Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.09.24, 10:20 PM   #7081
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
Whats up with Japanese male home musicians in women's clothing? There are too many of them.
I'd be willing to bet this guy's entire Youtube channel is a satire on the myriad of Nico Nico Douga covers that do just that. It's too over-the-top to think otherwise.

But holy hell, that's pretty damn impressive, and on an 8-string too. Here's one of my favorites. I don't know if his technique is quite on par with that dude, but I love this composition. And he certainly brings his A-game in terribly odd crossdressing department as well.

Zankoku na Tenshi no BASS
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.25, 12:32 AM   #7082
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
I'd be willing to bet this guy's entire Youtube channel is a satire on the myriad of Nico Nico Douga covers that do just that. It's too over-the-top to think otherwise.
I think he's a real otaku. Just watch some of his other clips lol
Here's the 'normal' him in a Korean fusion band.

Oriental Express

look at his bass
oh btw he's a Korean
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.25, 01:02 AM   #7083
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post

But holy hell, that's pretty damn impressive, and on an 8-string too. Here's one of my favorites. I don't know if his technique is quite on par with that dude, but I love this composition. And he certainly brings his A-game in terribly odd crossdressing department as well.

Zankoku na Tenshi no BASS
I agree that these youtube cover artists are bloody brilliant. I have subscribed to quite a few of these crossdresser musicians.

But I don't get why must they crossdress...
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.25, 08:08 AM   #7084
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I used to really like Hiromi but somewhere along the way I lost interest...I guess I'm not so much into jazz piano. For some reason that song made me immediately go and want to listen to Cornflake Girl, nothing in common AT ALL but still. This song never gets old.

cornflake girl
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.25, 01:43 PM   #7085
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

And never forget about H ZETT M and his unique style, so expressive.
PE'Z - keluku walk (PIANO.solo)

Edit: That Tori Amos song was good at first listening, I still need to get into her music.

Last edited by Carlx : 2011.09.25 at 02:22 PM.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.25, 08:55 PM   #7086
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Carlx View Post
And never forget about H ZETT M and his unique style, so expressive.
PE'Z - keluku walk (PIANO.solo)

Edit: That Tori Amos song was good at first listening, I still need to get into her music.
H ZETT M!!!! I will always remember accosting him in some dingy bar and shaking his hand for a moment too long. awwkkkwaaard. pianists and their hands lol.

today I was talking to a friend about how Tori is one of the only artists whose albums I feel like I truly ingest, that satisfy some hunger. Each album she makes she throws her entire self into, from the concept the music to the production...she is frequently criticized for being obtuse...but isn't that the point? in the age of fast food and quick and easy satisfaction isn't an obtuse puzzle great in its own right? every album she releases I feel like I spend weeks uncoding, with all the veiled references, mythological concepts and archetypes, melodies and harmonies that don't always click right away...I guess that is what gives it staying power for me.

another favorite...

caught a lite sneeze

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2011.09.25 at 08:59 PM.
Old 2011.09.25, 10:52 PM   #7087
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
H ZETT M!!!! I will always remember accosting him in some dingy bar and shaking his hand for a moment too long. awwkkkwaaard. pianists and their hands lol.

today I was talking to a friend about how Tori is one of the only artists whose albums I feel like I truly ingest, that satisfy some hunger. Each album she makes she throws her entire self into, from the concept the music to the production...she is frequently criticized for being obtuse...but isn't that the point? in the age of fast food and quick and easy satisfaction isn't an obtuse puzzle great in its own right? every album she releases I feel like I spend weeks uncoding, with all the veiled references, mythological concepts and archetypes, melodies and harmonies that don't always click right away...I guess that is what gives it staying power for me.

another favorite...

caught a lite sneeze
Up till a few years ago I woulda agreed but nowadays I just find her tiresome. I don't think any of the newer stuff has lasting appeal for me. That said at least NoH tries something different I guess. Not gonna make me listen to it more.

Also on a different note, biophilia is alright
Old 2011.09.26, 12:07 AM   #7088
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Also on a different note, biophilia is alright
I only tried it once, but I thought it was awful. She's really lost her touch after Vespertine and most of her stuff just too out there now. Doesn't seem like a grower so I probably won't try it again. I guess I just don't have the patience for "difficult" albums anymore, which might be why Pala is my favorite album of the year so far. =X
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.26, 03:52 AM   #7089
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yes,

I've just noticed how bad the reception for it is. I don't really understand why, Bjork delivered Bjork... it's better and more challenging than Volta, but not as hard listening as Drawing Restraint 9. Which is what I want.

And holy shit, the song "Sacrifice" is just awesome.

I'm gonna give it an 8/10

But yeah, not gonna try and figure this one out... very much the same way I'm not gonna figure out wtf is wrong with people who don't like Sanmon Gossip. Unsure whether a :-p is necessary

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.09.26 at 04:03 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.26, 09:07 AM   #7090
kuro_neko

I haven't bothered listening to Biophilia yet...I like Crystalline but I haven't cared for the other digital singles like Virus, Moon, and Cosmology.

NOH is being very well received by both rock and classical critics, which is kind of a nice surprise. We'll see how I feel about it in a few months. I threw AATS on and enjoyed it, which is generally how most recent music of hers works, I enjoy it in the moment but don't actively seek it out. I won't know that about NOH unless I have time to lose myself in some other album and wander back.

As part of her Deutsche Grammophone release deal, she is going to be a doing a Best Hits with Strings kind of deal in 2012 with the Metropole Orchestra, it has already been recorded. They are releasing it for the 20th Anniversary of Little Earthquakes, it will be a lot from that album and then other songs she has chosen through the rest of her career.