Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.09.14, 10:10 AM   #31
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

IMO, "customers" is far more respectful in Japanese than "listeners" and much more so than "fans".
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.14, 10:41 AM   #32
anonlurker

I think "customers" is a little too cold (and honest) compared to "listeners" which feels more natural and organic. I'd rather pretend we were sharing in her artistic expression instead of consuming her product.

I guess it's all the same no matter how you try to tart it up!
Old 2014.09.14, 05:40 PM   #33
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

-Customers actually buy the music and enjoy, or at least compain about the MUSIC itself.
-Listeners download stuff for FREE from the internet and STILL complain about shit being transcoded. Probably don't even "listen" to it at all anyway.

If this was a hashtag, it would be #bitteroldman :-p
Old 2014.09.14, 10:30 PM   #34
anonlurker

Listeners might also hear it on the TV/radio without bootlegging.

In Japan!

Anyway, what's wrong with trying before buying? I know that's a shitty cop-out for pirates, but if something stands out then I'll always buy it. Fuck, if they build a modern lossless-selling digital infrastructure then I'll buy everything. Logistics are the bane of my life. Step up to 2014, Japan.
Old 2014.09.14, 10:49 PM   #35
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Ototoy serves as a glimmer of hope

But why the occasional mp3 only releases??
Old 2014.09.14, 10:58 PM   #36
anonlurker

Yea that part kinda sucks. Still nothing beats paying for your lossless and listening to it 10 minutes later. No week wait or courier/custom bullshit.

Environment friendly as well.
Old 2014.09.15, 07:54 AM   #37
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by lazer85 View Post
She went from referring to us as listeners to calling us fans, and now she addresses us as customers in her interviews.
And yet, if she would have called her fans in the early 2000's "customers" it might have been brilliant.

(Does she really use "customers" these days? :S )
Old 2014.09.15, 08:05 AM   #38
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

If "kyaku-sama" is what people are referring to, it can mean more than just "customer." But what would be suitably casual? "Sheena-holics"? "Ringo-lettes"?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.15, 11:43 AM   #39
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

I don't know which word is being translated into "customers", but I'm probably on TurtleFu's side on this one. I'm assuming it's the word that Nimh mentioned above. That word is very polite in Japanese, and it really suits the refined image she is going for now. In the end, you can't really complain about what someone says when it's translated from a language you don't fully understand. I also with Jihad -- no one would be complaining about this if it was ten odd years ago.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.09.15, 12:16 PM   #40
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Listeners = CLT
Fans = Little Monsters, Beyhive, Barbies, Sheep
Customers = Japanese manners
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote