Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.10.03, 07:27 AM   #161
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Sooner or later both the emotion and criticism will all be gone. So congrats to the ones who are still deeply in love with her.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥Shiina Ringo Tokyo Jihen foreverrrrrr♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Old 2011.10.03, 07:30 AM   #162
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^ Indeed. I guess I am lucky that she still consistently moves me with her music. Peace.
Old 2011.10.03, 07:31 AM   #163
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
But seriously, it is very difficult when an artist you have heavily subscribed to forces you to re-examine that choice. And it still hurts, in some way, when you approach something new with an open mind and find it still doesn't fit right. Its a shame.

On the bright side, there is other music out there you are gonna love. If you've been closely following one artist, as we have, then there is guaranteed music you'll love that you've been missing. And it is a better use of that open mind.
That's just it. It's embarrassing admitting such things. But there's SO much music available that it's impossible that you won't find another match. In my case though, Ringo was such an unexpected discovery that I could be looking for ages for a 'replacement'. And I don't have the willpower to listen to new music every day.

I don't hate this song though. It's not bad at all. It's just the oba-chan/goat vocals that put me off. And it does sound like a shortened version of a longer song, so maybe my impression will improve when we hear it in full.

I'm also a fan of SG, so it's not like I haven't liked SR since Kyouiku.
Old 2011.10.03, 07:53 AM   #164
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
I guess I am lucky that she still consistently moves me with her music. Peace.
This is me, too. Even if I don't really care for something of hers or Jihen's; it all has eventually clicked with me. Case in point, I used to not really like the majority of Muzai Moratorium & Shouso Strip and hardly listened to Zecchoushu, if at all, but now I've grown to love them. Her music just inspires me in so many ways /corny.

As for Carnation, I think it's really beautiful, and I'm eagerly awaiting the full version.
Old 2011.10.03, 08:06 AM   #165
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
^ Indeed. I guess I am lucky that she still consistently moves me with her music. Peace.
I am honestly jealous of you as it's hard to disapprove what SR has done.
Since some of you don't want to read the melodrama stuff/negative comments, I think I will like the Discovery ver better.
Old 2011.10.03, 08:13 AM   #166
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I like Shiina Ringo

I don't like Neurosis.

I like Tokyo Jihen

I don't like Miku

And on it goes, round and round in circles like a Democrat.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.10.03 at 08:18 AM.
Old 2011.10.03, 08:41 AM   #167
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I find that it takes me longer to appreciate today's Ringo/TJ, unless it's something in-your-face awesome. Up to now I've been ascribing that mostly to an admittedly lame theory that the music has more subtle qualities that take time to appreciate, rather than just writing something off when it doesn't blow me away on a first listen.

I can hear Sports now without much pain, most of SG likewise.

The live performances always in some way redeem the studio-produced crap.

I don't know, it just takes more work to appreciate today's SR/TJ----even though on one basic level it's ultra-packaged and commercialized for easy consumption.
Old 2011.10.03, 09:18 AM   #168
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the problem that plagues ringo lately is the the same that plagues most artists in this digital age. rather than compose albums as whole they tend to produce tracks, which you can buy one by one, and as a result I think her albums have weakened, but she always comes out of of nowhere with one or two tracks on every release that I can't get enough of. Sports had two or three, Daihakken had one or two. What is sad is that MM, SS, KZK, those are albums I think of in their entirety and now I just think of her as good or bad songs. I don't think of concepts or albums.

her vocals have also gotten kind of annoying lately. they suit Tokyo Jihen but Carnation almost made me break out in hives.

as far as existentialism goes...well...you just gotta go where the money is, so to speak. look for other artists to get into and soon you'll find your disillusionment will fade. jihad can probably speak to how intense I was a few years ago and I've just mellowed out completely when it comes to ringo. it isn't that I don't care about what she does, I'm just not focused entirely on her. I also like other artists who are just as active and making interesting music. my interest in japanese music has definitely waned over the years though. we are having another mini UK invasion in the US and most of it is quite good.
Old 2011.10.03, 09:21 AM   #169
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I can't help but be awed by SR. I am still a little kid, you know...

But I do understand why the disappointment is coming... It is hard to love someone that keeps changing her image or style, is it not?

Carnation is really quite a surprise even though I know it will be dramatically different from anything she has created before. But the vocal is quite weird isn't it? It doesn't fit ballet music.

Ringo's music direction over the years is quite bizarre. She could be Da Vinci reincarnated, meddling in all kinds of stuff.
Old 2011.10.03, 09:34 AM   #170
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Carnation TV-size: http://orenji-chan.blogspot.com/2011...e-preview.html
Closed Thread