Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.12.31, 06:30 AM   #51
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

I didn't go. Turned out it was impossible to get tickets last minute :-(//

And, happy new year. Japan arrived in 2010 half an hour ago. Still can't digest the fact that there's no fireworks here (nor champagne, nor parties, despite this being the biggest event of the year)
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.31, 08:04 AM   #52
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Mr Sands View Post
Dunno why people are moaning about OSCA being played, think it's a great song personally. Hope the play it when I go see them next year.
I think OSCA is one of Ringo's best songs.. I'm just not a big fan of the live performances of it. Since they've already done it a couple times recently, it'd be nice if they took a break from it (and several other songs) to perform something unexpected, like a cover.

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
isn't 12/31/2010 the last day of the decade???
Probably :p
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.31, 09:10 AM   #53
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

As one of the loopy Variety fans, even I'd like to see some more variety/less Variety in their setlists.

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
isn't 12/31/2010 the last day of the decade???
No. 2000-2009 is one decade. 12/31/2009 is the last day of the decade.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.31, 09:46 AM   #54
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I liked OSCA at first but it doesn't have lasting appeal (For my ears). It was great in Spa and Treatment along with Kabuki, Fukushuu and Sake to Geko in Spa and Treatment though.

If you manage to stick around that long () expect to hear it it for ages considering OSCA and Killer Tune mark the beginning of The Phase 2 Sound. (They seem to regret how Adult turned out judging from that interview I read. Ha) Senkou Shoujo is on SPORTS too, so...

Ariamaru Tomi's supposed to be a good performance, so I hope we get a clip of that before Countdown gets aired a million years from now -________________________________________-
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.31, 10:53 AM   #55
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Glath, I get what your saying, but it's still shit to me. Many independent and small artists specifically leak their work to the internet to garner attention and fans, but also hoping that said fans will end up deciding to support them. if you follow an artist and you frequent a fan forum and consistently bitch and moan about releases you pirate, IMO I think that makes your opinion worthless. why? because you wouldn't support the artist anyway, if they released some awesome work chances are it wouldn't stop you from downloading it for free. So amazing or terrible, its the same end result, you just take take take. At some point there should be a give. Artists are that, artists, and they take risks and fail at times. Garnering attention and new fans through downloading is a fact of the modern age, but most artists don't pursue legal action because they hope the fans will decide to support them. From what I know of TJ, he won't. He liked AT but disliked SG, but he most likely stole both of them, as did probably about 90% of this forum. Pirating music online is pretty much the same as walking into a store a taking a cd off the shelf, turning around, and leaving. The reason why it is allowed to go on is because they hope if you like what you hear you will come back for more, and maybe pay that time, not return to bag the entire collection. If you download to download, with no intention of paying for it at some point, that is an abuse of the system. And as for your huge collection Glath, I don't think having a million copies of one album or 1 copy of one album makes a difference, simply said, if you like something, you should make an effort to support it. It isn't a penis contest in who spends the most on Ringo, its simply about who abuses the trust and who makes an effort. I can live with the people who downloaded it because they couldn't afford to import it, but I get the strange impression that even if TJ was rolling in cash he probably wouldn't do it. And those same members, the ones that like what they download, maybe they can't directly support Ringo, but they can come to the forum and contribute to positive and constructive discussion about the artist and by enlarging the community and making it a pleasant place to be, it encourages MORE people who don't know Ringo who find the forum to start following her. And based on some comments I've read from new members, it seems like if they had access to a physical store selling Ringo's work, they would support her. I am going out on a limb here, but part of me feels like Jihad hasn't created many new readers of this forums. His posts are frequently off topic and incendiary and the main critique of our usebase on other sites is that we are prententious, stuck up, and negative. hmmmm, I wonder why we end up with so many lurkers and few new members/returning faces...

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.12.31 at 10:59 AM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.31, 11:21 AM   #56
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Mr Sands View Post
Dunno why people are moaning about OSCA being played, think it's a great song personally. Hope the play it when I go see them next year.
I never liked OSCA. I always saw it as the weakest pop-rock track she's recorded. Weak melody, poor vocals, and the longest/most boring intro ever kill it for me before it really gets going in the end. The problem some other people have with it is that it's been played at every show since it's been made. Some got sick of seeing it like MaruSadi. It sucks seeing the same retreads every show when there's better stuff they can be playing.
Old 2009.12.31, 11:42 AM   #57
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

Forgive me for going off the rails a bit.

I've never purchased (nor stolen) Miley Cyrus music, but I have formed a negative opinion of it. Where does that fit in, ethically?

Western record companies regularly give out free releases to "legitimate critics" in the press, hoping for exposure. There's always the risk that a published critic will give a negative review. The opinions of professional critics are no more or less valid simply because they didn't pay for their records.

Nearest that I can tell, Japanese music isn't subject to legitimate criticism in its own market, or negative criticism is so discouraged in the commercial culture that it just doesn't happen, and the effect is that of an pervasive producer-to-consumer good ol' boy network ("All the product is good. Buy it!"). Oricon #1 = Good Music!

I've always found negative criticism of music, lit, or film, to be the most rewarding and insightful. It challenges me to A) concede the points, B ) defend against them, and C) figure out the individual critics' stances for future reference.

For instance, I know, based on posts I've read, that Jihad is a big fan of The Beatles & Oasis, has a rock-ist stance in general, and sometimes has what appears to be a reactionary view toward SR's music. It's a helpful perspective, IMO, and if it discourages 1,000 internet yes-drones, that's good.

Japanese rock in the West is doomed to a very small cult of followers, and the zeal to spread the word tends to blind its adherents and push it into Oricon-yessing. That's bad.
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.31, 01:41 PM   #58
kuro_neko

this is getting ridiculous. critics and consumers are not the same in the slight. critics are being given music, usually temporary, to weigh the positives and negative aspects of a release, provide criticism, and help inform the general public and respective target audiences about a certain release. said individuals are supposedly in positions both intellectually and influence-wise to do just that, but as we know this isn't always the case. people who download music illegally, I'm not talking about streaming, I'm not talking about promotional downloads, viral campaigns, anything officially supported by an artist, but strictly stealing copyright music is, at the end of the day, illegal and wrong IMO. I don't care if you are poor student or a critic. Miley Cyrus is a poor example because a good portion of the users here are American and thus exposed to her music through the media as a whole. So you can clearly make up your mind without ever hearing a record of hers. We can argue this point til our fingers fall off but I am of the opinion that if you steal, I don't care what you have to say about shit. It isn't because suddenly everything you said isn't valid, its more about a moral issue. Further, this isn't a critique or review of a work, this is a constant present pessimism and negativity that precedes all work far before release and through. So you don't like, don't buy it, move on. But I don't really care what you have to say about it because well, you never paid for it, so what are you bitching about? delete it. Jihad's opinion is valuable, but its a rare day when he will sit down and intelligently write it out and not just pass off some nu-ringo sucks MM RULZ comment on a board for a new release.
Old 2009.12.31, 02:34 PM   #59
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Probably fanning the flames, but here. It's simple:

Kuro: I agree that people should support artists should they enjoy any of their works. But opinions are all valid whether bought or not. I think that's part of consumerism.

Jihad: Quit trolling. It's one thing to say your opinions; it's another to say snide comments intended to provoke reactions. It doesn't add to the conversation, and just makes people have to sift through more BS.
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.31, 03:05 PM   #60
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by imkookoo View Post
Probably fanning the flames, but here. It's simple:

Kuro: I agree that people should support artists should they enjoy any of their works. But opinions are all valid whether bought or not. I think that's part of consumerism.

Jihad: Quit trolling. It's one thing to say your opinions; it's another to say snide comments intended to provoke reactions. It doesn't add to the conversation, and just makes people have to sift through more BS.
word.