Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.05.09, 02:15 AM   #121
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Cosmo! View Post
Damn it.

My friend Roger snapped my copy of MuMo (it's a cool hipster SoHo SoCal thing) in half in a fit of rage. Geez. Call a guy's sister a slut one too many times...
LMFAO LMFAO
I know what you mean... what a funny comment!

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.13, 11:06 PM   #122
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Got four back issues of Rockin' on Japan at 神保町 today.
Ringo featured in all of them to lesser or greater extent.
Prices from left to right.
105, 500, 1800, 800

Last edited by Jonny : 2008.05.13 at 11:10 PM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.14, 12:44 AM   #123
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

An esay explanation of 神保町

Jinbōchō
(神保町, Jinbōchō?) is a neighborhood of Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan, known as Tokyo's center of used-book stores and publishing houses, and as a popular antique and curio shopping area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinb%C5...C5%8D%2C_Tokyo
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.14, 01:58 AM   #124
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I've yet to look around more in that area. I just went into the first old (rock) magazine shop I found. With more time and money, more can be found I'm sure.
Check out a few of the pictures here: Some pics
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.14, 02:07 AM   #125
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Those are interesting prices you paid, Jonny. I paid slightly more (base price), and got a bundle of nine issues in one Yahoo! Japan Auction, but then the international shipping (which wasn't even the seller's own charge) was like 8000yen. So in the end, it's like I bought Rockin' On Japan issues at around the same rate you did.

I'm keeping my eyes open for another massive bundle for auction, but the problem is the more bundles you buy, the more likely you are to have to buy duplicates. I suppose that would give me something to tear apart for perfect scans.

I saw someone selling years worth of "H", including many issues that featured Shiina Ringo, but there were all these other issues I didn't want, and the base price was around 50,000yen. I don't even want to imagine what the international shipping on that would be.

If I were ever in Japan, then hitting up stores like the one you visited, to get the last few issues I could never (by then) find in auction bundles, is probably a good idea. Trying to get one magazine at a time through auction, is a (financial) pain in the butt, even though you can find just about any issue you want.
Old 2008.05.19, 10:02 AM   #126
HIVERS

HIVERS pleased at least somebody

It's a stupid question,but can someone tell me where i could procure myself Tokyo Jihen & Shiina Ringo posters?
Old 2008.05.19, 10:14 AM   #127
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The posters are never officially available to consumers. You have to get them directly/indirectly from Japanese retail stores, after they're finished using a poster to advertise its associated product, and each branch of a store isn't going to have more than one of the same poster.

Eventually these posters make their way to Yahoo! Japan Auctions. If you live outside of Japan, then you will have to use what's called a "deputy service". A deputy service is a company that acts as a go-between for you to obtain Japanese goods that are only available in Japan, or somehow available in Japan for a better deal than you could get elsewhere. For auctions, a deputy service places a bid in their name, on your behalf. If and when 'they' win the item, it gets shipped to them (somewhere in Japan), then eventually to you. This can get very costly because you're paying for shipping at least twice, plus the deputy service needs to charge some kind of commission fee, so they can stay in business.

I've also noticed that Japanese music posters can be more expensive than most people might think, and that's before you're paying for double shipping and commissions. Muzai Moratorium cost me around $95 before all the additional costs, then a total of $110.50 afterwards. That's about how much Honnou is worth. Koko de Kiss Shite and Kabuki-cho no Joou are worth even more. Everything else is like $35-$75 (before fees), depending upon how many other serious bidders notice the auction at the time. Most of these posters have already been used to at least some small degree, with tape marks or pin holes on the corners, since they were meant for retail stores, and extra copies were never produced for direct sales to consumers.
Old 2008.05.19, 10:18 AM   #128
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

You can always make your own posters, I find that the poster on sale are never the pictures you want, here's one I made about two years ago, using a program called rasterbator.

*time to show off to newcomer

Name:  IMG_3184.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  323.3 KB

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.19, 11:05 AM   #129
Glathannus
True Final Boss

At least with rasturbations, you know what to expect. I was on the fence about buying poster(s) from Yahoo! Japan Auctions for years, until around a month ago, when I found an unusually honest seller with multiple posters I wanted, so I could combine shipping. With most poster auctions, the corners are held down by other objects, to keep the poster flat for the auction photo. In those instances, you don't know whether the corners are virgin or not (lack of pinholes and tape marks), unless the seller specifically mentions something about it. Most poster sellers in Yahoo! Japan Auctions don't say much. If I'm going to the trouble of getting a 'real' poster from Japan, I'm going to want to frame it, rather than pin it or tape it to my wall. With rasturbations, you can't nitpick so much because they're... expendable.

But I moderately agree that you can find far better magazine photos, than native posters. The magazines are cheap too, which you can also get through a deputy service, if you don't approve of the quality of scans floating around the internet. I have a lot of good material to work with, if I ever decide to go that route.
Old 2008.05.19, 11:11 AM   #130
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

I agree with much of what you said, except the statement that they're expendable...the time I spent on those posters...the cutting and measuring and inhaling of spray glue. I was so heartbroken when a moving error commited by my stepmother covered much of my rasterbations in soy sauce. NOT one of my many posters was salvaged...

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote