Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.01.04, 11:08 PM   #11
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by digdad View Post
Yeah, June to be specific. I think it's his best since Flaming Pie, which was the best since Tug of War. Every 10 to 15 years he puts out a doozie. Let's see, his next one should be due when he's about 75.
Haha, I agree. Tug of War and Flaming Pie are two of his best. However, I thought Chaos and Creation in the Backyard was a bit better than Memory Almost Full. For one, his voice was a lot easier to listen to. Personally, I don't mind his old man vocals like I know other people do, but his newer music is something I'm not often able to recommend to others because of them.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.05, 09:25 AM   #12
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Haha, I agree. Tug of War and Flaming Pie are two of his best. However, I thought Chaos and Creation in the Backyard was a bit better than Memory Almost Full. For one, his voice was a lot easier to listen to. Personally, I don't mind his old man vocals like I know other people do, but his newer music is something I'm not often able to recommend to others because of them.
I do like Chaos, but it just slows down too much for long periods. Actually Memory is predominantly made up of songs he left off of Chaos. He should have left some of them on, it would have made for a better, more upbeat album.
digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.05, 09:31 AM   #13
fluffiethesock

Two-disc record would've been nice.
Old 2008.01.05, 09:46 AM   #14
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The Gray Album
digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.05, 10:44 AM   #15
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by digdad View Post
Heisei Fuuzoku - Shiina Ringo
Niiice
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.05, 11:28 AM   #16
fluffiethesock

That Beatles rap jawn?
Old 2008.01.05, 02:33 PM   #17
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

In no particular order:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Babyshambles - Shotter's Nation
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
Feist - The Reminder
Asobi Seksu - Citrus
Jakobínarína - The First Crusade
GO!GO!7188 - 569
M.I.A - Kala
Bjork - Volta
Old 2008.01.05, 06:40 PM   #18
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

A tie for first between Feist's "The Reminder" (mind-blowingly gorgeous vocals and songwriting, plus she used to live down the street from me and I still see her around sometimes) and Tegan & Sara's "The Con" (Tegan & Sara, of whom I've never thought much before, made a stunning album of dark and melancholy acoustic obsessive hyper-catchy electro-folk pop).

A tie for second between Heisei Fuuzoku (enough said) and Tarja Turunen's "My Winter Storm" (the former lead singer of Nightwish gets kicked out and makes an album on her own inspired by movie music and enlists the help of Hans Zimmer—the results are a collection of songs perfectly tailored to her heart-meltingly operatic voice that far surpass anything Nightwish has ever done in my mind).
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.05, 08:13 PM   #19
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by madpawn View Post
she used to live down the street from me and I still see her around sometimes.
lucky bastard.

I can't wait for what she's gonna do next, I wish she would release a concert dvd already! I watched her concert on MSN awhile back (it has been taken down) and her arrangement of Let it Die was amazing!

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.05, 11:58 PM   #20
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Just like with 2006, I'm going to avoid using this thread as if it were:
"Favorite artists who released albums in 2007"

For example, Sherbets is one of my favorite artists, but Miracle didn't blow me away like their older material did. Same with GO!GO!7188's 569 album. The jampacked bonus DVDs for each of those albums, redeemed the value of what I got for my money, but even then, I can't call the albums themselves 'favorites'. KINGDOM from THE RODEO CARBURETTOR was a good album, but not great enough album to make to my list, and not to sound like a broken record, but their older material is better. Best of Tokyo Ska 1998-2007 was also good, but I don't entirely agree with their choices of which songs to include or omit, and I felt that Answer had better tracks on average (though a lot of Answer was in this compilation).

Asai Kenichi's CHELSEA album is one of my favorites of 2007. Rod Snake Shock Service used to be my favorite of the "X2" releases on June 27th, but I've warmed up to CHELSEA more since then. It's definitely better than Miracle.

I'm quite happy with my Ghost In The Shell CD-Box, but that might be an illegitimate entry for being a compilation with one added song.

Hirama's When I feel the sun in tokyo is better than Variety. And I don't mean to be a Phase 2 hater when I say that, because Variety is definitely better than Yume to Negoto. I love more of the songs on Hirama's latest album, especially Sainara - which is more groovy than any other new songs I've heard in 2007, except perhaps some of In Rainbows.

Funny Day & Hard Night from PE'Z, was a grand approach to resuming their career, after 18 months of no original albums. In some ways I like a lot of their older material better, but this puts up proportionately more of a fight than many other artists' recent releases were compared to their own previous material.

Heisei Fuuzoku is barely on my list. Helps that it's available in 96kHz/24bit, and that Hatsukoi Shoujo is one of the most eerie songs Shiina Ringo has pumped out in a long time (and in a very Yasunori Mitsuda kind of way - this warrants bonus points for me). The instrumental version of Yokushitsu is epic too.

And none of the lists in this thread would be complete without In Rainbows. It doesn't even need an explanation.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote