Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Associated Artists
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Associated Artists Hirama, H ZETT M, PE'Z, appa, Petrolz, etc.

Old 2007.08.20, 08:12 PM   #1
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer
Default PE'Z

So I was listening to Daichi Sanshou (the album version in Kimawari Zuki), and instead of being 5 minutes like the single version, it's actually... 22 minutes. When I first downloaded this album from JPopSuki (now a dead torrent - and I can't seed my files because they've been ReplayGain tagged), it became habitual for me to skip everything past 5 minutes, because it was just 'noise'.

Earlier this year, PE'Z released a double album called Funny Day & Hard Night. Now, it probably sounds like I'm changing the line of discussion, but I'm not, so bare with me here.

I was so caught up in the excitement of PE'Z releasing their first album of original material in like... 18 months, that I didn't notice something very special and sneaky that they did.

Today I revisited Kimawari Zuki, the album with the extended Daichi Sanshou on the end. About ten minutes into the song, different music starts playing, and it's barely audible behind the wilderness noises that have been going throughout the past few minutes and are still going. I was mostly ignoring this background music because it was too quiet and radio-distorted-like, but after a couple minutes, I realized "Woah, wait a minute... This is Delicious Sandwich, one of my favorite tracks from Funny Day & Hard Night!"

What's particularly significant here, is that Kimawari Zuki and Funny Day & Hard Night were released over three years apart, with two other albums of original material, one compilation album, and one cover album, all inbetween. Delicious Sandwich was never a B-Side either.

I've never heard of a band doing cameo songs before, especially none so subtle and far ahead of a full release. There's other songs playing in the background of the tail-end of Daichi Sanshou in a more obvious fashion (after the wilderness noises go away and they stop using the radio distortion), ones I'm not familiar with yet, but I'll figure out what they are as I snatch up more of their backlog from Yahoo! Japan Auctions. Either that or these are songs that will get released even later...

It's a shame that so many PE'Z CDs are out-of-print.

More stories from me are sure to come.
Old 2007.08.20, 10:32 PM   #2
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

It doesn't really seem all that surprising to me. There's tons of songs that bands write and use years later, whether it's because it didn't fit into an album, was too awkward compared to the other songs, or whatever. I don't have Kimawari Zuki, but 3 years isn't a very long time as far as when a song goes on cd. They've probably played it live a bit too.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.17, 06:44 PM   #3
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Does anyone know where I can get a romanized track list of their discography? Their website doesn't even have track lists for some albums @_@
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.17, 08:50 PM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Not that I hate Kanji, but my ripping and MD5 tools don't support it, so I always have to tag my songs with it after the fact, or else I have nothing but question marks, even though my overall Windows install is configured to support every character set. It's nice to have at least Romaji.

Fortunately PE'Z includes companion Romaji on a few of their printed tracklists in CD cases, but there is a small handful of songs where you seemingly get no Romaji whatsoever.

Unfortunately, PE'Z is inconsistent about their Romaji. For one album it's officially HARU HA YA TE, and for another album it's Haru Hayate. The best I can do is take pictures of everything I have, and enlist of the help of EmilScherbe and/or Jonny - I kinda like having multiple perspectives on Romaji since it's a very subjective process.
Old 2007.12.17, 08:58 PM   #5
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

ehh, don't worry about it then. Its just that I love how the Zune software shows Kanji and Hiragana and Katakana, but the Zune device itself shows squares instead. Lovely
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.28, 01:03 PM   #6
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

they will have a secret shows on myspace secretshowsjp!

http://www.myspace.com/secretshowsjp

before them was GO!GO!7188 =)

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.21, 01:43 PM   #7
timothysan

timothysan pleased at least somebody

i listened to some Pe'z stuff on youtube and am likin their songs. im planning on getting one of their albums or singles. could anyone recommend me their best one? and which CD is Akatsuki (frkkin luv tht song) on?
timothysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.21, 07:02 PM   #8
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

^I actually have Akatsuki on a 5-song EP entitled Akatsuki. No better place to start than there.
Old 2008.02.21, 07:28 PM   #9
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Not counting remixes or live performances or PVs, you can get Akatsuki in three places.
1.) The Akatsuki EP (which is actually a damn good EP as digdad already mentioned)
2.) The KUGATSU NO SOLA album. It's more expensive than an EP and the songs aren't as good as the EP on average, but some of the songs were still better than I'd expected.
3.) The Best 1st Stage compilation. This was the first PE'Z CD I ever bought, and it's jam-packed with mostly decent material. The only thing bad I have to say about it is that many of the songs got overplayed until I broadened my collection, and it kinda ruined a few of those songs for me within their original singles/albums.

If you don't have barrels of cash to throw at discovering new artists, I suggest you start with the Akatsuki EP, because that's going to give you the most value for your money. Studio versions of snow in the sea and keluku walk are unique to that EP, plus SPIRIT (not quite as unique among the PE'Z discography) is a damn good song, and BLEED! is decent. I'd like BLEED! even more if I hadn't already overplayed it on Best 1st Stage, which keeps me from saying that this is the perfect EP for me, but if you start off with it, I wouldn't be surprised if you found this to be the perfect EP for you. If I could only own about 5-10 total singles/EPs for any artists, Akatsuki would be on the list, right along with Mayonaka wa Junketsu.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.28, 06:39 PM   #10
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

They're bloody insane.

http://pezmoku.com/index.html

pe'z x suzumoku, 2nd mini album coming out.. wish I could get those.