Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Community Center > Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2008.08.19, 01:21 PM   #1
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer
Default Uploading Files (Internet In General)

When I go To The Speedtest Website It Says That My Upload Is Well Into 500KBS+ Yet When I try To Upload A File On The Net I max Out At 50KBS?
And That's With Using File Factory Turbo!! (Without That I'm At 35KBS) I'm Behind A Router But Surely That Cannot Be Taking All Of That Upload Capacity? If I were To Connect Directly To The Modem And Disconnect The Router Completely Would I really Realise That Kind Of Speed In Upload? Or At The Least Better Than My Current!

I Ask First Because It'll Be An Effort To Connect Directly And Wanna Check This Out First!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.19, 01:29 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Internet/networking companies reference your speed by kilobits or megabits or gigabits per second, instead of kilobytes or megabytes or gigabytes per second. There are 8 bits in a byte, therefore if you rate something in bits, it makes the amount seem like 8 times more to the untrained consumer.

500kbps is more like 62 KB/s. That's under ideal circumstances, without any bottlenecks on the other end, for wherever you are uploading to.
Old 2008.08.19, 01:33 PM   #3
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Ahh, I'll be settling for 50 KB/s Then it seems
1 Hour 20 is quite a wait just to upload 250/300 MB
Old 2008.08.19, 01:34 PM   #4
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
What's up with your writing, Bingo?
I was kinda in a trance when I was writing that!
Old 2008.08.27, 01:01 AM   #5
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
When I go To The Speedtest Website It Says That My Upload Is Well Into 500KBS+ Yet When I try To Upload A File On The Net I max Out At 50KBS?
And That's With Using File Factory Turbo!! (Without That I'm At 35KBS) I'm Behind A Router But Surely That Cannot Be Taking All Of That Upload Capacity? If I were To Connect Directly To The Modem And Disconnect The Router Completely Would I really Realise That Kind Of Speed In Upload? Or At The Least Better Than My Current!

I Ask First Because It'll Be An Effort To Connect Directly And Wanna Check This Out First!
There is a limit on the amount of capitals you can use every day (CQ, Cap Quota), built into the TCP/IP stack. If you exceed that within 24 hours, the normal thing your ISP does is limit your upload speeds. This took me many months to figure out.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote