Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.10.16, 04:18 AM   #161
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

In one way I think Honnou is overrated because it isn't my favourite solo song, whereas it tends to be on the top of the list of so many. But I wouldn't want to label it as overrated because of the negative connotations associated with the word, and I absolutely adore Honnou. Just maybe not as much as other people.

I've always disliked Koko de Kiss Shite. I don't find it really that catchy, and I think it's pretty generic. Maybe I wouldn't mind it if it was a b-side, but as it stands I'm going to have to give it the overrated tag; even though it seems that very few really rate much anyway

I'd have to put La Salle de Bain as my most underrated song. It has a special place in my heart because it's the first Shiina song I ever heard. The second song I heard was Koko de Kiss Shite That maybe explains my great love for this song and dislike for the latter. Luckily as I started exploring the rest of her catalogue I found KdKS to be mostly a one off in terms of being underwhelming, but I still remember the first time I heard La Salle de Bain and thinking "Wow, what is this!" (in a good way). And then not even caring when the rest of her material didn't sound remotely similar.
Old 2008.10.16, 05:22 AM   #162
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Hey, I remember a good underrated song... Shuukyou. Underrated by Ringo herself, who never performed it live! >_<
And Yami ni Furu Ame, for that matter, but this one I just find it weird that she never played it live, since so many fans seem to like (me as well).
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.16, 01:54 PM   #163
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Maybe she was just afraid it wouldn't come across good live? I can understand that with all the layering of Shuukyou, but I'm sure she could pull out Yami ni furu ame just well, so yes, that's indeed weird. Like I read Kate Bush didn't go touring after her first tour again also for the reason she was pulling her production capability to the limits and couldn't recreate it in live environment then. Don't know if that's true, but makes sense... and for Shuukyou as well...
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.16, 03:16 PM   #164
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

yeah, I doubt the reason Shiina hasn't played Shuukyou is because she thinks it sucks or anything =p
Old 2008.10.16, 03:38 PM   #165
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I imagine Ringo hasn't played some music live because she didn't intend for that song to be played live. There are songs that are infamously live only with many artists...they have tried to put them on albums, but the magic isn't there or it never works or fits....it goes the other way too, sometimes there are songs that are studio only and the live just doesn't capture it....Shuukyou to me strikes me as that type of song.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.17, 06:04 AM   #166
teattum

teattum has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Watching the topic, I notice that songs are under or over -rated especially by a personnal Taste. The only time we can think of them, it's by seiing what are the song the more loved.

So, from my egocentric explanation:

Underrated:
Hatsoukoi Shoujo. It's a planning atmosphere. I close my eyes and I have the impression to get in drugs! This song make me think about Oceania (Bjork). It's like a dream where we are taken along on fantasies places. But it's a little dark, so the imaginary landscape is in twilight... I could almost see this song in a remake of 20000 Leagues Under the Sea
Ichijiku No Hana. A B side, but a gorgeous ballad. The ideal song to awake children when the holidays... If they are fond of Little House: A New Beginning. End of joke, it's a goody song!

Unrated:
Service. I hate it in album version, but the remake in "just can't help it" is great!

Overrated:
Honnou. The song which came directly in my mind. It's sweet, but not more. But the way it knewn... Listen to it when a whole day, there is enough to be irritated for life!

I stop here, after all, I don't really know how songs are loved or not. I only judge with feeling.
teattum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.17, 09:31 AM   #167
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

everyone loves shuukyou, that's why isn't underrated at all
and SR didn't play it live, because she doesn't got the right inspiration yet IMO

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.17, 03:30 PM   #168
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Lena-chan View Post
everyone loves shuukyou, that's why isn't underrated at all
I said it was "underrated" by Ringo, not by the fans, just because she hasn't play it live.
She played Oiran (TJ version) live, and no one would have thought Stoicism worked so well live as it did in Zazen... So it's not just "because it has too much production", she could have come up with a different arrengement (she did it as well with Souretsu D!VL).
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.17, 08:47 PM   #169
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Maybe she's saving it for when she has absolutely nothing left to sell ?

shuukyou tour
(@ the Nippon Budokan)

"They Said She'd Never Sing It Live"

500 nights only! The Final Farewell Tour
Tickets 90.000 Yen
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.17, 08:54 PM   #170
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Stop hating on Honnou and Gibs! Two of the best songs from the solo era. No debate

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote