Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.02.29, 08:02 PM   #111
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ada1126 View Post
love sa_i_ta so much! it's so sexy!!
was ten times sexier live

On stage the above songs were nice due to the fact that Ringo was playing keys on the Izawa song, drums on the Hata song and so on. (uh maybe that's it)
WHILE WEARING AFRO
I wonder if only I had a Tomosaka Rie rendevous uh I mean deja vu.

Last edited by Jonny : 2012.02.29 at 08:10 PM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.04, 05:15 PM   #112
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Uchida, to Ukigumo
You've said in the past you take pride in not writing nice songs
well that explains everything for the haters

Originally Posted by Kameda, about the album
Putting it in terms of my beloved figure skating, it’s an exhibition.
I can only hope I age that well.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.04, 07:52 PM   #113
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Still haven't listened to this album. I'm actually kind of scared of it.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.04, 08:03 PM   #114
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I think one of the things I'm going to miss most about Tokyo Jihen is discussing the albums on the forums. You'll find no two members that think the same way and it's really interesting to get different perspectives on the well-received albums and the lackluster ones. Anyway, without further ado, I guess this will be my last Tokyo Jihen album review.

1. Konya wa Karasawagi -
The best track on the album and, what a surprise, it's Ringo's. It's just solid. It's got a good melody, nice instrumentation, and it grooves well. It's the kind of track I find myself listening to repeatedly, which is a good sign. I feel like this encapsulates the best of the Phase 2 sound.
2. Kai-horrordust - Horror is a very appropriate word for this actually. This is Izawa's BB Queen. Good god, this is bad. I mean, frecklegirl really said it all. If you want my exact thoughts on this song, just read her post.
3. Time Capsule - Thanks to this song, we don't need to listen to Kameda's other tunes. He was considerate enough to place his entire TJ career output into one 4 minute time capsule. How thoughtful of him. Thank you, Kameda.
4. sa_i_ta - Ukigumo scores another hit here. It's a hot dance tune. Very groovy, very infectious. They definitely needed more tracks like this. Love those background vocals, that guitar, and the synth. Cool track. Definitely my second fave.
5. Honto no Tokoro - Meh. Hata's vocals are definitely... interesting. This didn't leave me sold on Hata one way or the other. I kind of lean towards this being a throwaway track, to be honest. The melody ranges from awful, to grating, to somewhat tolerable. It wants so badly to be a Kimaru and it just falls short in every regard. Nice try though. It would have been interesting to see what else Hata would have come up with if he wrote more songs in the band.

Overall it left me feeling kinda meh. Maybe it's not such a bad thing that these guys are breaking up after all.
Old 2012.04.07, 09:05 PM   #115
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

yaaaay finally

http://nostalgic-lavender.net/ringo/colorbars.html
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.07, 11:20 PM   #116
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

thanks frecklegirl!

I always thought she was saying "bye bye" in english in konya wa karasawagi and not a word in japanese. it's another example of Ringo's love for using japanese words that sounds like english
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.09, 08:02 AM   #117
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Maybe; I'm not so sure it was on purpose or she would have spelled it out like she did with HOUR/awa.
Old 2013.05.27, 09:33 PM   #118
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I really appreciate your translations frecklegirl, and that footnote for Konya wa Karasawagi is a little classic in its own right. I'm not being a smart-ass, I really mean that. Of course, I guess you were driven to that by the lyrics, which seem pretty classic as well. There's something familiar but it all seems more chiseled (like a poet from the heyday of Modernism, Mina Loy, say), dense with allusion, but also with the usual emotionally charged interpersonal themes.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.05.28, 03:30 AM   #119
frecklegirl
apple-princess

I'm not sure what you mean but I'll take it as a compliment! I agree, I really like these lyrics.
Old 2013.05.28, 06:52 AM   #120
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

I didn't mean to be cryptic. I would rather be eating chocolate.

(Pseudo-Ringo.)

There's just a part of me that enjoys elaborate footnotes in contexts like these. It's almost comical to me, but I'm sure I can explain why. Again, when I say it's comical, that's not a putdown at all. It's like that one Ezra Pound translation of a Japanese or Chinese poem that's about two lines (maybe a couple more), followed by a lengthy paragraph-long explanation of the cultural context, why it matters, etc. I think I might be thinking of one with the line "listening to incense" in it, but maybe it's a different one. I like that sort of mixture of didacticism and obvious enthusiasm. I think there's something sort of exhilarating to me about being reminded of this enormous network of meanings and assocations I know so little about.

Anyway, without being cryptic, I've appreciated your translations over the years. I even respect your wishes not to have them reposted, despite temptation.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote