Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.09.30, 12:40 PM   #81
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

I like it... sounds like a Tokyo Jihen B-Side from the Adult era to me. I'll have to see it with the PV to judge it, but I'd go with "good, but not amazingly great".
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.30, 01:44 PM   #82
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I thought it sounded more in line from the Nippon B-side that we heard earlier this summer, which I enjoyed immensely and was hoping she would continue in that direction.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.30, 03:25 PM   #83
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't care for the song. Piano ballad and doo wop aren't very exciting to me.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.30, 03:37 PM   #84
FadedSun

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Doo wop? Is that supposed to be a joke? The song doesn't have any doo wop in it.
Old 2014.09.30, 04:11 PM   #85
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
There seem to be a lot of slower tracks on this now.... This, Carnation, Ima and Ariamaru.
Old 2014.09.30, 04:41 PM   #86
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Now on iTunes.

Misspelled!
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.30, 05:14 PM   #87
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by thefro View Post
I like it... sounds like a Tokyo Jihen B-Side from the Adult era to me.
Well, after sticking all the songs that we have together (assuming they're the same except for Kodoku) it REALLY does sound like Adult 2 so far. Except the main difference is if the original Adult was go out and get laid Adult, this is married life with a mortgage and kids, become interested in your countries heritage Adult :-p

There's your theme people.
Old 2014.10.01, 10:58 AM   #88
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The Land of the Rising Sun is gonna be the solo Jihen album, I'm sure of it. It would make sense for this to be her final release, because everything would come full circle. In my rational mind, Jihen her rebellion against SR, and so applying Jihen self-growth to this solo release neatly wraps up her entire discography. Reimport felt a lot like Adult like to me, but arranged in-cohesively.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2014.10.01 at 11:09 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.01, 12:49 PM   #89
FadedSun

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
The Land of the Rising Sun is gonna be the solo Jihen album, I'm sure of it. It would make sense for this to be her final release, because everything would come full circle. In my rational mind, Jihen her rebellion against SR, and so applying Jihen self-growth to this solo release neatly wraps up her entire discography. Reimport felt a lot like Adult like to me, but arranged in-cohesively.
Meh. Kind of weird to apply logic like this to someone's musical career. There doesn't have to be a significant place to stop making music. Many musicians have taken years off only to come back with a bang (Swans, Godflesh, blah blah blah). It's not like she's old either. There's no reason for her to quit making music all together. If she takes a hiatus, she has tons of incentive to come back if she feels like.
Old 2014.10.01, 12:54 PM   #90
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but given the track list, the new album doesn't really feel like it's the "last word". If SR is really going to go out (an awful thought which I can scarcely utter), I would think it would be with something more definitive...like KSK was supposed to be. Or she could go the other way entirely, with some sort of "best of" compilation. But she has seemed to undergo a resurgence since TJ broke up, so why quit now?

If anything, Hi Izuru Tokoro seems like a hedge to me...an even mix of older tracks that are known to have been successful, combined with some newer songs to test the waters. If it's successful, it could pave the way for a lot more solo work...but even if it's not incredibly successful, it's safe enough to be profitable.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote