Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.05.18, 05:43 PM   #1
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal
Default Which live version of each track is the best?

I love live recordings of songs. Sometimes they overshadow the studio version. For example, I literally cannot listen to studio Kyouiku, I only listen to the Dynamite rips.

Shiina has performed a lot of her songs in very different ways. So which live version of each individual songs is the best?

For example:
I love Baishou Extasy Poltergeist. Poltergeist, at its heart, is a waltz, and the waltz arrangement given to it by Saitou made it very classical. The whole thing fit together very well. I don't think Poltergeist is a rock song, so the Suguroku version seemed odd to me.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.18, 05:52 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Anytime a track made its debut as a concert performance, it's arguably always been better than the studio track which followed. This has been true for Superstar, Toumei Ningen, possibly Himitsu (if it's not better then it's equal), and Yokyou.
Old 2011.05.18, 06:05 PM   #3
jackmanca

jackmanca is headed in the right direction

I love the Baishou version of Okonomide. (the Eletric Mole it's awesome too, but it has that cut thing going, so I chose Baishou version)

And Tegami in Just can't help it always brings tears to my eyes. Oh, another one that makes me cry: Ekimae in Dynamite Out. My Luxury Night I don't know if can be in this list, 'cause it only has the Zazen version, but it makes me cry too. Oh, and Keikoku in Gekokujō.
Old 2011.05.18, 06:08 PM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by jackmanca View Post
I love the Baishou version of Okonomide. (the Eletric Mole it's awesome too, but it has that cut thing going, so I chose Baishou version)
I don't know if this is only true about the limited edition, but in the DVD menu there's actually an option to play through that whole song without any interruption.
Old 2011.05.18, 06:12 PM   #5
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I love Baishou Extasy Poltergeist. Poltergeist, at its heart, is a waltz, and the waltz arrangement given to it by Saitou made it very classical. The whole thing fit together very well. I don't think Poltergeist is a rock song, so the Suguroku version seemed odd to me.
The Electric Mole version of Poltergeist was pure jazz. It and Mr. Wonderful were the most jazz any version of Tokyo Jihen has ever been so I have no idea where this "rock" stuff is coming from.

I like the Zazen version and the Phase 1 surf version of Tsumiki Asobi way better than the original. Much more character than the original which is one of my least favorite tracks on the album.
Old 2011.05.18, 06:47 PM   #6
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

The DO version of Dynamite is one single sexist performance I've ever seen, she was perfect in every move and gesture and teeny dancing step. Omatsuri Sawagi in Ringo Expo was as great in my opinion, there was the right energy and the atmosphere that such an arena anthem should have.
vielleicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.18, 06:56 PM   #7
jackmanca

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I don't know if this is only true about the limited edition, but in the DVD menu there's actually an option to play through that whole song without any interruption.
I'll try finding it in the menu then. Didn't know that, thanks!
(now this will be my biggest "discovery" cause I don't understand a thing of Kanji )

Originally Posted by vielleicht View Post
Omatsuri Sawagi in Ringo Expo was as great in my opinion, there was the right energy and the atmosphere that such an arena anthem should have.
Well remembered. I love that percussion!
Old 2011.05.18, 07:01 PM   #8
Glathannus
True Final Boss

The option is here:
Name:  vlcsnap-2011-05-18-19h59m43s34.png
Views: 86
Size:  318.9 KB
Old 2011.05.18, 07:05 PM   #9
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I don't always watch Baishou Extasy, but when I do, I prefer to skip straight to Okonomide.
Old 2011.05.18, 07:19 PM   #10
jackmanca

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
The option is here:
Attachment 5033
That makes sense. next time I watch it (probably later), I'll see the non cutted version!
thanks!!!

Oh, and Stem in Baishou is beautiful too

Last edited by jackmanca : 2011.05.18 at 07:34 PM. Reason: forgot Stem (how could I?)
jackmanca is offline   Reply With Quote