Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.12.20, 01:08 PM   #351
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Having seen the first six minutes, I have to say they really have to clean up Bane's dialogue. Unintelligibility is one thing, but when you can't even resort to lip-reading it's an issue.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.20, 04:47 PM   #352
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

as much as I want to care about TDR I just can't when we are getting Prometheus in June.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.21, 04:22 PM   #353
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

David Fincher's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" -yay or nay.

Personally, (I know it's shallow), but fuck.... that girl is such a wranger...

And James B... uh I mean Daniel Craig, I dunno....
Old 2011.12.21, 04:58 PM   #354
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

1. The main character is an obvious author stand-in
2. The supposedly "strong" female lead actually pretty much exists in service to the male lead
3. Overall, the books are the author's personal fantasies come to life. I don't know what the word for it is, but he basically cast himself as the hero who gets the girl(s), combined with a bit of personal paranoia to cover the injustices he felt her experience in his life.
With that perspective, reading the books goes from "pretty good novel" to "oh god this is hella creepy"
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.22, 10:05 AM   #355
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
David Fincher's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" -yay or nay.

Personally, (I know it's shallow), but fuck.... that girl is such a wranger...

And James B... uh I mean Daniel Craig, I dunno....
You'll hate it. You can hear Karen O singing in the soundtrack.

I'd say rent it in the future. This version is a little better than the Swedish version. Mara's Lisbeth was better than Rapace's. Noomi Rapace is more beautiful and slightly more talented than Rooney Mara, but Mara had a better character to work with.
Old 2011.12.22, 02:25 PM   #356
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Lol, Karen O. I dont hate her, I just hate the Yeah Yeah Yeahs after album 2 (Even then, Gold Lion was pretty hmm at times) onwards, especially the egg one. Also, I looked up the soundtrack, Immigrant Song with goddamn Trent Reznor (now that is someone who I feel is "overrated") which was pretty ewwwwwwww-worthy.

I like(d) David Fincher (up to Zodiac, disliked Benjamin Button and kinda only sorta liked Social Network), but I didn't even like the original movie or the book TBH (even though it works well as part of the trilogy). So yeah, I'll take your advice and rent it.
Old 2011.12.23, 04:34 PM   #357
kuro_neko

About Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I say yay.

didn't like the swedish version, loved the american version. mara rooney was a better lisbeth and "became" the character, her understated performance is quietly intense in a disturbing manner. the few changes between the two actually work more in the american version's favor, and overall the subject matter was handled more gracefully. what I found blunt and tactless in the original is presented just as harshly and abrasive here, but because of the performances and the stronger director, you end up empathizing with Lisbeth and it adds overall punch to the entire experience.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2011.12.23 at 04:39 PM.
Old 2011.12.27, 02:39 PM   #358
TurtleFu

I just saw the movie. Overall I'll say, as a modern detective thriller, it has lots of tension. It suffers from a couple of too-convenient sudden clues, but overall the characters are compelling and its very well acted.
From a different point of view, I disliked the rape scenes. They were brutal, sure, but also somewhat cliche. Rooney was pretty good, but I felt like a lot of what she said was cliche, even if I do think she inhabited the role well.
I haven't seen the Swedish version, but I can very much tell this is a Fincher film. Everything has an almost unnatural vibe to it.
Definitely a "yes" for renting in the future, but the opening credits were AMAZING in the theater.
Old 2011.12.28, 06:18 AM   #359
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I just saw the movie. Overall I'll say, as a modern detective thriller, it has lots of tension. It suffers from a couple of too-convenient sudden clues, but overall the characters are compelling and its very well acted.
From a different point of view, I disliked the rape scenes. They were brutal, sure, but also somewhat cliche. Rooney was pretty good, but I felt like a lot of what she said was cliche, even if I do think she inhabited the role well.
I haven't seen the Swedish version, but I can very much tell this is a Fincher film. Everything has an almost unnatural vibe to it.
Definitely a "yes" for renting in the future, but the opening credits were AMAZING in the theater.
The reason I didn't like the Swedish version was mainly because of how the director handled the rape sequences. It just felt very...like what a man's perspective of a woman's rape would be like...it felt off. Fincher was much more delicate and they were brutal and unsettling as they should be, considering the subject matter. Rooney was amazing, if she doesn't get the Golden Globe or at least an Oscar Nomination it'll be because she is still such a new actress, but this is definitely the breakout role of the year.

the main reason why I say this is not a renter is purely because of the sheer experience of watching this around other people. it is supposed to make you uncomfortable and what better way to do that than watch horrific rape amongst a crowd? it is kind of the point in the end.
Old 2011.12.28, 07:14 AM   #360
TurtleFu

I haven't seen the Swedish version, but I disliked the rape scenes because they still felt a little male-gaze-y, and I really hated the stupid cliche "shower after a rape" scene.