Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.11.25, 08:46 PM   #11
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

^At the time the only Jihen release I had was the Taiwan release of Daihakken (the bastard child of my collection), so I jumped on the Amazon price.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.27, 12:08 AM   #12
Parsec

Parsec is headed in the right direction

I only got into Shiina Ringo 1 year ago so I don't have that much stuff compared to some of you, but I was pretty happy today to find a like new copy of the Ringo File in Disk Union for just 514¥!
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.27, 05:37 PM   #13
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Some LP talk time:

I found it interesting trying to get a second set of LPs together for a friend for reasonable price, and how much individual items have fluctuated this year.

Cheapest is now KZK, most expensive are MM and SS (if we're not including Sweetz for my Spitz that only Glath has) which both on average demand 10,000 yen or more. Mayonaka still grows on trees and you can get it easily on Amazon Marketplace for less than 3000.

Still haven't found him a reasonably priced HF yet (if anyone has one they are willing to sell for something not EXTREMELY overpriced, let me know, it's the last thing he needs for the main releases). Saturday Night Gossip was a bitch to get under 10,000 yen... why, who knows.

Jihen ones: All are pretty expensive still, but Adult Video Sountrack seems to be the cheapest to find (if 6,000 yen+ is cheap to you). I paid more when I first had to track it down though. Kyouiku era analog (I can't be stuffed writing the whole name) is still pretty expensive if you want it sealed. Variety is midrange, but 'unused'- and there is no REAL way to tell because it is in a resealable package- you can pick up for about 7,000ish. And it's still better than the actual album it represents.

WHERE IS THE LINE is one of the hardest things to hunt down, but not too expensive. It's probably cause noone has or wants it :-p

Also had trouble getting 2 copies of LUCKY at once, had to make another account and use a different card to do it. But oh well. It's done now.

Joyous- is still in print and a pretty nice pickup while it's there.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.27 at 05:53 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.27, 06:05 PM   #14
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Kinda weird, but after all these years the item I'm most fond of in my small collection is Adult [Pour Homme] - it's approaching nine years and it still has that really nice scent. I dare not open it too often (maybe once a year or less), though I often wonder if anything similar-smelling is/was ever on sale.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
-Finding the first press of SS in mint sealed condition for less than 500 yen.
Damn, that's half as much as I paid for it and I'm assuming you actually kept yours sealed too. Very nice.

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Regrets:

I don't own any Ringo blu-ray cos I don't own a blu-ray player.

Assassin's Assassin's poster looks really bad on the wall cos it was folded, I tore it down after one day, then in the same year they released Ukina which makes the single almost useless.
I don't own one either, but that didn't stop me from getting Toutaikai (and to a lesser extent Chin Play Kou Play) knowing I'd enjoy it one day. Unfortunately, that didn't stop me from getting the first press of Bon Voyage either, and that dud is going to stay sealed until the end of time.

The folding can be mitigated with some careful ironing and weighted pressing. It still really needs some natural(-looking) wear to help take away from all that black space though, especially when put next to the more vibrant Reimport poster.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.27, 06:15 PM   #15
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ yes, its one of the only things I have doubles of/have kept sealed (I'm not one to keep stuff sealed most of the time). My other copy (which I got on ebay) is a second hand first press too but it's missing the OBI. Other than that it's mint.

Speaking of sealed, I never actually opened Assassin's Assassin- I look inside the sleeve and the idea of attempting refolding that poster to fit back in seriously scares me :-p

I have a few SR/TJ posters but the only one I have up is the SG one right now. An Oomori poster has taken the Sports spot, still not sure where to put the Reimport one.

You know what's sad about owning them Blu Rays without a Blu Ray player? A basic meet-your-needs Blu Ray player woulda probably cost less than Bon Voyage cost you with postage added :-p

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.27 at 06:20 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.28, 02:46 PM   #16
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Framed like that, Bon Voyage is like salty lemon vodka on a paper cut.

But nah, I'm just researching how to setup a good dedicated media center. Not sure if I should just build a dedicated computer to hook up to my television or something.

These stories/memories are pretty inspiring to someone who eventually wants to give the dedicated collecting thing a shot. Sounds like your satisfaction and lucky breaks have eventually outweighed the massive budget and occasional pitfall.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.28, 03:59 PM   #17
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I kind of regret owning Electric Mole with its shitty editing job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg human_centipede_diagram.jpg (39.8 KB, 42 views)
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.28, 04:17 PM   #18
mrnarse

Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Framed like that, Bon Voyage is like salty lemon vodka on a paper cut.

But nah, I'm just researching how to setup a good dedicated media center. Not sure if I should just build a dedicated computer to hook up to my television or something.

These stories/memories are pretty inspiring to someone who eventually wants to give the dedicated collecting thing a shot. Sounds like your satisfaction and lucky breaks have eventually outweighed the massive budget and occasional pitfall.
What sucks about blu-rays on a PC is the ridiculous prices of Blu-ray software. In order to properly play them on a PC, you must own software that has all the proper licenses. That ends up making the price of the software cost 2x-3x more than buying a budget standalone player.

You could also get blu-ray software bundled with a PC or hardware purchase, but even then your software will eventually be "out of date". Then the shitty software (I'm looking at you, PowerDVD) will urge you to buy the newest version of their software for $100 USD because the software won't let you play any newer blu-rays.

Happened to me with the Blu-ray included with SUNNY. Plays in dedicated players, but won't play on my older software unless I fork up the $$$.
Old 2014.11.28, 04:39 PM   #19
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

OH and I forgot!

I made a cell phone contract at a department store, so I got 5000 yen off coupon.

I ran around the store trying to figure out what to buy. I would have been a good idea for me to get an external battery for my electronics instead, but I bought the 15th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray!!!

EDIT:
Really? I use VLC to play Blu-rays instead of the Blu-ray software that my laptop came with...
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.28, 05:38 PM   #20
mrnarse

^I've found Blu-ray playback in VLC and other free media players to be extremely buggy at best, and that's for older discs. Anything newer and there's not even a chance. Most of my Blu-rays now only play in WinDVD if I have AnyDVD running to strip it of copy protection and other things. The SUNNY Blu doesn't even play at all even with that.

But I see theres some database files you can download to get Blu-rays working, so I'll try that.