Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.01.27, 04:32 PM   #4051
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

No! No song distribution!

Portishead - The Rip
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.27, 04:39 PM   #4052
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
Portishead - The Rip
I absolutely love that song. It's so hauntingly beautiful.

Regina Spektor - Apres Moi
Old 2009.01.27, 04:46 PM   #4053
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Day & Age has happened to be their worst album, IMO... I love its three first tracks especially, tho.
Que paso?? Eso no tiene sentido, amigo. Que no te gusta?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.27, 06:07 PM   #4054
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
I only heard brainwashed, though, and was creeped out by the cover, too. Is it really different from the other albums?
If I had never heard it before, I could definitely pick it out as Harrison on the first listen, but it is different than the rest to some extent, mostly because it came after a long break. (That being said, Brainwashed is my 2nd favorite of his albums.) Definitely give his earlier releases a try (but stay away from the early 80s until you get your feet wet).

CLT: the sound of water boiling for tea
Old 2009.01.27, 06:30 PM   #4055
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I think Paul is the best post-Beatle of them all. McCartney II and some of his other 80's stuff can scare people off, but it all has its place. Ringo has some nice songs if you don't mind simplicity (and his voice), John has a lot of good stuff but is supremely overrated, and some of George's music is good, but lots isn't.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.27, 06:45 PM   #4056
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Que paso?? Eso no tiene sentido, amigo. Que no te gusta?
"They" said it was for the Hot Fuss fans. "They" were wrong and creating such expectations also creates auto-disappointment. Therefor, Day & Age is not a good album. Hot Fuss > Sam's Town > Day & Age
Old 2009.01.27, 06:55 PM   #4057
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I think Paul is the best post-Beatle of them all. McCartney II and some of his other 80's stuff can scare people off, but it all has its place. Ringo has some nice songs if you don't mind simplicity (and his voice), John has a lot of good stuff but is supremely overrated, and some of George's music is good, but lots isn't.
Overrated? I think John is rated just fine. I don't really talk to many people about him, but I haven't met any Beatles fans pushing for his solo work either. Are you talking about his music or his persona? I think both deserve the hype, though.

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
"They" said it was for the Hot Fuss fans. "They" were wrong and creating such expectations also creates auto-disappointment. Therefor, Day & Age is not a good album. Hot Fuss > Sam's Town > Day & Age
I liked Sam's Town much more than Hot Fuss so I didn't mind. I didn't read anything about it being by hot fuzzy fans. The only thing I read had Flowers saying that Day and Age was like looking at Sam's Town from mars.
Old 2009.01.27, 07:11 PM   #4058
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Overrated? I think John is rated just fine. I don't really talk to many people about him, but I haven't met any Beatles fans pushing for his solo work either. Are you talking about his music or his persona? I think both deserve the hype, though.
He was certainly an interesting person, but his music is overrated in my opinion. He had some good hits out there, but there's also a good amount of throw-aways considering the length of his career after the break-up. I've found that those who claim to like his music know very little about what he actually recorded. They know Imagine, Instant Karma, War is Over, Jealous Guy, etc., but I never hear or read about the songs that aren't considered his best. There's certainly some truth in saying that dead celebrities receive extra attention. People began listening to him even more when he died, yet it was often the typical casual fans who didn't care enough to listen to anything other than a Best Hits album.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.27, 07:14 PM   #4059
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Hot Fuss is awesome, and it is definitely The Killers' best album. I think Day & Age is the worst, but saying that doesn't necessarily make it a bad album for me.

And yeah, The Rip by Portishead is so spectacular, I don't think I can ever get tired of listening to it.
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.27, 08:29 PM   #4060
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
He was certainly an interesting person, but his music is overrated in my opinion. He had some good hits out there, but there's also a good amount of throw-aways considering the length of his career after the break-up. I've found that those who claim to like his music know very little about what he actually recorded. They know Imagine, Instant Karma, War is Over, Jealous Guy, etc., but I never hear or read about the songs that aren't considered his best. There's certainly some truth in saying that dead celebrities receive extra attention. People began listening to him even more when he died, yet it was often the typical casual fans who didn't care enough to listen to anything other than a Best Hits album.
Well, I started with the Working Class Hero compilation just to get familiar and then worked my way through all his stuff. I'm still not familiar with all of it, but I do agree that some things do feel like throw-aways. I have read a lot about him, though, and a lot in his own words as much as others talking about him, and it made me appreciate his music more because I see where it all came from. I don't think most of it is anywhere near Beatles work, but I don't think it's fair to call them throw-aways. Regardless, I really enjoy his music more than anything because of his energy and I really like his lyrics too. I just really like the guy so even songs that are just OK are pleasant because of the way he sings them or whatever else about him. A lot of the times, though, I like the song structure but not so much the accompaniment. I don't really like that saxophone a lot. In songs like woman is the nigger of the world and some others. That's the one that's been sticking in my mind because it's catchy, but I just don't like the sound. I guess it was hip back then. Whistling it works, though.

My favorite song of his is probably that come together cover haha. It's so badass, I wish they had toured with that. But of his solo compositions, my favs are, working class hero, well well well, cold turkey (dont like all the screaming at the end, though), and Oh my love (gorgeous). Not in any particular order. Oh, I really like beautiful boy, too, it makes me want to have kids now. He's at his best when he is rocking, though.