Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.04.12, 02:46 PM   #71
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
aside from videogame composers (who some would argue aren't 'real' artists).
Statements like these make me cry a little inside. I do not want this thread off topic, but just know there are jigen tears on the keyboad...

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.14, 04:57 AM   #72
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
Statements like these make me cry a little inside. I do not want this thread off topic, but just know there are jigen tears on the keyboad...
omg
this was so cute
XD

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.15, 01:01 AM   #73
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I am an avid fighting game fan, especially 2D ones. I've been into Guilty Gear for years and when I got Guilty Gear XX, I-no became my favorite character almost instantly. So, out of curiousity, I look up info about I-no and find out she's based on some chick named Shiina Ringo. For some reason, I just overlook that. I do, however, get into Brian Eno, who is a possible influence for I-no's name. So my chance at getting into Shiina Ringo was missed right there.

Fast forward to one day nearly a year later when I am feeling completely sick and can't go to work or school. I'm not tired enough to sleep so I go on my computer browsing I-no fan art. I look up her Wikipedia article again and find out that not only is she based on Shiina Ringo in appearance, but she shares her birthday and guitar. So I think "Wow, this Shiina Ringo chick must be pretty rocking too to inspire a character like that." So I began my path to discovering Shiina Ringo...

When I look up new artists, I usually search YouTube to see if I can find anything since I don't have last.fm or anything else to download music. So the first thing that comes up is her infamous Honnou video. I like it. I don't love it, but I like it. Now I'm a very picky person when it comes to vocals. I won't even listen to the band Rush because I can't stand Geddy Lee's voice. So her vocals don't strike me as particularly "pleasant" but for some reason, I'm drawn in because they have a certain edge to them. She seems genuine. Plus I really like the video. So I'm still curious and the search continues.

I find the Kabukichou no Joou PV and listen. Damn, I kinda like this song. I listen again. And again. By the time I discover that I really love this song, I've already listened to it nine times. And I can't stop listening to it. It's like the song grabbed a hold of me and commanded me to hear it over and over and over again. Wow, this is some good shit. I wonder what else she's done?

Then I heard Tsumi to Batsu and was done for. I didn't stand a chance. It just floored me. And the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 2008.04.15, 02:27 AM   #74
zach

zach has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I discovered SR at a time in my life when I was sick of western music, having played it for most of my life. I had begun to discover Japanese music and enjoyed its unique characteristics, most importantly the melding of nondiatonic harmonies and other classical influences with rock, the Japanese enjoyment of "crispy" sounds rather than "round" sounds, and increasingly creative production values.

So I regularly scoured rotations and forums where J-/K-music was shared, and ended up downloading La Salle de Bain from a rotation because the description struck me as interesting. I listened to it and thought it was one of the most interesting songs I had heard in a long time. She was doing crazy creative things with her voice, the harmonies were complex and thoroughly interesting, the lyrics were twisted and dark and bizarre, the arrangement was fantastic... and on the bottom line, everything added up to a tremendous piece of music. When I found out that (unlike so many artists) she had written that song herself my respect for her shot through the roof, and I started trying to track down more of her music.

The next thing I found was KSK. I remember exactly what I was doing and where I was when I pushed play for the first time. But my initial reaction to KSK has already been well-documented. So I'll just say the rest was history.

ps freckle, misako -- I adore Maaya!

Don't know Japanese, but sing along anyway
my mp3 list
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.15, 07:35 AM   #75
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
do, however, get into Brian Eno, who is a possible influence for I-no's name.
Actually, she's named after Luna Sea's Inoran. It's just that nobody knows who the hell he is.
Old 2008.04.15, 09:31 PM   #76
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Actually, she's named after Luna Sea's Inoran. It's just that nobody knows who the hell he is.
Wow. Didn't know that actually. You learn something new every day...
Old 2008.04.28, 10:04 AM   #77
jparanoid

jparanoid pleased at least somebody

I discovered SR looking for new stuff to download at jpopsuki.... back in 2006 I think...a little late I agree...but better late than never!
Old 2008.04.28, 01:58 PM   #78
jigenbakuda

Originally Posted by ripesan View Post
I discovered SR looking for new stuff to download at jpopsuki.... back in 2006 I think...a little late I agree...but better late than never!
You discovered her before me... I discovered her in the spring of 07. So you are doing better than me. I just wonder what song did you first hear by her that made you say, "yea this is my style"?

Old 2008.04.28, 03:18 PM   #79
whitechapel

whitechapel pleased at least somebody

Hmmm, when my friends were vaguely into DDR circa 2000ish I d/led a DDR track called 'kofukuron'. It wasn't a very good DDR track but I liked the music

wc.
whitechapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.04.28, 03:26 PM   #80
jigenbakuda

Originally Posted by whitechapel View Post
Hmmm, when my friends were vaguely into DDR circa 2000ish I d/led a DDR track called 'kofukuron'. It wasn't a very good DDR track but I liked the music

wc.
lol