Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.05.05, 09:23 AM   #1
chii

chii is headed in the right direction
Default Atoms for Peace/Radiohead

Hey guys

I feel like fans of Ringo will have an understand and/or appreciation for especially what Radiohead does musically. They have a really complex and subtle sound that has evolved over time.

Atoms for Peace is definitely more abstract, but I love the vibes. The repetition is almost hypnotic. Love it.

How do you guys feel?
chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.28, 03:10 AM   #2
PJace808

PJace808 pleased at least somebody

Oh gosh, Radiohead is my favorite western band of all time. I feel that there's definitely a connection in the way that both artists are able to craft their songs so masterfully. There is so much attention to detail for both artists whether it be through the control of sounds or silence.
PJace808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.02, 06:26 PM   #3
chii

chii is headed in the right direction

YES! THAT RIGHT THERE! "through the control of sounds OR SILENCE(!!!!!)"

Thank you for saying that. So many people don't recognize how important silence is in music. It's like punctuation.
chii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.02, 06:36 PM   #4
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I think theyre pretty good, they work both as their own thing and also as the entry level (accessible but a bit weird) band into more experimental territory.

While lately I haven't really been listening to them, I'm sure the day will come when I go back on a Radiohead binge, it happens at least once a year.
Old 2014.10.17, 07:43 PM   #5
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Any opinions on the new Phil Selway/Thom Yorke albums?

I haven't delved into Phil's as much as I should and I've listened to Thom's far more than I should (according to Pitchfork, who through their infinite wisdom hipster bestowed a rushed out, less than favorable review and score upon it- are way off the mark I feel- as they were with The King of Limbs).

Thom's album is very much a grower album. On first spin, you might think 'well, that was 30 minutes of nothing'- and I can't blame you. For indeed, on surface level, not much happens. A last.fm comment about it made me laugh because I can imagine it being true 'sounds like Thom made this in his underwear'.......

However. The more you listen (if indeed you come back after that initial spin) the more it slowly reveals itself and it becomes very addicting. The patient listener will be rewarded with a very calming, beautiful little album that is easy to switch on at almost any occasion. Pink Section/Nose Grows Some are the highlight tracks for me here- they provide some of the most gloriously beautiful melodies heard on a Thom Yorke related release since In Rainbows. It may even work its way into my top 20 list of 2014.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.17 at 07:52 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote