Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.03.11, 12:41 PM   #21
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Tadashii Machi is a bad performance, IMO. It does get slightly better as it goes on, but that opening wail sounds like she's trying to butcher the song on purpose.
WHOA your way over exaggerating. I opened the preview again expecting the worst and had to repeat it twice to try and find the small section that you could interpret that way.

coping with singer's changing vocals over their years is difficult, I'm in the process of doing that for at least three artists, all slowly becoming more middle-aged. I guess its just something we as the fans have to expect if we want them to continue their car. I'm sure in Ringo's case after years of screeching and smoking and wailing her voice is a little bit damaged by now.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 12:46 PM   #22
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Hell, I broke my rule of waiting for the DVD to hear this butchery! and I heard none (7 times I watched) I thought it was actually quite fine also remember that it's a big venue so it's to be expected she'd put a bit more power behind it, but it was still good in my view.

(and this is coming from a nu-Shiina critic)
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 02:06 PM   #23
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

No, I just stumbled across the tadashii preview on youtube. I thought you would have it already, and was relying on your impressions =P

I can't get the DVD, so I'm going to have to rely on youtube trickle in order to see the concert, unfortunately. Like with Zazen. =X
Oh, ok!
Well, I agree with you on "Tadashi Machii", unfortunately. I remember watching the video along with Yahiko and (text)screaming "OMG This bitch killed yet another song!" :x
Ok, I know, overreacting, but I was excited at that time =P The rest was pretty decent anyway. The problem is the opening. She can't really scream as she used to.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 02:23 PM   #24
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It sounded like someone trying to imitate Ringo screaming, and not in the 'Oh, not bad' Utada Hikaru way.

Not a terribly huge deal, as it's not a gimmick she relies on (Ringo no Uta, Hatsukoi Shoujo, heck, KZK! I also like her screaming in OSCA). Now I'm wondering if the orchestral arrangement will be the only thing that goes wrong with Expo Tsumi no Batsu =P

I have no doubt that she'll deliver on the other performances. Please do Yami...Furu Ame justice please do Yami...Furu Ame justice
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 03:12 PM   #25
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'm waiting for someone to put it up on rapidshare. *hint hint*
Old 2009.03.11, 04:03 PM   #26
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

"
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 04:40 PM   #27
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

It's not toooooo bad. Just sounds like it needs some more umph, or something.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 10:00 PM   #28
kuro_neko

soooooo I didn't see a product review page yet for this release. I figured once one gets started perhaps the mods could move this post there? Anyways, my copy came in the mail today. They weren't kidding when people said the packaging was kind of sparse. The DVD isn't in its own seperate sleeve or mounted plastic disc, it literally sits on the bottom of the box, which has a dvd prong glued to it.

The show was pretty good, it started off very slow I have to admit. She just didn't seem into it at first, a lot of the songs she did early on, up until Yami ni Furu Ame, they seemed kind of going through the motions, like she was performing them because it was her anniversary and she had to do the singles. It was some of the strange choices that really came off amazing in this show. Tsumi to Batsu orchestra version, say what you want, but in this concert her performance of it is AMAZING and the lighting and entire thing top to bottom is sexy as hell. They didn't really utilize the stage at all early on, the lighting was bland and the set up was boring, but starting with Yokushitsu it starts to get really creative and a lot of fun.

Out of the entire bunch Sakuran is vocally the weakest I'd say. My most surprisingly enjoyable performance was the Onion Song. She seemed so happy, she was beaming at her brother and singing along on the parts she wasn't singing for, not into the mic of course.

Mikan no Kawa was cute and the new song was really grand, the way it opens and flows over you. If you notice it says the song title is temporary and she mentions that she has been writing this song off and on, so while it is possible it might be from an earlier generation of work, the arrangement here is probably something she did specifically for this show, and I thought it really worked. Some songs weren't so strong with the orchestra. Blackout, for one. I thought it would be great because someone cited it as why Ukigumi fails and how this version PWNS Jihen and I think that is a huge overstatement. Much of what makes Blackout so much fun is the twirling melody centered around the harpsichord and with that replace by flutes and an orchestra, it just didn't feel as much fun to me.

Ringo, on a whole, seemed a bit distant. She came through during some songs, channeling that inner beast, but she seemed aloof and every time she addressed the audience she said the EXACT SAME THING (minus one part at the very end), and when she left the last encore she just kind of waved and turned, like she was escaping. I don't know, I sit and compare this to seeing her perform with Jihen and when she is with Jihen she just seems more herself, happier, chattier, angrier, more willing to experiment vocally and throw herself into it. I mean I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather see Ringo throw herself into it and try, even if she falls on her ass, rather than play it cold and cool like she has done recently when performing solo.

It is almost like she forgot who she used to be, who that "shiina ringo" of yore was, and she is inpersonating herself, or at least who she was portraying herself to be several years ago. which just goes to prove the point that it was an alt persona all along like she had been saying and her real nature is the Ringo we see with Jihen.

But overall it was a good show. I'm just excited to see what happens from here.
Old 2009.03.11, 10:36 PM   #29
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Many thanks for the review!

I did have suspicions on the line of her 'imitating her former self' and she didn't seem as happy and 'into it' as she was in, say, Dynamite Out! or Just Can't Help it! or whatever. It's completely fine that she prefers performing with Tokyo Jihen, despite what I think of them. I honestly don't care if she's 'rebellious rock' Shiina Ringo , I just want to hear more brilliant music by her. But she obviously doesn't have a huge ego and would rather just have fun with the band instead of 'being a genius.' Of course, this could all just be made up since none of us know the damn woman. It's a tricky situation.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 10:55 PM   #30
kuro_neko

Many thanks for the review!

I did have suspicions on the line of her 'imitating her former self' and she didn't seem as happy and 'into it' as she was in, say, Dynamite Out! or Just Can't Help it! or whatever. It's completely fine that she prefers performing with Tokyo Jihen, despite what I think of them. I honestly don't care if she's 'rebellious rock' Shiina Ringo , I just want to hear more brilliant music by her. But she obviously doesn't have a huge ego and would rather just have fun with the band instead of 'being a genius.' Of course, this could all just be made up since none of us know the damn woman. It's a tricky situation.
yeah, I guess what I mean is that sometimes when I watch her live its like watching a medium channel some energy or some powerful force. somewhere ringo got lost in the transition, she is like a doll, or a puppet, she doesn't seem to have her own emotions or personality, she is just kind of a blank slate and the songs wash over her and she goes through each one, changing. with Jihen, she tends to be relaxed and you can sense the person underneath it all. You get snippets of it during this live, pieces where she lets go and you see the momentary emotions play across her face, not something rehearsed and controlled. but it isn't the same as watching one of her earlier lives, where you get a sense that she i actually feeling the strength that plays across her. here, she seems a little more distant. it might have been the venue. It was a good live. And in the end, like you said, what do any of us know.

on a show related note: they have the Japanese in subtitles for the sections about her debut and her childhood life, as well as what her son read about her. they were long stretches of text so until one manages to be transcribed online by some crazy japanese fans its a bit too long to sit and translate. but the general gist of it isn't anything too amazing, just her basic bio and some fun info about her childhood. they have this bit about her birth and how due to her illness she almost died and if it wasn't for a certain doctor she wouldn't be here, and they had really touching pictures of her as a baby with what looked like either a stray hair, or rather what I thought was a tube, coming out of her nose.