Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.04.15, 10:30 AM   #871
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Fair enough, but I still see people here giving the album crap when it completely better than most of the REAL crap that is being put out as "music" these days. Somebody refered to OSCA as "sonic waste"; whenever I turn on the radio all I hear is REAL "sonic waste".
There was a time on these forums when nobody forgot my name. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I guess being the longest tenured, active member of this community has its ups and downs.

Would you like a slightly different perspective on the radio comment? In Japan, OSCA is the shit you hear when you turn on the pop/top 40 radio. It's the equivalent of the nameless "sonic waste" you claim to hear on the radio. It blends in with any other boring J-pop I would turn off. It's not Ke$ha bad, but not much is. I also don't think it's wrong to hold a band who writes all its own material to higher standards than a flavor of the week "pop" artist.

I suggest you find a better set of radio stations. My hour-long ride to school was pleasant thanks to my local station consistently playing stuff I like. Tonight, Tonight by the Smashing Pumpkins is currently playing on my station (92.3 Cleveland).
Old 2011.04.15, 10:54 AM   #872
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Got Jesus on my neck-a-lus-lus-lus-lus
Old 2011.04.16, 06:12 AM   #873
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Would you like a slightly different perspective on the radio comment? In Japan, OSCA is the shit you hear when you turn on the pop/top 40 radio. It's the equivalent of the nameless "sonic waste" you claim to hear on the radio. It blends in with any other boring J-pop I would turn off. It's not Ke$ha bad, but not much is. I also don't think it's wrong to hold a band who writes all its own material to higher standards than a flavor of the week "pop" artist.

I suggest you find a better set of radio stations. My hour-long ride to school was pleasant thanks to my local station consistently playing stuff I like. Tonight, Tonight by the Smashing Pumpkins is currently playing on my station (92.3 Cleveland).
I'm new here. At least I recognize Jihad.

No, because it totally isn't. You know what's on Japanese radio these days? Arashi. Arashi and AKB48. And Nishino Kana. And Kimura Kaela. And Hamasaki FUCKING Ayumi. If you try to listen to rock, you get stuck with any of the MILLION shitty Visual-Kei bands who DO care more about how than look than any music they make.
I would LOVE to find a Japanese radio station that plays Midori, but they don't exist.
Are you seriously trying to tell me that OSCA is equivalent to any song released by those "musicians"? I think Uki deserves more credit than that.

Also, something being top 40? Doesn't mean it is bad. After all, KZK (the gold standard of Shiina-ness) reached #1 on Oricon, sold 400,000 copies, and was in the top 30 albums of 2003.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.04.16 at 06:16 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.16, 08:32 AM   #874
Maou

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Are you seriously trying to tell me that OSCA is equivalent to any song released by those "musicians"? I think Uki deserves more credit than that.
No and that's not what I said. Your example is like if Britney Spears, Cristina Aguilera, and Justin Bieber (generic pop artists of varying quality) came on and then Paramore (generic pop-rock) started playing. Yeah, Paramore seems awesome in comparison, but they still suck. Tokyo Jihen is like Paramore in this example. TJ is the slightly different mainstream sound that takes deserves more credit. And no, I'm not saying Paramore's music is similar Tokyo Jihen's. It's just that they fit in the mainstream, but not bad beyond belief category. Maybe Cold Play would have been a better example since Paramore is kinda generic whine rock?

OSCA is separated by the fact that it was written by an actual band and not a group of producers for pop idols like the ones you're naming. I give Uki credit when it's due. Kimaru and Season Sayonara are my favorite songs on Sports. Fact remains that OSCA is a very mainstream pop-rock song. Find a station that plays Glay, bump of chicken, UVERworld, L'Arc and the like and you should find Tokyo Jihen. It's not like they're some random indie band who gets no airplay. Where in Japan are you? When I lived in Osaka, I heard Tsumi to Batsu, Ringo no Uta, and Gunjou Biyori on the radio.

And I didn't say selling well (top whatever) means you sound like everyone else. Just expect more bland songwriting meant to appeal to mainstream audiences. It's not all bad, but not much is amazing either.

Last edited by Maou : 2011.04.16 at 09:26 AM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.16, 08:36 AM   #875
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think the J-Pop one is Kameda. Ukigumo's most J-song is Sayonara Season. Other than that, he's probably the least 'J-Pop'/J-Rock sounding member of the band away from Tokyo Jihen, and that includes HZM and Hirama.

I don't think that either Variety or Sports -- whether they are bad or not -- sound like run-of-the-mill J-Pop/J-Rock, but they have that overall flavour to them. Which is odd. I just feel...empty when I listen to both. I lack music vocabulary to explain what I mean. Zettai Zetsumei and Kimaru excepted.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.16, 08:59 AM   #876
Maou

Pop does not mean generic or run-of-the mill. All of the mainstream jpop-rock bands I named have their own unique sound, but they are all pop. Sounding like other bands is not Tokyo Jihen's problem since they don't. Writing boring melodies with poor hooks is their problem.
Old 2011.04.16, 05:44 PM   #877
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Seems there's about 5 people on here that hate it and keep telling us that they hate it, 5 people who defend it like it's their baby and the rest don't care enough or are too afraid to say their opinion cause the senior members will shut them down straight away.

But anyway, does everyone hate Fukushuu too?
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.16, 06:10 PM   #878
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

I feel pretty weird in the scheme of all this, since I've followed Shiina Ringo since KSK, and I didn't really have any problems with Variety. Not sure what I initially thought of Kyoiku, though I do remember being disappointed with "Gunjyo Biyori", but I do remember thinking Variety came together better as a whole, even though Adult had stronger individual tracks.

It didn't seem like Tokyo Jihen had a solid sound after three albums, so the harmless pop sounds of Variety didn't really throw me off after the smooth sounds of Adult. I was really surprised when I finally started reading and posting at EMF in 2009 and found that most people didn't like or straight up hated it.

"Fukushuu" is still the only song I don't like, but I sometimes just listen to it in the context of the album.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.16, 06:44 PM   #879
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Fukushuu, best song on the album. But this forum is the same people that hate on Gips...
Old 2011.04.16, 07:52 PM   #880
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

After following the advice of frecklegirl, I have listened to Adult and Kyoiku before listening to Variety. In my opinion, there is a lack of "oompf" beat in Variety, I don't have the urge to get up and dance (gomatsurisawagi, service and bokoku jyoshou in Kyoiku/ Himitsu and Shuraba in Adult .

Also, Variety and Sports are strangely lacking claps. I miss the clapping rhythm in blackout and service.

Side note: I agree with Jihad. Fukushuu was the first song I spammed in my music player when I first discovered Variety.

"Are you afraid to close your eyes
Afraid there’s nothing left to die
On hills of ice there burns a fire
I’m coming for you from behind
"

This section sounds like something that would appear as a james bond theme song. =D
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote