Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2014.04.08, 10:40 PM   #351
anonlurker

Jeez. That's $200 all day long. I'm being generous at $15 a disc. $220 maybe for a nice box. :/
Old 2014.04.09, 03:54 AM   #352
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

This is Japan press were talking...
Old 2014.05.12, 12:11 AM   #353
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

1. DragonBall
2. Death Note
3. Nana

That is all.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.08, 09:15 PM   #354
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

What are people watching recently?

I randomly started a show called Code-E about a girl who like, gives off electromagnetic waves when she gets stressed? It's a good time kill and seems fairly interesting. In a similar vein, I'm also making steady progress through Dennou Coil, a better quality show imo that has to do with digital conspiracies. The cast is basically kids though so it has a kind of clubhouse adventure vibe as well that I really enjoy.

I'm also trying to start Dirty Pair, but not having subtitles drains my brain power about twice as fast. When I need something a bit easier on the brain, I turn to stuff like The Idolm@ster and Aikatsu!, both of which are enjoyable and cute with fun pop music, though I can't say if many folks here would be into the recent anime idol boom.

As for new stuff, I'm watching Osomatsu-san, and rewatching, and rewatching... It's hilarious.
Old 2015.11.08, 09:24 PM   #355
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

More anime I start, the more I'm pretty sure anime is dead.
Old 2015.11.08, 09:29 PM   #356
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

I have been clean for about 10 years...but Dirty Pair was a blast. Not sure what you mean about not having subs, there is definitely a subbed release of it.

If you haven't seen it - I'd recommend Bubblegum Crisis (the original one) or Cromartie High School.

ETA: deadgrandma is right, most of the new stuff is not as good as what we were getting in the 90s. Though I am anxiously awaiting Megumi's new series...

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.11.08 at 09:34 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.08, 09:51 PM   #357
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think anime has the same problem as music as in there's just SO MUCH OF IT that it takes time to find really great stuff. That's why I end up watching older stuff, but there's a lot of brilliant stuff if you look a little, depending on what you watch anime for. Some of the strides recent animation has made are really incredible though.

I'll definitely check out bubblegum crisis! I also want to eventually look into stuff like 3x3 eyes and el hazard--all the stuff I never got around to when it was still somewhat relevant

I recently bought the current 8 volumes of the manga for the show that Hayamegu will be voicing in. I've not read it yet, but the author really does such wonderful writing IMO and has a really refreshing art style, so I have high hopes.

I tried Cromartie once, but wasn't too sure what I was looking at. I'll give it a second spin. Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou seems like a similar series, and it's pure genius IMO so if you're ever tempted to watch something ridiculous that'd be my recommendation.

Also not having subs as in, the subtitles just don't work for some reason. I'm sure I downloaded a subtitled version, but...
Old 2015.11.09, 02:20 AM   #358
deadgrandma

What's something without high schools , whiny teens or pretentious symbolism that's on par with anything from the 90s?
Old 2015.11.09, 02:39 AM   #359
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I'm teaching a class on anime right now, and so have been catching up on things I missed the last 4-5 years.

At the top of the heap are these recent shows:

Kill La Kill -- an absurd carnival of magical-girl fighting with so many things flying, banging, and blowing up, I watched it in constant amazement.

Tatami Galaxy -- I'm only a little into this and it's clearly one of a kind. A very complex narrative structure and a real sense of thematic purpose (unlike 90% of the rest out there, including Kill La Kill).

Expelled from Paradise -- This film is controversial because it uses the "3D looks like 2D" style, but damn it is charming. A little bit of everything (action, drama, comedy, sexiness), incredibly well animated.

Other recent shows I've been checking out are Psycho-Pass, Attack on Titan, Prison School, Gurren Lagann, and a shitload of others in the queue. Between Netflix and Hulu there's no end to the amount of available stuff.

I can't believe all the Dirty Pair love! I've been watching it too, and it's one of my top five of all time. It's got the perfect 80s vibe. Like Cowboy Bebop, it's set in the future but is totally blase about the environment. A GDF show: Good Dumb Fun.

Other oldies I've caught up with and love are Rose of Versailles, Lupin III, Captain Harlock, and Star Blazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato). And some Gatchaman.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.09, 02:51 AM   #360
deadgrandma

Attack on Titan is pretty much Evangelion right?

Kill la Kill almost set off my epilepsy so I won't be watching that again.