Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.12.08, 12:11 AM   #131
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Yeah, I've got a DS. I'll give the game a look and see if it interests me!
apparently it comes out in EU on the 11th? do you play Zelda? fortunately each and every game is set up as a standalone story and treats the gamer as a brand new player to the story, so its really great for anyone to start with. this entry in particular follows the trend started a few games back where they have been in direct sequels. So this is a very loose sequel to the DS game that came before, Phantom Hourglass, which was a loose sequel to the Dreamcast Zelda, Wind Waker, which was a loose sequel to Ocarina of Time. Confusing, eh? All you need to know is that the DS entries are easily the best games on the DS and this new entry apparently fixes all the bad aspects of the previous installment. The DS releases also usually focus on alternative side stories, with an main villian who is usually unique to that game and generally not Ganon/Ganondorf, who is the main antagonist in the series and is almost always the final boss in the main releases. In this game trains play a large part, you start off as a conductor, haha. link in his overalls is super cute.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.08, 12:55 AM   #132
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Last Zelda game I went through was the Wind Waker (Ocarina before that), I checked with GAME and it's out in a couple of days so I'll pick it up! looks fun judging by the trailer.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.08, 01:32 AM   #133
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Last Zelda game I went through was the Wind Waker (Ocarina before that), I checked with GAME and it's out in a couple of days so I'll pick it up! looks fun judging by the trailer.
awesome! After Ocarina of Time the next story chronologically is Twilight Princess, and then hundreds of years later Wind Waker. They are all related but completely separate, with Phantom Hourglass the only direct direct sequel. Spirit Tracks takes place on a new continent, which is an entirely separate world, which is a direct sequel but also largely a side story. Wind Waker SPOILERS so obviously after wind waker ends Link and Tetra (Zelda) go off to find a new world and Phantom Hourglass starts with them on the ocean and Tetra gets kidnapped by a ghost ship and you spend the entire game around that. It ends and then for Spirit Tracks it takes place 100 years after that, on the continent Link and Tetra found, which is named Hyrule, and the Link and Zelda in the game are not the same as the Link and Tetra in WW and PH
Old 2009.12.08, 02:32 AM   #134
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
awesome! After Ocarina of Time the next story chronologically is Twilight Princess, and then hundreds of years later Wind Waker.
Are they all really chronological? Because Majora's Mask is in the same vein as Ocarina of Time and it does have some references, but other than that and the DS ones... they're not linked. (haha, no pun intended.)
Like, Zelda 1, The side scrolling one, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, the dual game boy ones, 4 swords... they never really linked. They just have the same storyline. I mean, even Twilight Princess had an awakening stage where you had to figure out you're the chosen hyrulian with the triforce power. I always found Windwaker and the DS games to be connected though, solely on the fact that they use the same graphics and whatnot.
Also, playing windwaker my friend said that the battle frozen in time when you go back in time, is a replica of one of the stages from one of the first games.

But ooh, Bingo, if you have a Gamecube and you haven't checked it out yet, I went crazy with 4 swords. It's the same gameplay as the old ones/the game boy ones, but once you get into it you don't notice how simple it all is, because it's an awesome game in itself.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.12.08 at 02:37 AM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.08, 12:34 PM   #135
kuro_neko

supposedly according to the creators ocarina of time ends and the stories delineates (everything else not mentioned hereafter occurs before ocarina of time...), according to the developer there is "child time" and "adult time." At the end of OoT Link is sent back to his childhood, during which time he would know not to remove the Master Sword and Ganondorf would be arrested and banished to the Twilight Realm. This leads to the events of Twilight Princess. But then, the world Zelda lives in at the end of OoT and everyone else directly leads forward into WW, which occurs hundreds of years later. The wikipedia article explains it pretty clearly, but since then Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks have been the most recent in the series. Nothing is strictly chronological and none of the games minus WW and PH share the same Link/Zelda, but they do have a rough chronology to them.
Old 2009.12.08, 12:40 PM   #136
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

So is Shattered Memories supposed to be pitch black or do I have my settings wrong? I've never played the Wii on this TV and it's not calibrated for SD content yet. Am I supposed to be able to see anything outside of my flashlight's range?
Old 2009.12.08, 01:27 PM   #137
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
So is Shattered Memories supposed to be pitch black or do I have my settings wrong? I've never played the Wii on this TV and it's not calibrated for SD content yet. Am I supposed to be able to see anything outside of my flashlight's range?
the game should be very dark, dark enough so you can't play without the flashlight on. outside of the range of the flashlight you should be able to make out vague shapes but the point is to have you rely on that small area of illuminated light (which gives me a headache if I play too long). in the game's options at the start menu there is a brightness control so you can crank that up and it will save it to your game's profile but won't affect the tv settings if you like the way it is with other consoles/dvd, etc. That should help a little I think.

I noticed while watching playthroughs on youtube that even in the start of the game the events/ways seem to be different from mine. I'm not sure if the game randomly alters these or changes them to reflect what you answered on the first part of the survey, but I went through an audio shop where there playthrough I saw on youtube today went through a different dress shop.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.12.08 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2009.12.08, 01:45 PM   #138
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Even though messing with that kind of stuff is a bit too OTT (That was very nearly a pun) for Zelda, I thought it was cool what they did with the OOT/WW timeline thing. That bit in WW where you're in Hyrule Castle is amazing!

I really like Wind Waker (One of the closest things we have to a Studio Ghibli kind of game) except it was rushed and so the second half ended up being shitty. Twilight Princess had fun dungeons but was dull and soulless, and it's a shame Nintendo ended up catering to the Naruto/Manchild/FF7=Shakespeare demographic, a route that I'm scared they're gonna continue to go down with the upcoming Wii Zelda
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.08, 02:09 PM   #139
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Even though messing with that kind of stuff is a bit too OTT (That was very nearly a pun) for Zelda, I thought it was cool what they did with the OOT/WW timeline thing. That bit in WW where you're in Hyrule Castle is amazing!

I really like Wind Waker (One of the closest things we have to a Studio Ghibli kind of game) except it was rushed and so the second half ended up being shitty. Twilight Princess had fun dungeons but was dull and soulless, and it's a shame Nintendo ended up catering to the Naruto/Manchild/FF7=Shakespeare demographic, a route that I'm scared they're gonna continue to go down with the upcoming Wii Zelda
dull and soulless? I don't know about that, I mean the storyline and the animation was a bit more refined and more mature than previous installments, but Twilight Princess is truly the closest any game has come to recapturing elements of Ocarina of Time. The timeline does make sense and the only reason why OoT->WW is great is because it was the shock of the connection revealed. PH strictly takes over where WW ended and ST simply starts at the spot where WW promises to take them (that is, to a completely new land to start over).

I never finished Twilight Princess but I did like what I played. I think I'm two dungeons away from the end....the way they are talking about the new Wii Zelda makes it sound like it will be to TP what Majora's Mask was to OoT.
Old 2009.12.08, 03:09 PM   #140
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
the way they are talking about the new Wii Zelda makes it sound like it will be to TP what Majora's Mask was to OoT.
YES

Majora's mask was the best. The end was kinda... lame if you got the final mask, and kinda impossible if you didn't. But the whole game and game play was my favorite. I loved getting to know and experience all these different people's lives through collecting the masks. I hope they do that again, where you really get into the person's daily life.

And I liked Twilight Princess. Again, not as timeless as Ocarina of Time, but still enjoyable. And omgoodness the spinner is AMAZING.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote