Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.04.18, 05:51 PM   #911
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

We're talking about that accordian tune?
Alright.

I think that tune, is rather pretty. But she's trying wayyy too hard. To be somebody that she's not. It's really uncomfortable to listen to it because she's trying so hard and not really hitting the spot. I think this pretty much applies to any tune which she tries to be a sultry 1920s singer. I don't think long vibratos high notes work for her type of voice. It's just jarring to me.

You know what did work really well for her? That marusadi performance on Bokura no Ongaku (sth like that, correct me if I'm wrong). Marusadi was given a nice loungey arrangement, and SR's stylist made her look really posh and elegant, but still kept her edge.

Seriously, she needs to get that stylist back. Her new stylists aren't doing good things for her. (Or the band).
Old 2011.04.18, 07:18 PM   #912
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Lol, she should get Ayumi's stylist, that would be funny
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.20, 11:12 AM   #913
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Have to (reluctantly) agree with that one.
If that's the attitude you take when in agreement, I think I prefer it when you just ignore me.

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I don't really get what you mean about Bonsai Hada's accordion being simple. After all, coba is a master of his instrument.
I don't understand your reasoning. If somebody is a master of something, they can't play something that's simple?
Old 2011.04.20, 11:19 AM   #914
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

no, because coba is known for being able to play really complex accordion songs. There are some very rapid key changes and tricks he does with the instrument. Remember, the accordion is an extremely difficult instrument to play, so something that SOUNDS simple is NOT simple to actually play.

Anyways, as a master, why would coba play a simple arrangement? It would make little sense other than to just sell himself short.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.20, 11:40 AM   #915
Maou

Why did Steve Vai play simple songs for David Lee Roth? Why did HZM play simple songs for Shiina Ringo? Being able to play things other people can't even dream of playing doesn't mean you always do. There is beauty in simplicity. You aren't selling yourself short when you play something for someone who can write music, but can't play it themselves.
Old 2011.04.20, 02:07 PM   #916
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Oh, OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying coba playing a simpler song was a bad thing.

Although, I still maintain that coba's playing in Bonsai Hada was not simple.

(BTW, HZM's playing in PE'Z is not terribly complex either)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.21, 12:51 AM   #917
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
If that's the attitude you take when in agreement, I think I prefer it when you just ignore me.
If that's the attitude you take with my attitude, I think I prefer it when I disagree.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.21, 09:40 AM   #918
Maou

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Oh, OK, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying coba playing a simpler song was a bad thing.
Not at all. I generally prefer simpler songs played with unique energy and good phrasing. It's why I don't like most guitar virtuoso types. Their playing is complex and impressive, but it's played in such a robotic that there's nothing to feel. Coba is definitely expressive, but I just don't like Ringo with a solo accompaniment. She's so good at layering instruments that it makes those single instrument kind of songs empty and bland.

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
If that's the attitude you take with my attitude, I think I prefer it when I disagree.
Taking the high road here.
Old 2011.04.23, 08:14 AM   #919
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I can't imagine BH with a band arrangement. The album arrangement is definitely atmospheric. It doesn't show off the skills of Coba persay, its a bit simple in arrangement, but it makes it effective IMO.

the melody is quite strong but Ringo has buried strong songs in overproduction for years so I'm not entirely sure a band version would work.

Yokyou was kinda ruined by the album version for me.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.23, 08:27 AM   #920
Maou

Yeah, Yokyou album version didn't live up to the live. You can clearly tell it's a Yukio Nagoshi song when you compare it to his other SR-related performances/arrangements. Specifically, it has a lot of the same sonic qualities as the SS version of Tsuki ni Makeinu and that one performance of Kabukicho they did on NHK Songs (I think).