Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.18, 11:34 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Arrow Why were people so STILL in Dynamite Out?

I was watching it again today, and I can't for the life of me understand HOW the audience could keep so still, passively nodding their heads apart from a few people freaking out in the front? I'm guessing the concert was even more explosive live than it was on DVD. Don't tell me this is to do with 'Japanese society' or whatever.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 11:40 AM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I've stood still during harder stuff than that. You have to get me on drugs before I'll move to anything. It's not even a philosophy as if I'm "above" the idea of dancing or head-banging - it's just the way I'm wired.

I don't know if I'd blame Japanese society because I've seen crowds go almost completely out of control for Asai Kenichi.
Old 2009.04.18, 11:44 AM   #3
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I won't move all the time either (Outside of nodding my head to the music). But depending on what it is, I can't help but move.

Like, you have Hirama and HZM and Hata being all excited and getting into it, and the crowd is just frozen. I could understand that for, say, Just Can't Help It (Sorry, I just couldn't help it), but not for DO!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 11:45 AM   #4
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

From all the japanese concerts I saw (on DVD), I'd say yep, it's the japanese way.
I think there was a discussion about this before (or maybe I'm confusing forums).
It's not like every japanese person just stands during concerts, but most do. And they also clap for a very short time, after each performance. Compared to portuguese or european audiences... it's really ridiculous =P

However, in their defense, that was a seated audience, so there's not much space to do anything other than stand.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 02:13 PM   #5
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

2 words: Cultural differences.
It's just the way Japanese audiences are. It doesn't mean they don't enjoy the music. They just don't externalise it the way westerners do.
Old 2009.04.18, 06:01 PM   #6
Jesse

Jesse has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The thing that freaks me out the most is when Japanese audiences all clap along to the music in exactly the same way.

I got told to sit down during a Muse concert... Everyone around me were sitting there like they were watching an opera. I will never forgive myself for not buying general admission standing tickets.
Old 2009.04.18, 07:49 PM   #7
ChickShhh

ChickShhh puts considerable thought into their posts

the crowd in Ringo EXPO was incredibly still as well.

Last edited by ChickShhh : 2009.04.18 at 07:58 PM.
ChickShhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 10:34 PM   #8
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Not a lot of room to manuever in that auditorium.

At least they're standing. I know people who stay SEATED (yes, in America) during rock-out concerts.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.18, 10:40 PM   #9
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

well I think there is more emphasis placed on watching a show. I kind of like it actually. I mean I've had beer spilled all over my during a seated concert. People getting up and leaving and coming back several times, getting drunk, standing up and spilling crap all over me. At Tori Amos no less. It is so obnoxious. It is nice to go to a show where people kind of are in awe of the performer. Although, it depends. At Society of the Citizens people were dancing a lot. And at Amano Tsukiko she has AWESOME crowds, jumping and thrashing. Ringo is just more of visually stunning performance. Honestly, there is just something about her presence, when you are in the same room with her she is just captivating. as soon as she comes out its like all eyes on her. I've been within five feet of her at least twice, within 20 another two times, and each and every time I'm still astonished at how beautiful and commanding her presence is.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.19, 04:43 AM   #10
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

I remember at a certain mailing list about Japanese underground music scene that a leading member criticize some audiences "bad manner".
"I'm really annoyed of these guys who raged during live act.
I wanted them to go some other places."

While I hate audience's north korea esque mass game like re-action of some main-stream musicans concert, want not to be bothered of enjoy music.

Some overseas musican praise Japanese audience attitude like
"you guys are really come to listen our music instead to go berserk".
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote