Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.08.15, 03:34 AM   #11
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I've finished 17 of those 21 games
Nice to see Nocturne, Skies and Valkyrie Profile in there as I adored those games, but where was FF Tactics? it usually gets a mention in these lists. :/

And FFVIII is better than VII.

Edit: anybody played Koudelka? (PS1) it was like Resident Evil but with turn based battles! doesn't seem to get a lot of press but I thought it was pretty solid with a good atmosphere about it.

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2009.08.15 at 03:40 AM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.15, 09:55 AM   #12
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

That list was trash. Final Fantasy VIII, X, and XII made the list while IX didn't? FFIV, VI, and VIII got lumped into one slot the previously mentioned games and V got their own separate spots? Balls. Not even a mention of my favorite series Lunar...
Old 2009.08.15, 10:55 AM   #13
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

How can Lunar be your favorite?
(below I'm speaking only about Silver Star Story Complete because I didn't play the next game)

Most of the characters have 2-dimensional personalities, and no history worth noting. The only remotely deep characters are the two who had twists (Magic Emperor and Dyne).

There's no rare loot worth noting. You know exactly what to expect, every time you kill a non-boss, and the only reason(s) to kill them are basically for experience, and sometimes money.

The only thing you can do to "get ahead" is level grind, and the game makes the boss fight(s) progressively more difficult all the way up to Level 50.

---

Now is Eternal Blue any better? Am I seriously missing out?
Old 2009.08.15, 11:17 AM   #14
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ I could say those same things about most RPGs, especially the SMT games which happens to be my other favorite series.

The Sega CD version is superior to SSSC. Much better story, dungeons, battles, and music. However, the characters are mostly the same. They have hardly any history (how is that bad?), but they have loads of personality when interacting with each other even in the PSX version. They make the game as awesome as it is. You are the only person I've ever heard weren't the best part of the game. Of course, I can see if you don't care for Working Designs very dated humor/translation.

Eternal Blue is better than the original. The PSX version is almost as good as the Sega CD version this time. It actually follows the original story this time, but still has horribly simplified dungeons and worse music. The characters have more history, but it's still probably not what you're looking for.
Old 2009.08.15, 12:08 PM   #15
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Planescape: Torment is the greatest RPG. Argument over.

As for Japanese RPG, it's either Chrono Trigger or Shadow Hearts (Sequel to Koudelka that Ringo Bingo mentioned). I find most JRPGs quite tedious tbh, with their anime plots. I actually don't mind grinding THAT much. It's just that most JRPGs that aren't called Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or Dragon Quarter or belong to the SRPG sub-genre have annoying battle systems where it's OK to just bash A the whole way through.

Skies of Arcadia and Mother series are good, though.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.16, 04:43 AM   #16
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Xenogears wins thread, simply no competition.
Comparing usual RPGs to Xenogears is like comparing Disney movies to The Godfather.
And although I LOVED Chrono Trigger (played it twice, which I did with no other rpg ever) I think I would still rank Dragon Quest 7 higher. Because it's fucking brilliant.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.16, 04:55 AM   #17
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
where was FF Tactics? it usually gets a mention in these lists.
it says in the beginning of the article that action RPGs and strategy RPGs were purposely excluded from the list. I guess the writer wanted to stay focused on one genre?

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Planescape: Torment is the greatest RPG. Argument over.

As for Japanese RPG, it's either Chrono Trigger or Shadow Hearts (Sequel to Koudelka that Ringo Bingo mentioned).
yeaaaah
Shadow Hearts 2 and Planescape Torment are in my personal top 5 RPGs . I didn't like Chrono Trigger, though. *ducks*

Planescape Torment was great because it managed to give you the freedom and complexity of western RPGs with the tight plot, characters and emotional involvement of Japanese RPGs.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.16, 05:45 AM   #18
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

^ ahh I never noticed that as I just skimmed through the list.
I also don't like Chrono Trigger *stands firm*
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.16, 07:11 AM   #19
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
Planescape Torment was great because it managed to give you the freedom and complexity of western RPGs with the tight plot, characters and emotional involvement of Japanese RPGs.
Yes, exactly! It's linear, but the journey is non-linear, and a lot of the optional stuff you do feeds into the main quest. Plus it's so well written. You have great taste =)

I can understand what you guys mean with Chrono Trigger. RPG fans constantly babble about it as if it's the second coming. Really, there's nothing special about it -- it's just extremely well-executed, IMO. I also have a soft spot for RPGs that make me feel like I'm on a grand happy adventure -- which is also why I enjoy Skies of Arcadia so much.

Hmm...

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
And although I LOVED Chrono Trigger (played it twice, which I did with no other rpg ever) I think I would still rank Dragon Quest 7 higher. Because it's fucking brilliant.
Dragon Quest is another great JRPG series that doesn't take itself too seriously. I want to try 7, but I heard that it's extremely time consuming. Like around 100 hours.

A few recent RPGs I've liked is The World Ends With You and Persona 4. Although I just said that I hate a lot of JRPGs for being anime-ish, the above games rise above that for being unique and being set in modern day settings (Which is such a breath of fresh air)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.16, 07:18 AM   #20
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Dragon Quest is another great JRPG series that doesn't take itself too seriously. I want to try 7, but I heard that it's extremely time consuming. Like around 100 hours.
Yeah, it IS pretty long, I wouldn't say 100 hours, but still long.
And it takes itself quite serious, which is an exception for what I've played of DQ so far. It's just extremely well written, and completely addictive.
DQ always tends to episode like stories, but with the backgroundstory of DQ7, this way of storytelling is brought to perfection.
Just don't let yourself drag down by the 2 hour intro without any fights

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote