Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
View Poll Results: What is your favourite Star Wars (Original Trilogy) film?
A New Hope 2 12.50%
The Empire Strikes Back 12 75.00%
Return of the Jedi 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.03.25, 09:37 PM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default Your favourite ORIGINAL TRILOGY Star Wars movie

So, out of

A New Hope
The
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Which is your favourite Star Wars flick?

I didn't put in the prequel trilogy, because, well, I like to think they don't exist.

Anyway, I chose The Empire Strikes Back, because you have Hoth, Yoda, Luke's hand cut off (and in turn possibly the biggest 'reveal' in cinema history of Darth being Luke's father), Han in carbonite. Just to name a few highlights.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.03.25 at 09:40 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.25, 11:56 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Empire Strikes Back automatically wins for being the one Star Wars movie not directed by George Lucas.
Old 2012.03.26, 03:49 AM   #3
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

I thought Return of the Jedi was also not directed by George Lucas?

Empire Strikes Back wins that battle hands down. One of the best sequels of all time (Star Wars was never even meant to have a sequel!) that expands the mythology of the universe and makes everything an adventure worth experiencing.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.26, 04:03 AM   #4
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yeah, Return of the Jedi was directed by Richard Marquand (Irvan Kirshner directing Empire Strikes Back) and was also much stronger than eps 1, 2 and 3.
Old 2012.03.26, 04:59 AM   #5
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Yeah Jedi wasn't directed by Lucas, but Marquand was a relative novice and was hired in part so he wouldn't run away with the movie as Kirshner did. Kirshner sent Lucas into panic attacks because Lucas worried the movie didn't need to be done so well, have so much attention spent, to still sell well. This was an actual thing.

That said, Empire. No hesitation.
Old 2012.03.26, 07:45 AM   #6
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

A New Hope, although that's just me being rogue. My justification is that the film is standalone and doesn't need to lean on any other work in the Star Wars canon -- because, obviously it was produced to be standalone. The soundtrack is possibly my favorite from Williams; it's more subtly crafted in its use of lietmotif -- the four-chord Death Star motif from New Hope is more terror-inducing than the audacious Imperial March from Empire Strikes Back, for example. And the Battle of Yavin is the greatest action sequence in the series.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.26, 07:53 AM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Empire is even better on its own.
Old 2012.03.26, 09:01 AM   #8
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Empire is even better on its own.
The beginning can maybe stand without New Hope, but the ending definitely can't stand without Return. If New Hope had been the only Star Wars film, I'd have been satiated by it -- hell, it wasn't even designated "Episode IV" when it was first released. But Empire was "Episode V" all along. It was scripted to be part of a larger saga.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.26, 09:33 AM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

I know it was. What I'm saying is that if you can distance yourself from that external knowledge and focus right into Empire, its a pretty great story just standalone -- maybe even better with the ambiguity to begin with and with the ending.

Lets go microscopic: Empire attacks rebels, rebels respond with some running from the law and one training to be a warrior to topple the empire. What happens? The lead rogue gets imprisoned for his troubles and the warrior-in-training learns he is more intertwined with his enemy than he could have imagined and literally loses a piece of himself. The last shot is the remains of the group plotting their next move.

Sure, that seems more like end of Act 2 stuff. "Well how to they respond?" You may ask. Personally I think the last shot says it -- whatever you may want to project onto it. Maybe they're looking into outer space and plotting their next attack, maybe they're staring defeated into the void. Imagine Star Wars was as avant garde as A New Hope and Empire (and THX) presented and just ended on that last frame of Empire. The ending works! Yes it is more ambiguous, but if everything started and stopped at Empire I'm sure today there would be people that knew who came out a victor, even if the movie didn't explicitly say. If you were an optimist, going to Jabba's and blowing up the death star again was a formality.

(The only hard to explain thing if you single out Empire is the Kenobi ghost, hahah)
Old 2012.03.27, 04:03 PM   #10
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Empire is the best. It improved upon the story, introduced some of the most memorable moments/characters in movie history, featured no overbearing characters, had a love story that worked, had some great music, and ended with a non-Hollywood ending. Mmm, yummy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJ4jdc9FbI

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2012.03.27 at 04:07 PM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote