Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.02.23, 03:11 PM   #11
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

maou, what makes you think that musicians who played in the studio sessions had anything to do with the music? did they write the music? no. ringo has talked about the influence that ukigumo, h zett m, izawa, kameda, etc has had on her music, it was for that reason that she approached them when she wanted to make the band, to approach people she created well with.

your misquoting me here, I didn't call anyone a "studio musician" I called them "session musicians" which makes a big difference. studio musician implies they are only there to record in a studio whereas session implies some sort of conversation between songwriter and musician, a dialogue, a session. and that is what they are, session musicians. they are out for hire, they play on tours and back up singers in the studio. it just so happens that ringo choose to invite the ones she worked well with to create a band. and while I think hirama and h zett m are incredible musicians, I personally don't like their style combined with ringo's.

kao is highly overrated, and while gunjyo biyori is great, it doesn't have shit on ichijiku no hana, which ukigumo is largely responsible for, and then you have tegami on adult, is that terrible?

clearly Variety isn't forgettable because its been two plus years and you guys still won't stop bitching about it.

where did I ever say in my post I didn't like non-phase 2 musicians playing phase 2 music? you seem to be making up shit out of nowhere. I have no problem with ringo playing ANY of TJ's music with ANY group of people. I said if TJ disbanded forever I would be sad and that to see ringo doing her solo shows without them made me a bit sad, not because I hate watching other musicians play their music, but because seeing ringo without the boys is a rare occurrence and feels lonely for some reason. more like she is alone on stage.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 03:15 PM   #12
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Muhahaah, what did you expect from this thread Kuro?

I think we're subconciously just trying to create drama to replace the hole that Shiina has left in our lives.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 03:23 PM   #13
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

XD thanks fine

trust me, if tori amos started sucking as bad as ringo has recently I'd probably be the first to win an oscar.

edit: althouuuuugh when amano tsukiko, who has been known to rock harder than ringo on occasion, said she was halting her music career I think most of us were sad over dramatic. maybe ringo will end her career and then all of us here can put things into perspective rather than flame for fun.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 03:43 PM   #14
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Two plus years is a bit of an exaggeration, Neko, but I hadn't realized how long it's been since the album was released. People here really make it hard to enjoy it .
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 03:46 PM   #15
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

The war must end today! We must co-exist, together! I'm sure there are some commonalities that we share.

Ex. I like my battered chicken salted instead of powdered with confectionary sugar.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 04:34 PM   #16
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

I would miss all of them. Over the years my appreciation for the band has grown to the point where I see all 5 them on the same level and not as 4 guys standing below Ringo on her 50ft high platform.

its fun to watch a band who has chemistry, loves the music they're making together, and wants to stay in the band for the long haul and keep growing through the good and not so good ideas.

I love to see conviction. if Variety is the F--You to their fans, i cant help but love them more for it.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 04:39 PM   #17
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
maou, what makes you think that musicians who played in the studio sessions had anything to do with the music? did they write the music? no. ringo has talked about the influence that ukigumo, h zett m, izawa, kameda, etc has had on her music, it was for that reason that she approached them when she wanted to make the band, to approach people she created well with.

your misquoting me here, I didn't call anyone a "studio musician" I called them "session musicians" which makes a big difference. studio musician implies they are only there to record in a studio whereas session implies some sort of conversation between songwriter and musician, a dialogue, a session. and that is what they are, session musicians. they are out for hire, they play on tours and back up singers in the studio. it just so happens that ringo choose to invite the ones she worked well with to create a band. and while I think hirama and h zett m are incredible musicians, I personally don't like their style combined with ringo's.

kao is highly overrated, and while gunjyo biyori is great, it doesn't have shit on ichijiku no hana, which ukigumo is largely responsible for, and then you have tegami on adult, is that terrible?

clearly Variety isn't forgettable because its been two plus years and you guys still won't stop bitching about it.

where did I ever say in my post I didn't like non-phase 2 musicians playing phase 2 music? you seem to be making up shit out of nowhere. I have no problem with ringo playing ANY of TJ's music with ANY group of people. I said if TJ disbanded forever I would be sad and that to see ringo doing her solo shows without them made me a bit sad, not because I hate watching other musicians play their music, but because seeing ringo without the boys is a rare occurrence and feels lonely for some reason. more like she is alone on stage.
1. Ringo has always had a reputation of listening to the suggestions of the artists she's recording with. She even switched her gear in the middle of recording MM because Susumu Nishikawa suggested it her to. It's safe to assume that while they didn't "write" the music, they made suggestions that influenced the finished product. You're being silly if you think Ringo constructed any of the guitar solos or the bassline of Sakana.

2. Studio and session musician means the same thing to me when we're not talking about mainstream/corporate pop music. The styles of HZM and Hirama meshed perfectly with Ringo's. EM and DO wouldn't have been nearly as good if they didn't. Phase 1 was essentially an extension of classic Ringo. Phase 2 is not. I had a friend listen to the entire SR/TJ discography with no prior knowledge of SR. He loved it until Adult in which he stated it sounded like they were forcing jazz into the sound. In other words, two new factors don't seem to mesh with Ringo's style.

3. Kao is underrated, but Ichijiku no Hana is better. You bitched at me for comparing certain songs before therefore Gunjou Biyori and Tegami (it is a great song) can't be compared. Gunjou Biyori is better than it's closest competitor, OSCA, and Service is better than Kuronekodow.

4. True it's hard to forget an album as bad as Variety, but I literally don't remember what Kingyo no Hako sounds like. I also remember Sake to Geko only because it ripped off a superior song in Kao. I also remember that one of the songs ripped off The Doors keyboard.

5. I apologize for a misunderstanding. I thought this:

As far as I am concerned, I don't Ringo performing her or Jihen's music without the current members of jihen.
meant you didn't want to hear anyone other than the current lineup playing their material. A missing word threw me off.
Old 2009.02.23, 08:39 PM   #18
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Sake to Geko is not at all a rip-off of Kao, mister! Take it from a guy who listens to Variety. :|
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 09:00 PM   #19
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

if Sake is a rip off of Kao then MaruSadi is a ripoff of DeBarge's "I like it"
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.23, 09:03 PM   #20
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

The ending piano sounds 95% the same as the JCHI version of Kao. Then again, it might be another one of those forgettable songs I'm thinking of.