Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.07.14, 08:10 AM   #101
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

to me the intro of 'Koko de Kiss Shite' sounds like/reminds me of 'You Oughta Know' by Morissette!

Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.14, 08:12 AM   #102
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
It's really the intro to the song... I admit I didn't make that association when I first heard it- I read it somewhere on the web and it clicked. All I knew back then is that I really didn't like it because it sounded like an imitation of some sort.
I got the Morisette connection with the intro to that song the first time I heard it. I don't think it's a resemblance to any one song in particular, it just sounds like her style. When I pointed it out to my wife though, who is an Alanis Morisette fan, she just looked at me like I was crazy. Good to know others see it too.

Edit: Now that I think of it, Ringobingo may be right. It may be very close to "You Outta Know".
Old 2008.07.14, 08:26 AM   #103
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Masuku View Post
^ Well I own one album by Morisette, i'll listen through and compare then! Or can you tell exact song which sounds alike?
I meant the first 15 seconds of Koko de Kiss Shite. Very Jagged Little Pill era Morisette.
I also heard she was often compared to Morisette when she first debuted but I don't know if that's true...

EDIT: You Oughta Know is the best example I can think of... but also her style in general like digdad said.

Last edited by a_grumble_cake : 2008.07.14 at 08:34 AM.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.19, 12:48 AM   #104
ringomaster
Banned

ringomaster doesn't know when to shut up

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
There's something disturbing about your avatar, but I can't just nail what it is. I guess it's Ringo's disappointed look, like she's forgotten her lunchbox on the Marunouchi line or something.
What we have here is a photograph of a racy contemporary young woman in spy-fiction attire with a panicked twist to her visage. The word "ANAL" is spread across it in eye-catching hot pink for no reason. Maybe photographs of racy contemporary young women combined with dirty words is a sexy new fad, coming to gas stations near you.

And that Kiss Shite intro is cringeworthy.
ringomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.22, 06:53 PM   #105
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Oh snaps! I never read a grumble cake's avatar! hahah, that's so good. I always thought it sounded like that =).
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.22, 08:40 PM   #106
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah koko de kiss shite sounds like jagged little pill if your deaf.....how can you compare a fairly benign ballad to a rather bitter and angry rock song? just my opinion though...

I got into Ringo because a friend left a mix cd with Identity in my car sometime between SS and KZK. I think it was closer to 2001. I thought it was pretty badass and then after seeing the Honnou video because of the lesbian undertones (these were lesbians sharing) I started to see other videos like Gibbs and Tsumi to Batsu, mostly SS stuff. I got MM later on and from there starting collecting her releases. I can remember KZK dividing our camp forever. I think it is kind of sad, ironic, and funny how the mix cd was mainly visual bands....to mix Ringo with bands like Hyde, Dir en Grey, L'Arc en Ciel, etc etc. Kind of a contrast....Identity fits with the harder visual music but most of her back catalogue doesn't.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.22, 08:48 PM   #107
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

i think they meant the intro to koko de
Old 2008.07.23, 12:18 AM   #108
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Yeah my friend who got me into Ringo through "Identity" was also hardcore into visual kei at the time. Go figure.

Also, ringomaster's avatar looks a typical LJ icon. I'd guess the anal means "anal retentive" because she looks pissy and uptight in that picture, and not "into anal sex."
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.23, 03:52 AM   #109
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Nooo I think we should ban the word Very Krappy music, else google makes us be visited by these awful creatures (fans) from.. HELL
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.17, 10:52 AM   #110
linus

linus pleased at least somebody

I have to admit I stumbled on Shiina Ringo on youtube when I was looking for Japanese music.

I've been learning Japanese for about two years now and I want to get a feel for the spoken language by watching Japanese movies and listening to Japanese music. There's a lot of Japanese music I don't like very much, but I was absolutely blown away by Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen. Inside a very short frame of time, Ringo has become my favorite Japanese singer/musician.

I have bought two records so far, Shouso Strip and the Mayonaka wa junketsu single, and I'm going to order more records next week. I'll probably try the cover album next.
linus is offline   Reply With Quote