Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.07.03, 09:08 PM   #151
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by brad-t View Post
This is, at best, an objectively OK album when removed from context. But the reality is that this is (arguably) the worst album to date from a formerly amazing group who, by their fifth album, should not be producing something like this. Not only that, but all the ground that's covered on this album has been done with a higher level of quality already, so, as I just said -- better to spend your time listening to something better.
I don't disagree, but I can't say it's anything but typical. The large majority of decent bands/artists usually start out great, maybe peak a little afterward and then either plateau or spiral downward for years. Not that it's any consolation, but I suppose we're lucky she's at least plateaued at somewhere above decent as opposed to falling into abject mediocrity.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.03, 09:16 PM   #152
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing View Post
That being said, I agree that EMI Japan is very much to blame for many of the album's faults...
Hm. Interesting take there. Why is EMI Japan to blame for the faults of the album?
Old 2011.07.04, 04:46 AM   #153
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Some of the songs on this album are fast becoming some of my favourites of the band's entire discography. Like Dopamint. But I expect I will be alone on this.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 06:39 AM   #154
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

After reading through some reviews, I was a little disappointed with which songs received a lot of criticism and I lost most of my desire to listen to the album again. I ended up taking a couple days off from the forum and I soon regained my taste for it. I came back to catch up on the reviews and now I'm not as excited about it anymore. If anyone else is having this problem, I recommend taking a few days off and forming your own opinions of the songs.

(this says nothing against negative reviews... I just think it's easy for people who may naturally enjoy a piece of music to feel discouraged/persuaded when it's spoken of negatively)

Also, I agree that the album is sort of loosely-woven, and I'm still confused by the ending. I'm not sure if I prefer track 13 or 14 as the album closer... I honestly wish they had just left the original Tengoku off to make it easier.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 08:03 AM   #155
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Ah shit. EMF is going to be pretty silent until the next album comes out.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 09:22 AM   #156
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by chibijelly View Post
13. 女の子は誰でも

What are you even DOING on this album? I enjoy this song as a fun, fluffy b-side. But that's about it. It completely ruins the flow of the album.
Well, it's not a B-side; the single was a double-A-side so it's logical that it made it onto the album, even though it really does have that out-of-place B-side feel.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 11:21 AM   #157
spinnigold

spinnigold is headed in the right direction

I think the fact that we heard the vast majority of the album before it came out-- as in, both tracks of the singles were in the album-- Tengoku, Dopamint, and so on--so it felt like...I'd heard too much of it to be excited?

It did feel like they wrote some things and then thought about sticking it together as an album, rather than sat down and wrote a whole album in one go, so to speak.

That said, I ended up making a playlist of just Kinjirareta Asobi and Kaze ni Ayakatte Ike because I love them both so much. They're good fun to bake cakes to, jsyk pfffft
spinnigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 11:58 AM   #158
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by spinnigold View Post
I think the fact that we heard the vast majority of the album before it came out-- as in, both tracks of the singles were in the album-- Tengoku, Dopamint, and so on--so it felt like...I'd heard too much of it to be excited?
not counting singles, songs debuted during concerts, cover songs, or songs released prior to the album release as promotional songs.

daihakken has: 8 songs

Sports and Variety had 9
Adult had 7

I left Kyouiku out because it was the band and they started touring as Tokyo Jihen ahead of the album's release so a good half of that album was floating around in live performances/singles.

I don't think people are disappointed because we had two double a-side singles on the album.

On a whole this album sticks out as the least defined theme. The work doesn't necessarily reflect the theme and as a whole the production of the songs doesn't do a lot to separate it from past efforts. With the exception of a couple tracks, most of the album feels like songs could belong to other themes. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think that since the band has, for better of worse, strived to release albums relating to certain themes, complete with a sound and a look, it makes this album feel like a failure and rushed in that sense.

This album actually feels more like Kyouiku to me than any of the other albums because it has a very loosely defined theme which doesn't necessarily dictate the sound of the album. It feels like a reboot and a fresh start for the band. I hope going forward the band continues to work around loose themes and realize the importance of production and editing over writing songs to fit a certain label.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 01:41 PM   #159
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
This album actually feels more like Kyouiku to me than any of the other albums because it has a very loosely defined theme which doesn't necessarily dictate the sound of the album. It feels like a reboot and a fresh start for the band. I hope going forward the band continues to work around loose themes and realize the importance of production and editing over writing songs to fit a certain label.
I like this way of looking at it.

The more I listen to Daihakken, the more I agree with brad-t, in that everything on it has been done better before. There's the Adult-ish tracks, the Sports carryovers, the Variety rejects, and the pop tunes that aren't significantly better than any previous Kameda track or anything else. The whole thing feels like a mediocre rehashing of all their previous work and really just makes me want to listen to the better examples instead.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 06:04 PM   #160
das_blibber

Location: Body: Cologne, Germany - Spirit: somewhere in this Universe
das_blibber is headed in the right direction

boah, i always disliked phase2 (maybe, except "adult"), but now i am in love again! this is a well crafted and artful album. i love surprises like this

off-topic monster
das_blibber is offline   Reply With Quote