Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.06.30, 02:51 PM   #491
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

i still havent gotten many full run throughs of the album but i'm pretty familiar with most of it. they definitely are not as memorable as her other songs; that's for sure. i could say i haven't given it enough of a fair chance, but when you hear something that sticks, it sticks pretty quickly. if anything, they'll grow on me because i listen to them more and not because they're that good.

i do feel that i should listen to it all at once more just so that i can judge it as a full album, pacing, whether i'll feel like listening to it all often, etc. i don't think that will be the case, though. i feel it's a lot like variety. i heard it a billion times when it came out and enjoyed it, but eventually they ran out because they're not as deep. i was watching society of citizens and i did like the variety songs live a lot more than the albums even though the changes weren't drastic, but it's, as someone said, "too happy" for the most part. too much pointless energy around songs that aren't even that great. this feels like ringo got too excited about doing all these things and experimenting that she rushed her songwriting. sure, she had the time, but it seems the emphasis was put on the wrong place. like rushing a drawing so that you can make it look pretty in photoshop rather than spending more time on the lineart.

it's a shame that she doesn't want to perform this live, though. it would be awesome with neko and if she got the band together and rearranged everything, it'd make for an even better concert. they're amazing at arranging songs.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.06.30 at 02:54 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 03:34 PM   #492
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
so_cold, I still feel the same about Tsugou no ii Karada. It's a good song up until she starts to sing in English, and then it's just atrocious. I still can't get into this version of Karisome Otome (HF's was great); Ryuukou/Hayari is slowly growing on me, but I still don't like it; and Yokyou is pure garbage. Her "THANK YOU" at the end makes me cringe even more every time I hear it. Suuuch a lame song. The rest are good/great.
I can't remember Tsugou no ii Karada, I disliked it so much I took the MP3 off my player ! She likes her orchestras laid on thick, no? Oh well, when the CD arrives...

About KODJ, it's the chorus that I find overblown, the verse is OK. I'm about two years too late for this debate but it has made me appreciate the HF version more, it finally does something for me, it's nice tango. Actually I'd just like that song played by one piano, one cello, one violin (not a Neko grating one) and one accordion. It's like we've had 946 tracks with orchestras and how many with a string quartet - I get goosebumps from the ones on Unconditional Love and KSK. Expo KODJ is actually exciting (just listening on YouTube, there's more separation between her voice and the brass somehow and the drums sound great) but I've no idea if I'd want it as a regular listen.

Yokyou and me are just friends, including the "thank you", I can't explain it, even in its plain new clothes (yes, why did Nagoshi remove his own intro?) The Expo version was compared here a first solo era B-side (but I sort of agreed without knowing why) and I like those as much as I like anything.

Oh and Hayari pushes my I-like-Himitsu buttons. The rhythm of the rapping works as one or two others have said and the song only gets better as it goes on. Her wails hit just the right notes.

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.06.30 at 03:56 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 04:01 PM   #493
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Yokyou is pure garbage. Her "THANK YOU" at the end makes me cringe even more every time I hear it. Suuuch a lame song. The rest are good/great.
fluffie, remember when you said that Ariamaru Tomi was better than Yokyou? You were right.
Old 2009.06.30, 04:05 PM   #494
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
fluffie, remember when you said that Ariamaru Tomi was better than Yokyou? You were right.
The sound of the guitar on Ariamaru Tomi's really special and shows up SG-Yokyou...

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.06.30 at 04:10 PM. Reason: edited a bit more about Ariamaru Tomi out, need to HTH!
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 04:51 PM   #495
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Ariamaru is better than all of SG =p
Old 2009.06.30, 05:28 PM   #496
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

well, if AT is better than most of SG, that would bode well for the future, considering AT is the most recent thing she has written.

SG is quite likely culled from every phase over the past few years, mostly Jihen, of course. Hayari could easily kick Himitsu off the album and not a lot of people would notice. A lot of the music seems like it was written in Adult and HG sessions, altered a bit of course.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 05:59 PM   #497
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by makenshiww View Post
Why you have to wait soo long RAT? o.o
I'm in a school in Vermont learning Japanese, immersion-style. I could order the CD but I don't trust the campus post office. I could download the album but that's against principle.

So when I get out of this school in August I fly out to San Francisco where I will buy Sanmon Gossip in Japantown.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.30, 06:01 PM   #498
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

By the time you get around to that, you'll have to let the rest of us know what second-press looks like.
Old 2009.06.30, 06:30 PM   #499
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
I'm in a school in Vermont learning Japanese, immersion-style.
Middlebury?
Old 2009.06.30, 06:49 PM   #500
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Hayari could easily kick Himitsu off the album and not a lot of people would notice.
i would have noticed.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote