Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.20, 01:46 AM   #1
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction
Default Is Shiina Ringo a gay icon??

she's fierce and different, some of my gay friends are her fans including me what's u guys opinion? i would categorized her in the same level as bjork which has a large gay fan base cuz their music looks and attitude and they r Fabulous!!!!
letemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 02:14 AM   #2
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

There was a thread about this already, but I can't find it.
I don't know if she's "officially" considered a gay icon as is Madonna or Tori Amos, because she hasn't even mentioned homosexuality in her songs (except "Honnou") or supported a gay cause, but I put her in the same level. It's one of those artists like The Smiths, Cocteau Twins, of Montreal and Zero 7, that aren't "gay icons" but if a person listens to more than three of those then that person's bound to be gay.

Retro-Edit: I know you are right Glath, but well, that is the EMF way lol.

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.04.20 at 02:44 AM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 02:20 AM   #3
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
There was a thread about this already, but I can't find it.
Sorta kinda. Among the many directions that discussion went off into, one of those directions was basically the start of this thread. And then THIS thread will go off into many directions and they will be SO off-topic and end up being exactly what the other thread was intended to be.

You know I'm right.
Old 2009.04.20, 02:21 AM   #4
miffunevii

miffunevii has had more than 15 seconds of fame

After the video of Honnou it is normal that it is an icon gay, I I see when it wakes up my heterosexual side but
and to whom no?
miffunevii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 02:42 AM   #5
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

early in her career, I'd say no. simply because she was so hardcore. more recently, such as HF, I'd say HECK YES, I mean, those wigs, those clothes, I mean sometimes I even thought Ringo was a man in drag performance (she can sound like it sometimes).
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 03:03 AM   #6
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

female gay icons, are usually female artists who are extremely talented and has a big personality.

like utada... she's a gay icon and. imo so is shiina ringo.
alleon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 03:11 AM   #7
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
early in her career, I'd say no. simply because she was so hardcore. more recently, such as HF, I'd say HECK YES, I mean, those wigs, those clothes, I mean sometimes I even thought Ringo was a man in drag performance (she can sound like it sometimes).
lol totally! the wigs the wigs, they looks great on her!
well i hope she's not becoming japanese cher in her 50's
letemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 03:24 AM   #8
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I don't know if she's "officially" considered a gay icon
It's one of those artists like The Smiths, Cocteau Twins, of Montreal and Zero 7, that aren't "gay icons" but if a person listens to more than three of those then that person's bound to be gay.
Does that mean if I listen to more of them, I'm breaching the heterosexual quota?

I remember a friend of mine googling around for one of the artists I was listening to in the 90s (Jim Brickman), and he was like "I found at least one openly gay person talking about enjoying that music. You're gay!". I suppose if you can't find gay people who enjoy monster truck rallies, then you or my offline friend might be onto something.
Old 2009.04.20, 03:35 AM   #9
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

oh so you really ARE Ringo's son!

All you have to do is watch EXPO to realize that nu shiina has what it takes to be a gay icon but I don't think she is one. She's not famous enough outside Japan to be an icon of any sort so unless she has a gay following *in Japan*, she's not a gay icon.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.20, 03:54 AM   #10
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Does that mean if I listen to more of them, I'm breaching the heterosexual quota?

I remember a friend of mine googling around for one of the artists I was listening to in the 90s (Jim Brickman), and he was like "I found at least one openly gay person talking about enjoying that music. You're gay!". I suppose if you can't find gay people who enjoy monster truck rallies, then you or my offline friend might be onto something.
I don't think it's possible to label one person potentially gay just because he listens to one of those artists (I don't know who Jim Brickman is, btw). Lots of people listen to The Smiths and that doesn't imply anyone's gay. But as far as my experience tells me, mostly through last.fm analysis, is that gay guys tend to share some artists/bands as their favourites. Some of those are the ones I mentioned, but there's a lot more. I've tested this theory countless times before.
And I'm not talking about guys whose top artists are Britney Spears, Aguillera, Madonna, Girls Aloud, Ayumi Hamasaki and Kumi Koda, because that's painfully obvious.

Dunno about monster truck rallies. I know I don't enjoy those things, but if there are gay guys who enjoy soccer and wrestling, there's definitely gonna be someone who enjoys that kind of thing.
I think music is much more obvious to use as a gaydar thing, because all gay men are more attracted to artistic expression and soul-searching things than others, and music's all about that. No wonder most gay icons are female singers or broadway performers, right?

And talking about broadway... nu-Ringo =)
There, I made it back to topic!
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote