Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.04.15, 08:28 PM   #71
Canto

Canto has had more than 15 seconds of fame

C'mon I'm not bragging about this...just we have different feelings towards these English words. I simply regard drowning in somebody (rather than in some belief) something kinda unhealthy and futile. But I just can't help myself being lured by this lady & her buddies from the moment I open my eyes every morning.
What an embarrassing situation.

To me gunjou biyori is just another punky song that every band is able to make.
Not something exclusively from TJ.
Canto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 05:44 AM   #72
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Canto View Post
C'mon I'm not bragging about this...just we have different feelings towards these English words. I simply regard drowning in somebody (rather than in some belief) something kinda unhealthy and futile. But I just can't help myself being lured by this lady & her buddies from the moment I open my eyes every morning.
What an embarrassing situation.

I know what you mean, ever since I heard Ringo and the band I've just been in love with their music.

As for Gunjou Biyori, I kind of understand how you do not think it is great, but I doubt just any band can pull it off.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 01:20 PM   #73
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Adult album reviews

Some reviews of Adult. Thanks Canto!

對北澤而言,要選出06年的最佳專輯基本上沒有任何遲疑。如果未來幾十年流行曲的發展仍然是圍繞吉他、貝斯、鼓、鍵盤等樂器,我想教授流行曲創作的人都應該備有這一張專輯作教材。這絕不是一張類型專輯,相反是從不同角度去將每一件樂器的特性顯現出來。如果有意拿樂譜來玩的朋友,你可能會發現專輯中的每一首歌表面上均好像不複雜,但樂器之間的配合,音樂本身的嚴謹,在在顯示出椎名林檎的能力和深度已讓她漸漸步入大師的行列

from here
This reviewer voted Adult as the best Jpop album of 2006.

Translation:
To me [the reviewer], this is without a doubt the best album in 2006. If the development of pop music in the following decades follows the course of guitar, bass, drums and keyboards, I think this album should be used as an education material. This is defnitely not a genre album; on the contrary, this album exemplifies the innovative use of the different instruments from different perspectives. If you try to play the songs with your friends, you will find that beyond the simplicity of the sound lies a complex and rigourous coordination between the different musical parts and it rightly shows off Shiina Ringo's deftness and depth in songwriting that bring her closer to a level of mastery.

And another one:

大人這專輯實在有太多的東西可以談論。太多人因為主觀和客觀的因素喜歡1期成員的作品「秘密」「SUPER STAR」和「透明人間」,也有很多樂迷佩服於新KEYBROAD手伊澤一葉的技術,這種對立性使專輯更加有趣。自己始終最愛「修羅場」,對「透明人間」林檎的過於「KAWAII」的唱法實在不敢苟同。然而「SUPER STAR」又是一首不可多得的作品,所以自己欣賞時根本並沒有1期2期成員之分。不過這種專輯強烈的對立性,連專輯的曲名、曲順也有出現(自己拿來看看吧),所以我想,這專輯在東京事變或是椎名林檎的作品中地位應是非常獨特吧。

from here
This reviewer voted Adult as the 2nd Jpop album of 2006.

Translation:
There are simply too many talking points in Adult. Too many people like Himitsu, SUPER STAR and Toumei Ningen from Phase 1 for various reasons, and a lot of fans hold the new keyboardist Izawa Ichiyou's technique in high regard; the contrast in styles makes this album even more interesting. Personally I like Shuraba, but don't agree with the "kawaii" treatment of Toumei Ningen in the album. [SUPER STAR is the rare song which Phase 1 & 2 comparisons don't affect my appreciation of the song.]* There is a strong sense of 對立性 [is he trying to say symmetry here?]*, even in the song titles and sequence (take a look if you don't believe me)... which is why I think that this album has a special place in any of Tokyo Jihen's or Shiina Ringo's work.

*don't really know if I got the meaning right.

Canto I hope you can help me out.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.04.17 at 05:18 PM.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 02:24 PM   #74
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
but don't agree with the "kawaii" treatment of Toumei Ningen in the album. [SUPER STAR is the rare song which Phase 1 & 2 comparisons don't affect my appreciation of the song.]
z0mg, you found out my secret identity as a chinese music reviewer!

Originally Posted by Canto View Post
I thought Gunjo was by far and away the poppiest of all of Shiina's songs. Certainly a far cry from punky. I dont remember if it was RJ or if the yahoo group was still active when gunjo came to be, but someone their intro'd it as a song that sounds like it belongs during the credits of some anime. (However, i feel the mix that essentially throws HZM into the far background remedies this.)

EDIT:
If you try to play the songs with your friends, you will find that...
...if you get stuck playing the guitar bits, you are probably the "last resort" of the group =Q

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.04.16 at 02:49 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 02:44 PM   #75
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Some reviews of Adult. Thanks Canto!

This reviewer voted Adult as the best Jpop album of 2006.

Translation:
To me [the reviewer], this is without a doubt the best album in 2006. If the development of pop music in the following decades follows the course of guitar, bass, drums and keyboards, I think this album should be used as an education material. This is defnitely not a genre album; on the contrary, this album exemplifies the innovative use of the different instruments from different perspectives. If you try to play the songs with your friends, you will find that beyond the simplicity of the sound lies a complex and rigourous coordination between the different musical parts and it rightly shows off Shiina Ringo's deftness and depth in songwriting that bring her closer to a level of mastery.
I wish I could play instruments so I could try that out
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 08:35 PM   #76
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

對立性 = contrariety?
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.16, 08:58 PM   #77
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by ChickShhh View Post
對立性 = contrariety?
That's what I thought it meant too, but how come there's contrast in the song titles and sequence?
Old 2007.04.17, 04:03 PM   #78
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Honestly Adult feels more like a Shiina album than a TJ album; compare Adult with Kyoiku and the difference is the lack of Hirama and HZM dominance in the overall sound. It would seem like SR simply kicked them out of the band and replaced them withone someone she can keep a tight leash on; I dont see Hirama giving up his big rock sound just to follow SR's musical direction (from adult to Heisei Fuuzoku), especially when they are playing live.

Now I'm not defending Ukigumo, but on the assumption that he did play Tegami (unless someone from TJ come out and said otherwise), I'd say he's got diversity in his reportoire than most of us give him credit for, but while SR got him on a leash, he's stuck playing jazz fill-ins instead of playing like the power-chord and vibrato galore that is Hirama...

Last edited by Kasanagi : 2007.04.17 at 04:15 PM.
Kasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.04.17, 04:43 PM   #79
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
Honestly Adult feels more like a Shiina album than a TJ album; compare Adult with Kyoiku and the difference is the lack of Hirama and HZM dominance in the overall sound. It would seem like SR simply kicked them out of the band and replaced them withone someone she can keep a tight leash on; I dont see Hirama giving up his big rock sound just to follow SR's musical direction (from adult to Heisei Fuuzoku), especially when they are playing live.

Now I'm not defending Ukigumo, but on the assumption that he did play Tegami (unless someone from TJ come out and said otherwise), I'd say he's got diversity in his reportoire than most of us give him credit for, but while SR got him on a leash, he's stuck playing jazz fill-ins instead of playing like the power-chord and vibrato galore that is Hirama...
If Shiina actually kicked Hirama out because he would call her out, potentially, then I would start spending all my time in the OT because if some of you think I have little nice to say about Shiina currently...
I know everybody thinks Uki can play "normal" and as I sid before whoever's choice it is for him to be playing that way needs to get fired.
Old 2007.04.17, 05:40 PM   #80
justriiingo

Adult is a huge move in a different direction for SR.
1. HZM's prolific craziness is gone.
2. Ukigumo can't play rock like Hirama.
3. SR was rushing a out a new album when TJ changed members.

So Adult is really just a clever solution to her circumstances. There's no way she can do whatever she did in Kyoiku anymore no matter how much she wanted to. So Adult; slow, chill-out, mature, "refined", Adult. SR is still a genius at problem solving; it's really her band members that's restricting her creativity.

Uki can play normal... when forced by SR to do so. I'd like to think that Toumei Ningen is Uki at the height of his creativity (this sentence alone will mean different things to different people). I prefer Hirama's style, but Uki as a guitarist is more, urm, original.

Now we can only wait for 2008 to really see where SR is going with TJ.

In the meantime, let's enjoy some "motion graphics" from the HF dvd release.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2007.04.17 at 05:48 PM.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote