Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.03.17, 03:12 AM   #271
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well the packaging is certainly something.

At least the blu ray has that going for it.

Pic taken from a link I was sent on last.fm
Attached Images
File Type: png ring.png (619.1 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.17 at 04:45 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.17, 05:00 AM   #272
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by anonlurker View Post
It is inferior though. There's nothing wrong with a bit of a show when you're a pop/rock star and you have the tunes to back it up. The problem arises when you still put these shows on but completely neglect the music in the process.
It's my belief that her recent songs were written and recorded long before this concert was conceived.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.17, 07:25 AM   #273
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

the new concert has a good set list. At least half of the Toutoukai songs were great. I actually wish there was a bit of Ringo stanning and less toxicity (between all the Ringo boards) because damn.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.17, 07:38 AM   #274
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Pic taken from a link I was sent on last.fm
And this is a woman who's allegedly embarrassed by her early days/Honnou?

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
It's my belief that her recent songs were written and recorded long before this concert was conceived.
True, but I'm in a agreement both you and anonlurker. The accordion concert was a bore, but her pop-rock concerts have gone into disappointing territory. Even back in the dying days of Tokyo Jihen, the theatrics started to pick up. I feel like this concert places precedence of theatrics over musical performance. Truly aiming at being a show rather than a concert. Souretsu was a letdown, Sounan is straight accordion concert garbage, the guitar work Arikitari na Onna was butchered, the guitar solo in JL005 was butchered and HZM was such a non-factor. The first Ringo Expo was so much better musically.
Old 2015.03.17, 08:37 AM   #275
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I will need to watch the DVD in full when it gets here, but I can't really see why theatrics means the songs mysteriously become weaker. It's not like she literally gives a directive to "play like shit" when she decides to have bells and whistles.

Her performance from the clips at least sound great (and definitely looked great) so. Oh well.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.17, 08:49 AM   #276
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
And this is a woman who's allegedly embarrassed by her early days/Honnou?
Are you saying she should feel embarrassed by that photo? Don't see why.

Anyway - seems like we're all pretty divided on Ringo these days. I thought the accordion concert was fantastic from a musical perspective and really enjoyed watching/listening to it. The clips I watched from Youtube from Expo '14 were all enjoyable too - so I can't really complain.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.17, 09:21 AM   #277
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I will need to watch the DVD in full when it gets here, but I can't really see why theatrics means the songs mysteriously become weaker. It's not like she literally gives a directive to "play like shit" when she decides to have bells and whistles.

Her performance from the clips at least sound great (and definitely looked great) so. Oh well.
In Bon Voyage, which songs actually suffered from having bells and whistles? Ikiru? Nope. New Civilization? Nope. Tengoku e Youkoso? Nope. Omatsuri Sawagi? Nope. Was OSCA/FOUL any worse for having dancers? Nope.

You may hate the songs themselves, fair enough. But I wonder if people are just upset because the particular aesthetic she goes for just doesn't appeal to them. If you like SR's music, I don't see how Ringo Expo '08's vegasness could be distracting. The only show that arguably suffered from being over the top with bells and whistles was Just Can't Help It, and that was mostly an editing thing.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2015.03.17 at 09:24 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.17, 10:18 AM   #278
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I will need to watch the DVD in full when it gets here, but I can't really see why theatrics means the songs mysteriously become weaker.
I didn't necessarily say that (nor did anonlurker), buuuut... It sure feels like she spent more time planning and rehearsing the theatrics than writing/arranging/rehearsing the soundtrack. The musical aspect is more than likely weaker because the band itself is weaker than others she's performed with. Her singing sounds fine, but everything else leaves something to be desired. The Sunny songs are generally worse than the studio recordings and there's completely uninspired arrangements. You know what song she hasn't performed in a long time? Phase 1 Sounan. This show has the guy who supposedly gave Ringo the idea for the guitar intro and the guy she recorded the song with. Better play the same crummy accordion version she just did rather than spend time relearning a different arrangement. It's better that Uki and HZM take the time to learn how to fire confetti blasters rather than how to perform a better song.

None of the stage theatrics really matter to me. I'll watch a concert once and then just listen to the audio. Generally, she delivers live performances that surpass the original studio recordings. She simply doesn't here.

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
Are you saying she should feel embarrassed by that photo? Don't see why.
I'm saying portraying a bisexual nurse or a bride pointing a gun at her head is no more embarrassing than cosplaying as Marilyn Monroe while lifting your skirt or portraying a pink haired burlesque girl.

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
In Bon Voyage, which songs actually suffered from having bells and whistles?.
Season Sayonara. Depending on how far you want to go with "bells and whistles".
Old 2015.03.17, 12:14 PM   #279
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

http://www.kronekodow.com/gaiko/150325dvd.html

They're releasing an "Academic" version of the concert on DVD that has a single fixed camera view of the entire stage.

The concert filmed for this DVD is the final 12/21 performance in Fukuoka, not the 11/12 Osaka concert on the main release. Listed as 113 minutes.

Preorders start on the 25th, and it might only be sold on Ringo's site.

They mention that it was filmed using a consumer grade camera, so expect varying degrees of audio and video quality throughout the performance.

1,000円 for the general public, and 900円 for Ringohan members with a limited sticker included.

『RINGO EXPO Professional Academic 2014』
2015年3月25日正午より予約受付開始
KRO-10101
1,000円(税抜)

[林檎班個人版] 
900円(税抜) 特製ステッカー付き ※林檎班会員限定

[収録曲]
今/葬列/赤道を越えたら/都合のいい身体/やっつけ仕事/走れゎナンバー/渦中の男/遭難/JL005便で
/私の愛するひと/禁じられた遊び/暗夜の心中立て/BETWEEN TODAY AND TOMORROW/決定的三分間
/能動的三分間/ちちんぷいぷい/密偵物語/殺し屋危機一髪/望遠鏡の外の景色/最果てが見たい
/NIPPON/自由へ道連れ/流行/主演の女/静かなる逆襲/マヤカシ優男/ありきたりな女

2014年12月21日マリンメッセ福岡公演/113分
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.17, 01:40 PM   #280
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

What a crock