Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.09.16, 08:30 AM   #31
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
Does everybody here have some kickass set up for vinyls? Why all the fuss? I know that they're attractive...but without decent gear it's all just decoration.

I love the extras, but I'm not sure about shelling out more money for old material, don't know if i want to encourage this type of behaviour.
Those thoughts are on my mind as well x)
I have a vinyl player, but it is very old and the sound is not what it once was, so no, I don't buy vinyls.
Old 2008.09.16, 08:52 AM   #32
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Nah I just wanna collect a set for decorative reasons and the coolness of it!
Old 2008.09.16, 10:32 AM   #33
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Does everybody here have some kickass set up for vinyls? Why all the fuss? I know that they're attractive...but without decent gear it's all just decoration.

I love the extras, but I'm not sure about shelling out more money for old material, don't know if i want to encourage this type of behaviour.
I'm well aware of the differences between cheaper turntables (anything under $1000 USD), and the more expensive ones ($10,000), which is why I'm too intimidated to buy my own turntable anytime soon. My workplace has a professional turntable with hefty center and outer clamps, a $1200 needle, a very steady arm and motor, and so I take advantage of that setup.

I already love the clean sonics of the original Muzai Moratorium CD, so the main feature of the vinyl that I'm looking forward to, is the thickness of the sound. I'd love to hear a thicker recording of Marunouchi Sadistic, and whether that's your favorite music or not, I think that particular track will gain the most from being in vinyl, not that it was ever mangled on CD.

I don't think Shouso Strip is going to gain much by being on vinyl. Similar to KSK, it's a very heavily processed sound, which ends up coming across somewhat like MP3 (when you are listening to lossless or the actual CD) on high-end gear. There is a certain dryness and grittiness to Shouso Strip that's half as disappointing as the production values for Kyoiku, and vinyl isn't going to fix that.
Old 2008.09.16, 11:12 AM   #34
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

While I do have my turntable from my Beatle-days. Vinyls mean bigger cover art
Old 2008.09.16, 11:22 AM   #35
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Even if you can't play them, it's still the height of l33t to own a complete set of Ringo Vinyl!! in the future you may have the opportunity to get a top notch player and you'll regret it looking back if you did not get them!
Old 2008.09.16, 12:55 PM   #36
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

thats nice since i dont own any of her albums

I'm thinking about getting MoRA CD box..

the dvd box looks a bit useless
if it was at least 5.1 sound..

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2008.09.16, 01:10 PM   #37
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
the dvd box looks a bit useless
if it was at least 5.1 sound..
First thought that came into my head. A lot of people think 5.1 albums can be a total gimmick, and for the most part they can. But some albums are just perfectly suited to 5.1, and it actually enhances the listening experience and isn't just cool for a second or off-putting. Bjork's albums work superbly, and KSK I think is my number 1 5.1 want. Alongside Kid A by Radiohead.
Old 2008.09.16, 01:19 PM   #38
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

besides that, having the power of separating each song channel and listening to a capella or instrumental songs is awesome!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2008.09.16, 01:38 PM   #39
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I got a turntable two years ago and it was a super value for money purchase. I got it 3rd hand maybe off some buy/sell forum.

I've got a Linn CD player and their speakers as well, and it sounds amazing with the right recordings. Like my In Rainbows vinyl. I can't listen to the CD straight out and I always want to skip tracks, because... (pardon my snobbery here) it sounds harsh. And no, it's not a placebo effect.

The first time you hear something on vinyl you're probably not going to be very impressed, especially if you're used to the way CDs sound. Vinyls are more gentle while the CD sound is somewhat more punchy (at least from what I've heard). The magic of vinyls doesn't come immediately. You will only appreciate it if you listen to music for more than 1 hour straight. (Same thing for the lossless vs lossy arguments actually.)

Glath, I think you could be wrong about vinyl and processed sounds. In Rainbows has its fair share of processed sounds and because vinyls naturally give off a more gentle sound, it actually sounds very clear, crisp and not at all dry and gritty (unlike the CD). Anyway, this is all hypothetical and we'll only know the true quality of these releases after we throw some money at SR.

I'm quite optimistic about how the vinyls will sound though, seeing that SR has an increasingly, urm, masterful recording/mastering crew now.

P.S I wouldn't go as far as to say that vinyls are naturally superior to CDs or lossless digital formats... It really depends on the music and the recording/mastering process. I once bought a St Vincent LP and it sounded dry and flat like 128 mp3s on my set-up, and I was greatly disappointed.

Anyway. I'm optimistic for this release.
Old 2008.09.16, 05:23 PM   #40
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Vinyls... I still don't know what to do about them.
I like to collect SR products, so my collector side wants me to get them. But so far, it's one of the few things I've skipped on ever since I started getting releases as soon as they come out (since Gunjo). I kind of regret it because they tend to get sold out quickly and then become expensive...
But I don't even own a turntable. It's not even something I plan to buy in the next few years. So I don't know what to do, but I guess it will end up like the other times - since the vinyl releases coincides with other releases, I will skip them just because I already feel like I'm spending a lot in one time, especially with this release!

Edit (instead of double posting)
The CD Box and DVD Box are already up for preorder on CDJapan!
Normally I'd preorder them from there, but since shipping will be an arm and a leg because it's equivalent to shipping what, 4+5 normal CDs?, I might wait to see how much YesAsia will jack up the price to compensate for their free shipping... since the whole batch is First Press, I doubt they could screw it up.

Last edited by zarya : 2008.09.16 at 05:46 PM.
Closed Thread