Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.10.17, 11:09 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Question TJ Phase 1 was supposed to be the 'ultimate Japanese band?'

Well, one of the possible ultimate Japanese bands. I sort of get that impression, from the way Hirama on the guitar, and HZM on the keyboard (But even I can tell that he's sick). Combined with SR's songwriting talent, were they supposed to be the dream Japanese band? Kyouiku was great, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece.

So, Kyouiku was a great album, but on this forum at least, people seem to be evenly split between Kyouiku and Adult. For people who were underwhelmed by Kyouiku, do you think it was a case of 'too many cooks spoiling the broth?' Or were they just getting into their groove?. Yeah, Adult would still happen, but the third album? Obviously, you can't really guess these things. But it just makes me wonder.

Then again, they didn't even need their studio albums to be 'masterpieces' to be the ultimate Japanese band, if Dynamite Out! was any indication of things to come...

P.S. It's sad that I have to keep mentioning this, but I'm not trying to dig up the Phase 1 vs 2 argument. Just looking at Phase 1.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.17, 02:33 PM   #2
F999

F999 pleased at least somebody

My opinion about this so called "phase 1" Jihen is very extreme. I think they were the bomb, one of the very best bands in the whole world.
Old 2008.10.17, 05:12 PM   #3
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

I just don't get why specify Japanese. Most Japanese -bands- aren't anything close to them, they're on another level than simply their nationality
Old 2008.10.17, 08:40 PM   #4
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I've said it before, they coulda been the band of the era in at least japan/those that knew of them. They probly coulda somewhat broken through to the west, at least more successfully than Hikki and with more face than Puffy. But when talking about Jihen its hard not for me to also think about that scene in Revenge of the Sith between Obi-wan and Anakin after they fight. The fans are Obi-wan. =p
Old 2008.10.18, 10:36 AM   #5
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

The Japanese Velvet Revolver!

*but actually good*
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote