Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.05.18, 02:58 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default What do you think of her voice now?

This discussion's happened here and there in other threads, but I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

On one hand, I hate where it's gone (It sounded strangely unstable in some places in EXPO. Her voice is a bit higher as whole, too). On the other, I think it still 'works,' and it hasn't changed THAT much (Again, EXPO Tsumi to Batsu). Oh shit, I'm sitting on the fence. I guess I'm happy with it (Oh shit, I'm being too NICE), but there are certain quirks from the early days that I haven't heard in a while. Ariamaru Tomi sounds like one of her old songs, and she does that well.

(B.B Queen SOTC was also awesome)

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.05.18 at 03:02 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.18, 03:22 AM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I prefer her earliest vocals as a signed EMI artist, because the quirks were one of the main things that set her apart from other vocalists. I'm not a big fan of the Dynamite Out version of Koko de Kiss Shite not because the vocals were 'bad', but because the quirks aren't there. On the otherhand I don't like the way the single/album version was produced. So for me the best version is the demo you can find as a bonus feature in Baishou Ecstasy. It's quirkier vocals with less distractions.

I also like many of the demos that don't have videos, mainly for their quirks.

Now I wouldn't go so far as to say that her quirky vocals are her ONLY good vocals. Kokoro (especially on Dynamite Out) is a very solid performance that I couldn't imagine hearing from a younger Shiina Ringo. Plus for an album like Adult, it's better that the vocals aren't quirky.

I don't think she's "losing it" with her vocals. Her vocals are simply changing not necessarily for better or worse. What's more important than whether or not her vocals are quirky, is if she's putting her modern vocals into a composition/arrangement that fits well with her vocal attitude at the time.
Old 2009.05.18, 03:30 AM   #3
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Yes.

And you could argue that some of those 'quirks' were absent in KZK.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.18, 03:49 AM   #4
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

hmmm, this is a discussion that I see on a lot of different forums for many different artists. as a woman, it is inevitable that ringo's voice is going to change a lot as she gets older, although I don't think she lost that quality in her voice that gives her what I consider her main appeal. her very very early stuff (demos and pre MM) has a certain quality to it that can only be what might be termed her adolescent voice. I think a lot of her vocals are also left up to production, because I think the way she sounds in ariamaru tomi has gone against the general grain of what her voice has sounded like recently for Tokyo Jihen.

that being said, I prefer the sound of her voice in Ariamaru Tomi to how it was on Variety and I preferred Ringo's voice on Adult to Kyouiku. Out of her three albums, I'd say I prefer SS and KZK ringo's voice to pre-mm and demo tape ringo.

overall, she hasn't had a radical enough change to really make drastic changes quite yet. some of the artists I listen to have had much more severe changes in their upper register and ringo seems to be hitting those screechy notes just the same more or less.

edit: on a random side note I think as a matter of personal preference that the reason I don't like Ringo's voice on some stuff is due to the production. Her voice is so rich it needs to retain its nature resonance and bass tones, that deep quality is what makes it so beautiful. on a lot of the "cleaner" songs you loose it and then it just starts to sound....dead? shrill? It is a bit hard to describe. overly produced is the word.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.18, 07:30 AM   #5
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
overall, she hasn't had a radical enough change to really make drastic changes quite yet. some of the artists I listen to have had much more severe changes in their upper register and ringo seems to be hitting those screechy notes just the same more or less.
No, you're wrong. She can't wail anymore like she used to and her voice sucks, therefore, she's DEAD
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.18, 11:49 AM   #6
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think her voice now works well with the jazzy style she's adopted. "Koi wa Maboroshi" is gorgeous and her voice is perfect in it.

Though I do like her MM voice best. But that's probably because I'm a bit infatuated with raw youthful exuberance which her first album exemplifies.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.18, 03:27 PM   #7
clowezra

clowezra is headed in the right direction

As mizer said, her vocals are really suiting the styles she's adopting. Either way, I enjoyed EXPO-it definitely wasn't as good as previous concerts, and I can definitely see a change-but I still believe her voice has the spark that makes her stand out from other artists.
Old 2009.05.19, 07:20 PM   #8
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I still really like her voice. She's also singing music that suits it well. If you want to hear a voice that's completely shot, listen to Brian Johnson of AC/DC on the records "Back In Black" and "For Those About To Rock (We Salute You)" and then on "Stiff Upper Lip". I mean, yeah, he screamed to begin with but you can tell it destroyed his voice.
Old 2009.05.20, 12:51 PM   #9
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

She has more control over her voice and has improved greatly as a singer. I think getting older has ripened her tone.

or maybe its the smoking? I noticed some brownish teeth on the Expo 08 closeups
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.23, 04:25 PM   #10
Nebularus

Nebularus is headed in the right direction

I think SR's voice gets better with age and I love her "more mature" voice. When she reaches down for the low notes (i.e. Kesho Naoshi from Dai Ikkai Ringohan Taikai no Moyou)..........pure ecstasy~
Nebularus is offline   Reply With Quote