Old 2014.12.31, 06:10 AM   #170
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Those two dances are Aya Sato and Bambi Sato. There's a lot of videos of their dancing up on the web. They're an engaged (possibly trans) lesbian couple. They're pretty popular with the the Japanese Ringo fan community. They seem to have been in all of her performances since the start of this latest tour. They were also in the cell phone commercial. Seems like they're her new idevian crew.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote