Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.06.07, 07:54 AM   #11
destrega
Banned

destrega pleased at least somebody

It's hard to value this album because most of the sales data is based on Japanese auction site prices where passionate individuals can bet silly prices and give the impression it's worth more than it really is.

I'd value a sealed example round the $85 mark, but the market is what decides, and it goes for what someone is willing to pay in the end.
destrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.07, 09:05 AM   #12
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Ha gees, in 2007, $50 was a lot for KZK vinyl...

You're not likely to see one under 6000 yen anymore, new or sealed
If I recall correctly, the eBay auction discussed here, actually closed for a lot more than $50. People here were merely commenting about the current bid, before the auction was finished. I think it was closer to $110 in the end.

Originally Posted by destrega View Post
It's hard to value this album because most of the sales data is based on Japanese auction site prices where passionate individuals can bet silly prices and give the impression it's worth more than it really is.

I'd value a sealed example round the $85 mark, but the market is what decides, and it goes for what someone is willing to pay in the end.
Unless a KSK vinyl auction were to fly below the radar, then it closes for what two people are willing to pay (more specifically, the most serious bidder pays the full maximum of the second-highest bidder). Without a second-highest bidder, it makes no difference what one person is willing to pay beyond the starting price.

Then there's the people who don't bid their honest-with-themselves maximums at first, who bitch and moan when it turns out a last-second bidder was predetermined to pay more. So whenever "the market decides" the value of an auction, the closing price is ultimately the lesser of how much the two highest bidders could already justify paying for the item.

Most of the inflated prices I ever see, are from early bidders trying to leapfrog over each other - bidders who constantly change their mind about how much something is worth, based on how much it turns out someone else is willing to pay. I almost want to knock some sense into those people, but there are rarely ever 2+ of them placing early bids on the particular auctions I'm interested in. 1 unstable bidder on their own, hardly inflates the auction price for the last-second bidders like me. Often I'm willing to pay more than 2 unstable bidders anyway, but it's a real shame that they feel some need to continually challenge each others' maximums. That's where most of the inflation comes from, and Japanese auctions have more potential for this than eBay, because bids placed within the 'final' 5 minutes of an auction, will auto-extend the duration of the auction by another 5 minutes. I've seen a couple of Japanese auctions get pushed back a whole extra hour from this.

Just out of curiosity, is your $85 assessment for New or Used,
and if New, then is the $85 based on how many New copies you suppose still exist? Ultimately, that matters to me much more than the "market consensus". In the rarity sense, I think a lot of Shiina Ringo goods have been undervalued. I paid 14000 yen for a Used vinyl of Sweets for my SPITZ. Did I pay too much? Not if I haven't seen another one since (in any condition - and I'm talking about Japanese listings).
Old 2011.06.07, 02:27 PM   #13
destrega
Banned

destrega pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Just out of curiosity, is your $85 assessment for New or Used,
and if New, then is the $85 based on how many New copies you suppose still exist? Ultimately, that matters to me much more than the "market consensus". In the rarity sense, I think a lot of Shiina Ringo goods have been undervalued. I paid 14000 yen for a Used vinyl of Sweets for my SPITZ. Did I pay too much? Not if I haven't seen another one since (in any condition - and I'm talking about Japanese listings).
Used. $150+ for new seems acceptable enough to me given that it's not readily available in western stores.

Don't know. I read somewhere 3000 were made so if that number is right then I'd guess about 400 were out there but again I have nothing to back that up.

If you haven't come across another example then you have nothing to base a financial value against. If you're comfortable with what you paid then I guess that's it's value. It's not my business to judge whether you overpaid.
destrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.28, 11:52 AM   #14
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm having a lot of trouble locating ANY vinyl LPs of Shiina's. I'm in the market for them if anyone knows where I could buy one, or if anyone is selling theirs. Greatly appreciated!
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.28, 03:38 PM   #15
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble locating ANY vinyl LPs of Shiina's. I'm in the market for them if anyone knows where I could buy one, or if anyone is selling theirs. Greatly appreciated!
If you want HF, HMV still have it listed I believe. But other than that you're gonna have to go through auction sites most likely.
Old 2012.09.28, 05:45 PM   #16
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
If you want, I can sell you a whole set of 9 LPs, each of them brand new. I'm not selling them individually. My price is $1000 + whatever shipping and insurance you want, and these LPs are already in the United States.

I welcome anyone else to beat that price.
Offer expires when I'm employed again (hopefully this year).
Old 2012.09.29, 04:56 PM   #17
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
If you want, I can sell you a whole set of 9 LPs, each of them brand new. I'm not selling them individually. My price is $1000 + whatever shipping and insurance you want, and these LPs are already in the United States.

I welcome anyone else to beat that price.
Offer expires when I'm employed again (hopefully this year).
Yikes! Unfortunately I don't have over $1000 to drop on some LPs right now. Mostly looking to buy one or two at most. I can understand your willingness to sell them as a whole, but I just can't do that.

What is HMV, by the way? I'm not familiar with it.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.29, 05:07 PM   #18
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Oh, its a (mainly) music chain, the Japanese one's website is hmv.co.jp

Anyway, the HF LP was on there for quite some time, unfortunately I just took a look and it seems that it's finally sold out :-/
Old 2012.09.29, 09:44 PM   #19
Glathannus
True Final Boss

The Shiina Ringo LPs aren't news anymore. The primary market for them ended without any LP release of Sports or Dai-hakken, and with HF finally selling out roughly 4 months ago. Everything else was already gone by then, including Saturday Night Gossip.
Old 2012.10.13, 05:53 AM   #20
Glathannus
True Final Boss

*bump*
The copy on eBay that this thread was started about, closed for $110 - 5 years ago.

How much would any of you pay this year, just for KSK on its own?