Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.01.13, 07:30 PM   #71
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

It's so weird that she says she hates ambient, because that is the music that she makes. Has Pitchfork-hipster-dom now come where musicians are making music that they actively hate because it's "ironic"?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.13, 07:47 PM   #72
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The video shows she's a normal person. Why does she have to look so weird in those music videos...her album covers all look like they were inspired by Birthday Party's Junkyard.

Not everything atmospheric is ambient. Ambient is the kind of music hipsters use to soothe their nerves after listening to 5 seconds of AC/DC.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.13, 08:10 PM   #73
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Ambient music can be more intense than AC/DC...especially since AC/DC isn't all that intense to begin with...

I'm not going to say Grimes hasn't made any good songs, but the misses I find pretty woeful. Her schtick is overbearing and it amazes me how people lap it up.

But here we are talking about her.
Old 2013.02.06, 07:33 AM   #74
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default ILM Poll Results

Was debating about posting this, but what the heck. It's difficult to know what to point to. The poll rollout thread is incredibly huge and since ILM is just a board, there's no final polished presentation of results. Here are the spreadsheets for albums and tracks:

Albums Spreadsheet
Tracks Spreadsheet

And for the patient, here are the rollout threads. You do get some nice graphics this way (plus lots of discussion, some of it wortwhile, some of it just the usual inside joking and sniping). There is a sort of crease in the display, so if you want to see the whole thread, you have to scroll down to somewhere near the middle and click where it says to click if you want to load all the message:

Albums Rollout Thread
Tracks Rollout Thread

I don't have a lot to say about the results. Not many of my votes placed but I do think a lot of this stuff is good. On the other hand, some of it just leaves me shaking my head.

Also, there's more explanation of what the spreadsheet columns mean, here, along with some individual ballots, etc.:

Albums, Supplemental Bullshit
Tracks, Supplemental Bullshit

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2013.02.06 at 08:16 AM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.06, 11:32 AM   #75
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen and contemporary R&B are like three of my favourite things.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote