Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2010.01.23, 07:43 PM   #311
monad

monad is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
HF is am immensely satisfying album.
(dead horse beating)
Other than a couple of songs that had a better version in the same style on whatever that concert DVD is, all in all it was one of my favorite albums of the 2000s. Ringo admittedly phones in some of her performances, and she's really not all that great of a jazz singer, but Saito Neko's arrangements are fantastically enjoyable. I really don't get the scorn & hate for it, short of not having any interest in orchestrated big-band jazz in general.

Speaking of Saito Neko, is it worth trying to track down Killing Time albums? How does that band compare in style to his collabs with SR? And, uh, probably violating rules here, but is there anywhere to listen to them before I shell out $100 on an out of print Japanese import?
Old 2010.01.23, 10:41 PM   #312
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

I don't see why there is so much dislike for HF. Soe really nice versions of her back catalogue on there.
Old 2010.01.24, 04:15 AM   #313
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think I'd have been disappointed if I was around when HF was released. It's hard to hate it, though, and the instrumental version kind of makes up for the indifference I feel towards the original. I just feel that the KZK-remakes kind of dilute the album.

Yokushitsu and Hatsukoi Shoujo are my personal highlights. That Yokushitsu HF instrumental is electrifying.

I don't know about Killing Time, but from the youtube links people have posted, I think I enjoy his non-SR work more than his SR work.
Old 2010.01.24, 08:45 AM   #314
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

I remember being seriously disappointed when HF leaked. "Gamble" blew me away, but I felt most of the other tracks could have been cut to make it a solid EP. But I suppose you get more money and hype from announcing "Shiina's Ringo's first album in four years!" I forget, was it actually announced like that, or was it just announced as a collaboration album or soundtrack?
Old 2010.01.24, 09:04 AM   #315
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

HF is am immensely satisfying album.
^ ughhhh save the worship for the HF thread. lets talk about SPORTS.
Fixed your quote for you.

Sports will be at least as good as Adult, but will likely fall well short of Kyouiku.
Old 2010.01.24, 09:17 AM   #316
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

If you hate HF, don't blame Saito Neko, blame Mika Ninagawa! We would have gotten a Tamatebako (Created in the same period as Adult/HF IIRC) album if she didn't reject Ringo's original instrumental album for Sakuran!

I can bet loads of dollar that Shiina Ringo will compose an OST for a movie soon, though. It's inevitable. And the movie will star

Then again she's best buddies with Matsumoto Jun

Old 2010.01.24, 11:54 AM   #317
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I can bet loads of dollar that Shiina Ringo will compose an OST for a movie soon, though. It's inevitable. And the movie will star

I somehow don't think so. Sakuran was done as a favor for her friend, and I don't think the original work she composed was Tametebako type material, I think it was actual movie OST type music, but the director confessed wanting Ringo's solo work as the movie's OST, hence why she asked. either way, check, been there, done that, Ringo isn't one for repeating herself, I don't think we will see her return to scoring for quite some time, if at all.
Old 2010.01.24, 12:09 PM   #318
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

I think she said, during an interview, that she would make more OSTs in the future, that she enjoyed a lot making the Sakuran one. I'll find the interview (I think it was papilionidae who translated it... anyone remember?).
Old 2010.01.24, 12:33 PM   #319
Scribble R

She said that she already had ideas for the soundtrack because she had read the book before she was approached by Ms.Ninagawa . Because Sakuran deals with historical japanese motifs/themes and stuff, and Ringo has flirted with those in the past, I bet whatever Ringo was cooking up would have been very interesting indeed. Was there anything classically Japanese about Tamatebako? I haven't heard it in a while...

And Orenji, it was the quick-fire Sanmon Gossip interview, that I do think papilionidae translated:

Question #5
Q: You've recently worked as a Music Director on the movie "Sakuran", which granted a Japanese Academy Music Award and Excellence Award. Do you plan to work as a Music Director again?
A: Yes, I'll do it.
I wouldn't take this as confirmation though

(Still, there's no proof that Ringo would decline to do an OST on the basis that she's already done it once.)
Old 2010.01.24, 01:32 PM   #320
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

^ Tamatebako was SR's most authentic Japanese song, if you ask me. It was written in a Japanese musical scale with traditional instruments and imagery in its lyrics. The way the song echoed the moral of "Sannin Kichisa" and how it relevant it is in modern culture just blows my mind. I think it's one of the best songs of SR's in years, even if it takes a little while to grow on you.
Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
If you hate HF, don't blame Saito Neko, blame Mika Ninagawa! We would have gotten a Tamatebako (Created in the same period as Adult/HF IIRC) album if she didn't reject Ringo's original instrumental album for Sakuran!
I wish this were true. But how do we know if the original instrumental album wasn't just like HF? Hell, for all we know, she could have just written lyrics to it and released it as Sanmon Gossip.