Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.12.12, 04:04 AM   #1131
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Hey, this is the videogames thread, not movies =P
Anyway, I am hyped for Heavy Rain, oh yeah. But if it continue to be PS3 exclusive, my hype will wear down.
Sony are publishing it. There's no chance of it coming out on another console.
Old 2008.12.12, 04:14 AM   #1132
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Sony are publishing it. There's no chance of it coming out on another console.
Let alone making this engine run on the XBox is pretty much impossible.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.12, 04:36 AM   #1133
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Let alone making this engine run on the XBox is pretty much impossible.
I highly doubt that.
Old 2008.12.12, 04:55 AM   #1134
golem09

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
I highly doubt that.
I don't
The XBox IS not as powerful as the ps3. And if I remember the last generation, it was way before the end of the generation that the differences between the consoles became clear.

That said I'm not a graphic whore, and if Heavy Rain would be out for XBox only with first generation graphics I'd be just as excited

But I still don't think the XBox could do this:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2008.12.12 at 04:59 AM.
Old 2008.12.12, 05:07 AM   #1135
Inaudible-Whisper

The GPU's are actually extremely similar. Some (Capcom) would even go as far to say that the 360's is actually superior, but when fully optimized they're both close to being the equivalent to an 8800. The PS3 has a lot of CPU power thanks to the Cell but the architecture is difficult to work with (hence why virtually every third party game has a superior 360 port), and I don't think any company has thus far used the cell in any way that would make a 360 port impossible.

The Killzone 2 engine is superior to Heavy Rain, as far as I can tell, and the actual engine could run fine on the 360. The main problem would be disc space; the demo level alone in Killzone 2 contains 2gb's of textures but with a bit of compression I don't think it would be too far fetched. Of course like Heavy Rain Sony are publishing it so we'll never see it on another console anyway. If Crytek claim to be able to get Crysis running on a 360 "at about high settings" then Heavy Rain would be no bother. Particularly considering a lot of the gameplay consists of QTE's and generated sequences.

I think there will come a point where the PS3 starts generating better looking games that can't be done on the 360, but I don't think it will be for a while and I definitely don't think that game will be Heavy Rain. I would have said the first game to really use the PS3 will be Final Fantasy XIII, but looks what happened there I also don't think it will matter much. The Xbox had technically superior games than the PS2 but that didn't stop the PS2 from having a ton of great games and unbelievable sales. Thus far it appears Microsoft and Sony have switched positions in that regard.
Old 2008.12.12, 07:20 AM   #1136
pocket

pocket pleased at least somebody

I don't think the PS3 will ever reach it's full potential of using the cell processor to the max. Well not unless it's planning to stick around for at least another five years.
pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.12, 07:58 AM   #1137
golem09

Originally Posted by pocket View Post
I don't think the PS3 will ever reach it's full potential of using the cell processor to the max. Well not unless it's planning to stick around for at least another five years.
Which it will for sure. Look what the PS2 managed to produce with God of War 2 and Xenosaga 3

MyAnimelist
Old 2008.12.12, 08:22 AM   #1138
pocket

pocket pleased at least somebody

Yes I definitely believe it will, just like the PS2. I'd really prefer a better selection of games though, than knowing my PS3 is fulfilling its processor's full potential.
pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.12, 09:07 AM   #1139
Inaudible-Whisper

By the time the PS3 fully starts reaching it's potential I can guarantee that Nintendo and Microsoft will unveil their new consoles. I'm thinking E3 2010 for the unveiling and a 2011/12 release. By this point the PS3 will have picked up some steam and it will have a good array of first party titles, but I think it's way to late for it to catch up with the competition in any meaningful way, in the west at least.
Old 2008.12.14, 03:00 PM   #1140
Inaudible-Whisper

Anybody watching the Spike Video Game Awards later? You can stream it here. Usually I wouldn't watch such tripe, but they have a lot of exclusive trailers and announcements. It airs 6pm Pacific/9pm EST/2am GMT and the exclusive trailers known thus far include GTAIV: The Lost and the Damned, God of War 3 (In game, supposedly), Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, Gears of War 2 DLC, Fight Night Round 4 plus "2 surprises". Hideo Kojima will be attending, so I hope we can expect something in regards to the recent tease which garnered a lot of "Metal Gear 360!!!!!1" crys (and a hilarious NeoGAF thread). Spike also (accidentally?) aired some rehearsal footage earlier which gave away an announcement of Pearl Jam's 'Ten' album for Rock Band . Anyway, I'll watch it if I'm awake and bored but expect all of the good stuff to be on Gametrailers soon after anyway.