Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do You Like ADULT?
Oh yeah, definitely 45 72.58%
Not really / Not at all 2 3.23%
I like it, but it's not the greatest 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.06.03, 08:52 AM   #21
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

I chose #1. I really, really like Adult - even though I don't keep it as close to my heart as SS or KSK what kind of measuring is that? I mean, Ringo's third greatest album (whichever that is) would still be a gazillion times better than most other albums released.
Linnéa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.03, 09:28 AM   #22
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
What kind of music have you heard before that led you to not be surprised by ADULT? Please tell me because I'd love to hear more like it.
Simply listening to Shiina Ringo before this album would leave you unsurprised? She's done songs in similar styles to many of the songs on Adult:

Tasogare Naki = BX Kuki
Toumei Ningen = Bokoku Joushou
Blackout = Sounan
Kenka Joutou = Dynamite/Tramp
Yukiguni = KSK leftover
Superstar = Superstar

Old 2007.06.03, 10:08 AM   #23
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Simply listening to Shiina Ringo before this album would leave you unsurprised?
I love you Maou. I couldn't have said it any better.

Hedo: You're probably too infatuated with Adult to really hear the album properly.
Old 2007.06.03, 10:16 AM   #24
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Tasogare Naki = BX Kuki
Are the styles really that similar? Tasogare Naki is so... beautiful.

Kenka Joutou = Dynamite/Tramp
I can't explain music, but these songs are completely different.. (Dynamite and Tramp being the two more similar ones)

Yukiguni = KSK leftover
Not enough instruments to be a KSK leftover! I guess I'll go with that as its defense. (just for the record, less instruments does not equal worse in my opinion)

But chyeah, of course after a while some songs will start to use similar styles as others. It's like comparing Identity and So Cold, or Odaiji ni and Onaji Yoru. All of the songs on anything by any artist can pretty much be compared to something, but that doesn't necessarily make it a rehash of old stuff (not that you used those exact words :-B ).

Shiina Ringo found new ways to make her music exciting once again, and you can see the great variety of styles she's used within this one album alone. I admit, I didn't like Blackout much at first because I thought it sounded like a combination of a few songs on Kyouiku (not just Sounan), but after listening to it more I find it hard to compare it too much to anything from Kyouiku (including Sounan), though some similarities obviously exist.

I'm rambling, and I think I lost focus on what I started out trying to say when I started to talk about Blackout, so here's the end.

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2007.06.03 at 10:24 AM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.03, 10:22 AM   #25
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I love you Maou. I couldn't have said it any better.

Hedo: You're probably too infatuated with Adult to really hear the album properly.

I don't want to speak for Hedo (though he might concur), but I didn't like Adult much at first. It seemed weaker than Kyouiku, though I wasn't a big fan of that either compared to her solo stuff.
However, as I listened to it more, it grew on me. It's not an album you can be in love with from the start (now I'm speaking for other people ), but I've found that it gets better each time you (I) listen to it. I'm not going to claim that you haven't listened to it enough riiingo, because that would unfair.. but in case you haven't, I think it would be worth it to give it another chance.

Or maybe you just prefer her other styles.. that's a possibility too.

edit: sorry for the double post, but if I combine the two it'll be too long for anyone to want to read
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.03, 10:41 AM   #26
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I picked the first option. It isn't my favourite album, but I certainly don't dislike it more than most of her other albums.
Old 2007.06.03, 11:26 AM   #27
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
How could I not have heard it properly? You said it lacked surprise so the surprise can only come when you first hear it therefore if I was not "surprised" when I first heard it then how could I haven become infatuated with it in the first place? I was uncertain about this album before I heard it because I had read that it was more laid back than kyouiku (which I really liked) but when I heard it I fell in love right away. If anything, I do not like criticism towards the album because I am infatuated with it, but that is only because I think it is a great album. I was not infatuated with the album before I even heard it so this bias that I have towards it now was not there when before I even heard it.

I think if you do not like it its because it is not the kind of music you like but it is far from being bad and I think surprise has nothing to do with why you do not like the album. I was surprised that they were able to make music in a completely different style than their last album, but if I had heard it first than kyouiku I still would have liked it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.03, 02:32 PM   #28
redstuff

redstuff pleased at least somebody

better than KSK, even. I'm sure I'm in the minority on that, though.
redstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.03, 04:25 PM   #29
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I've been listening to alot of new music recently and had not heard this album for a while and I heard it again today because of this thread and I really really love it. I can see how some people would not like it if they liked other genres instead, but I don't see how other Ringo fans could not like it. It's similar enough to her other music but different at the same time. I can see how you could like Kyouiku more than this album or her other music, but II find it hard to understand how one could say its bad?
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.03, 07:14 PM   #30
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

if your point of this thread is to single me out fluffie, then you've certainly succeeded.