Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.05.06, 04:57 PM   #601
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

anyone of you guys ever screwed on a metal plate onto your drum pedal? I just want to know if I would be able to do it without an electric screwdriver

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.06, 10:28 PM   #602
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
anyone of you guys ever screwed on a metal plate onto your drum pedal? I just want to know if I would be able to do it without an electric screwdriver
At least the reviews say so...

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.09, 10:12 AM   #603
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Sonic Youth Kool Thing DLC this week. Want! After the PAL release, I really should be sending my broken instruments off but I'm going to have to play them them for a few days because I crave it!
Old 2008.05.11, 08:49 AM   #604
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I don't like Kool Thing. Why not some other song? Sonic Youth has a huge library of music, but they choose to release the song that was already poorly done in GHIII? Lame.

I'm really starting to get impatient with the DLC. I want some punk, indie, and prog rock.

Edit: Stockholm Syndrome in GHIII is awesome. It's unfortunate that they make you buy the whole pack because Exo-politics and Supermassive Black Hole suck.
Old 2008.05.11, 08:53 AM   #605
cjhobbies00

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I don't like Kool Thing. Why not some other song? Sonic Youth has a huge library of music, but they choose to release the song that was already poorly done in GHIII? Lame.

I'm really starting to get impatient with the DLC. I want some punk, indie, and prog rock.

Edit: Stockholm Syndrome in GHIII is awesome. It's unfortunate that they make you buy the whole pack because Exo-politics and Supermassive Black Hole suck.
Second that Punk and Indie request. And I want some Long Blondes dammit, I'll actually want to sing those songs, with no one in the house and the door closed shut of course.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
Old 2008.05.11, 10:03 AM   #606
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I know what your saying. Anything off 'Daydream Nation' would be better. It's often the case that they release a song from an artist I've been longing for, but they choose a song I don't want. I mean Just by Radiohead is awesome, but I want me some Paranoid Android.

As for punk and Indie, I'd love some more too. No more Clash/Ramones though. As much as I like them, we've had too many.
Old 2008.05.12, 03:07 PM   #607
Inaudible-Whisper

From Game Informer:

Guitar Hero 4
(PS3, 360, Wii, PS2)
- Create a song. Excluding vocals.
- You'll be able to name your song as well as creating album art. After you've done all that you can upload it to GH Tunes where anyone can download it.
- You'll be limited to 5 song uploads at first. But depending on the ratings you get you'll possibly be able to upload 10 or more.
- The song sharing mode will be in the Wii and PS2 versions also, but GI says it's unlikely that it'll be as robust as the PS3 and 360 versions.
- Drums, bass, vocals, guitar
- Create a rocker
- Create a guitar and drums
- All songs will be master tracks
- They don't want to discuss specifics on track listing out of fear of being scooped by the competition. However they confirmed 4 bands: Van Halen, The Eagles, Linkin Park and Sublime.
- A new guitar designed by Red Octane that includes a new input mechanic that'll "impact the way you play GH in the future".
- GI saw see through notes while playing that Neversoft said was the new input mechanic and that they were trying to patent.
- Drums feature a row of 3, plus 2 cymbal pads
- The drums and kick pedal measure velocity -- the harder you hit, the louder the noise. They're also sound proofed.
- Star Power is set off by bash the two cymbals, which also opens up space for a fill.
- Guitar/Bass tracks have a line (Similar to the drum band kick) which indicates an open note (Strumming without pressing a button). Not only does this essentially give the game 6 buttons, but it's opens up the amount of achievable chords.

But the real possibilities begin to open up in the Advanced Studio mode, a full recording toolset that rivals such computer programs as Apple's popular Garage Band software. In this mode, you have total freedom to write, arrange, and record songs as you see fit. A vertically scrolling grid shows the song's various tracks, rhythm, lead, melody, bass, and drums. You can craft your song by recording live playing (with a little help from the game, which automatically "quanitizes" or corrects off beat notes to quarter, 8th, or 16th notes, and so on) or by "step recording," in which you place individual drum hits or notes on the grid one by one. It's also possible to create loops which can then be copied and pasted ad infinitum, a feature which is handy for drum and bass composition.

The guitar options are nearly endless in Advanced Studio. You'll have a host of amp sounds and effects pedals, and the ability to create and assign custom scales to the different buttons and combos on the neck. Three-button combos even allow instant access to acoustic tones. Drums are equally flexible, allowing you to select from a huge selection of conventional kits, then quickly hit the back button for Latin-style percussion sounds.
Two full band games is better than one, I suppose. I honestly didn't expect them to delve into Rock Band's territory so soon though. It kinda pisses me off actually that they've jumped onto the bandwagon so soon. Harmonix left because Activision didn't give them the freedom to create a band game, claiming that their was still life to be had in more Guitar Hero sequels. Now Harmonix have proved them wrong with the success of Rock Band. As long as ALL instruments are universal though, I'm happy. Seriously, I don't need 2 of each lying around, nor can I afford it. And with most people interested in Band play already owning Rock Band, Activision really shouldn't lock those folks out of their game. It won't force them to buy the whole GH4 pack, it'll force them to just stick with Rock Band. If the drums are radically different to the extent that the Rock Band ones are simply incompatible, as it seems to be, and this new guitar mechanic makes all past and present guitars incompatible that's really, really dumb.

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2008.05.12 at 07:45 PM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.12, 05:13 PM   #608
cjhobbies00

It sounds great, but how accessible will it be to the general public? Will those without any knowlege in music theory be able to write something worthwhile? It sounds like it's kinda merging with the recording tools that we already have now with the computer.

Old 2008.05.12, 08:24 PM   #609
Inaudible-Whisper

First details about the new Banjo Kazooie game. My hype for this game just tripled:

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (360)

- You create vehicles with parts you find around the levels. Game Informer says their first vehicle was a 4 wheeled kart which they attached a spring to the bottom of that allowed them to jump things. They later found a helicopter blade that allowed their kart to fly. Later they added balloons to the vehicle and put the blade on the back and created a hovercraft.
- RARE showed them a vehicle that was a monster truck that was able to detach its chassis to become a mini bike. When the bike ramped off a cliff it revealed collapsible glider wings and started flying.
- There will be 1,600 parts including weapons that you'll be able to attach to the vehicles.
- The town is called Showdown Town.
- GI says that despite the large focus on vehicles it still features platform elements from the previous games like traditional platforming, tight rope walking and jiggy piece collecting.
- Showdown Town is 16 times larger than anything RARE has ever created before.
- Every level has a different intro. Nutty Acres begins with a credits spoof of 80's soap opera's like Dallas.
- Building vehicles is basically like playing with LEGO. You can always, at any time in the game, jump in and out of the vehicle editor and come right back to the game with the new design.
- Parts are easily placed and moved around. You don't have to worry about connecting the motor with the wheels for example. Just place everything so they stick together and don't get in the way.
- Vehicle designs play a large role in missions. We saw one where you had to collect coconuts from a field and a small truck was built with a sucker to suck them up. Unfortunately you couldn't fit all the coconuts in the truck. A big barrel was noticed near by... we were then shown how you could create a helicopter with a hook, that could pick up this large barrel, fly to the coconut field and fly low to scoop the coconuts in the barrel. With 1600 pieces of vehicle, you can imagine the different ways this could have been tackled. Everybody is going to be playing this game differently from one another, and discussing how they got past certain objectives.
- Physics are awesome in this game! With one design I placed the foot-in-a-box weapon behind a propeller, and when I tried to use it, the foot/boot couldn't get past the propella... well, until I used it enough times to actually kick the propeller off the vehicle, watching myself plummet.
- You can design pixel art for your vehicles. Imagine the possibilities (Rare already had an example of this, paying homage to a certain plumber)
- Multiplayer is great fun with the ability to either chose from pre-fabricated vehicle's, or completely design your own. It showed great promise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i_467431-1.jpg (956.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg i_467424.jpg (919.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg i_467425.jpg (721.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2008.05.12 at 08:27 PM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.12, 08:45 PM   #610
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Collect-a-thons ftl. I never found Banjo to be fun =(