Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2009.07.20, 03:25 PM   #41
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Thanks, so cold. I just signed up, too. They sound exciting live from the above impressions.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 05:53 PM   #42
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
At least Moto has stage presence though.
And the music sound awesome, so I don't care what or how he does it
If he has to tire himself out to get a sound that's not natural for the instrument he is playing, he should be playing an instrument that naturally sounds more like what he has been unnaturally trying to achieve.

If tenor saxophone doesn't have the range+texture that Moto wants, then he needs a custom or non-standard saxophone. That would be cooler than what he's been doing, because then he wouldn't have to retire so quickly when he starts to get old.

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
It suddenly makes you think why the PIMP is even there in the first place. On recordings in MVs he doesn't really seem to do anything, but in live performances, he is DA MAN. He basically plays the audience, gets them excited, makes them anticipate stuff, make them sing stuff... he's like the spiritual leader of the band. Quite amazing really. I would really LOOOOVE to see them again!!
In some of the performances I've seen, the pimp sometimes contributes toward the actual melody rather than crowd control. If the main keyboardist picks up a keytar, the pimp is on backup keyboard. Sometimes the pimp generates electronic melody from a touchpad, too. I dunno if he has done any of that in Europe, or if it's Japan only.

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Yes... If anyone else gets a chance to see them live, you actually wish that saxophone and trumpet to sound as raw and as nasty as possible!
That's what baritone saxophones are for. I love their crunchy sound. Baritone saxophones have noticeably more RAWR factor than any of the particular horns in SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS are capable of from any amount of performer exhaustion.

Whenever you watch the Simpsons, you ever notice Lisa Simpson's awesome saxophone solos in the intro? That's totally a baritone sax in most of the Simpson intros - if not all of them. I have suspicions that occasionally they switch it up with a tenor (not every Simpsons intro has the same solo), but never ever has Lisa Simpson played an alto sax. I haven't looked this up anywhere on the web - I'm just saying that based on what my ears are telling me. You listen to some baritone saxophone solos in Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, and you'll say to yourself "Yep, that's definitely the Lisa Simpson saxophone". It's such a badass sound.
Old 2009.07.20, 06:18 PM   #43
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

If he has to tire himself out to get a sound that's not natural for the instrument he is playing, he should be playing an instrument that naturally sounds more like what he has been unnaturally trying to achieve.

If tenor saxophone doesn't have the range+texture that Moto wants, then he needs a custom or non-standard saxophone. That would be cooler than what he's been doing, because then he wouldn't have to retire so quickly when he starts to get old.
I guess he has already spent some time on playing the sax, so he must have SOME reason for why he chooses the instrument he does use.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.20, 06:29 PM   #44
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Maybe he wants to develop the healthiest set of lungs in Japan without having to do any running or swimming.
Old 2009.07.20, 06:36 PM   #45
golem09

Maybe he wants to develop the healthiest set of lungs in Japan without having to do any running or swimming.
Maybe
Maybe it's easier to play on these with a certain speed/volume while having the sound

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.07.20, 08:44 PM   #46
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Yes... If anyone else gets a chance to see them live, you actually wish that saxophone and trumpet to sound as raw and as nasty as possible!)
True that. In recordings the sax almost sounds painful, it's hard for me to listen to a whole album with the brasses blaring all the time. However, it's quite a different story live! The sax & trumpet are basically like the power guitarists, and you really want them to go mad with the distortion cuz it really does convey a certain energy to the crowd!

Saw some guys filming the crowd, will probably buy their next dvd to see if I can find myself and golem in it. LOL.
Old 2009.07.23, 10:47 AM   #47
Glathannus
True Final Boss

There's a new album, and for once it doesn't have PIMP anywhere in the name.
I don't know if it's a real album then, or maybe it's a RealAlbum, like RealProducts from RealNetworks.
Old 2009.07.23, 01:29 PM   #48
golem09

Oh, so that was what the camera guy was there for:
A tour diary

http://www.youtube.com/user/soilpimp.../2/XlruzbK0sLg

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.07.23, 09:40 PM   #49
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Damn I didn't get interviewed!
Is that a private jet?
Old 2009.07.23, 10:30 PM   #50
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Dare I say S&PS kicks PE'Z in the behind live? their music is really visceral and exciting. The bebop soloing makes any particular song sound fresh every show.

i'm envious of you guys who got to really see them live. i have to rely on vids.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote