Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2011.06.27, 10:07 AM   #21
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Exactly!

Like, she's a CLASSY lady. Don't treat her the wrong way!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.27, 06:36 PM   #22
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

YES. THAT IS ANOTHER WAY OF PUTTING IT!
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 01:09 AM   #23
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

And here I was thinking this thread would be about Ukigumo finding a magic lamp and getting a Ringo genie! Then wacky hijinks ensue!

Uki: I wish I could be in a more successful band than Petrolz!
Ringo: Granted!
*Ukigumo joins Tokyo Jihen in September of 2005*
Uki: Hmm... Now I wish I could start writing actual songs for Tokyo Jihen!
*Nearly two years later, Variety is released*
Ringo: Somebody save me!

------------------------------------------------------

But in all seriousness, the last Ringo related dream I had was her much older playing "Sweet Spot" in a coffee shop late at night. She was all alone and there was no backing band. Just her and an acoustic guitar. People were mostly ignoring her and they eventually closed shop. I remember staying when everyone was leaving and watching her play. It was like I was getting my own private concert. It was nice to see her "in person" but also a little bit sad because she was very clearly past her prime. Tokyo Jihen was long gone and I'm sure she didn't have a solo career anymore. Her older years were just like her much younger ones - playing small gigs and venues just to get by. I don't remember saying good-bye or even having her acknowledge me. The dream just kind of faded away much like she did on the train that never got to its destination in Rakujitsu.

I suppose the thought that spawned this dream in the first place were the lyrics to the Expo version of Marunouchi Sadistic.

"
I’m looking for a good way to fly
I’m searching for a way you can’t buy"

She's looking for something else. That much is certain. When you think about a good way to fly, you naturally think about how people don't fly. It's not in our nature. Sure, we have helicopters, hang gliders, and airplanes but that's because we created them. We aren't naturally meant to fly. So when she says she's looking for a good way to fly and something money can't buy, it would seem that she's naturally thinking about death - when your soul goes beyond. There's no other natural way for people to fly.

"You know I know a kickin’ way to die
It’s rock and roll, martyrs keep the fans high"

Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Bon Scott, Freddie Mercury, and the list goes on and on. All of these people are casualties of rock music, however they may have died. Some died of overdose, some died of disease, some committed suicide, and one in particular was killed. But one thing they all have in common was that they became immortal once they had died. They were forever young, no longer victims to time. The last we will ever see of them was when they were in their prime and they will forever be in their prime. See where I'm going with this?

"Still floating, as time rolls by"

Whatever the future may hold, Ringo intends to be there to see it. She's gotten older now, especially by Japanese starlet standards. She's gone through a marriage and divorce, had a child, and even gone on to face harsh backlash against her music. Like it or not, she is getting older with time and she isn't immortalized through death. She has to keep working to get her fame because if she didn't, she would fade away just like other forgotten artists in the music industry. If Ringo had died right after she released KSK, she very well could be known as a young prodigy and music legend. But she didn't. She's still going. She's still on that train that hasn't reached its destination yet. She's still on this planet to endure joy, hardships, and whatever else is thrown her way. Ringo's not going anywhere.

Anyway, just some random ramblings of mine. As usual, I typed more than I intended to.
Old 2011.06.28, 03:51 AM   #24
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

I think Ringo's going to be the cutest old lady that the world will have seen when she's 70...
vielleicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.06.28, 04:59 AM   #25
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by vielleicht View Post
I think Ringo's going to be the cutest old lady that the world will have seen when she's 70...
Not with a 70-year-old version of the nasal-shrill voice
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.04, 08:55 AM   #26
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Ringo dream last night, partially inspired by the book I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife (set in Chicago, about... a time traveler).

So in the dream, I was with my parents in Chicago and I at least was time traveling; we were in 1998. We were looking for cultural things to do and trying to attend this play; we go to the place where we think the play will be but it turns out to be a sort of classy Japanese culture fair type thing. And some j-pop/j-rock artists are there, sitting at tables signing autographs, and Ringo is one of them. I pretty much abandon my parents to turn into a huge fangirl. I spend forever looking for a piece of paper for her to sign but in the end she pulls out a booklet the fair has given her. She looks as she did around that era, not like she does now, and her attitude is less polite-old-lady like now. This is before she becomes super famous, which is why she's doing little events like this. I'm grateful we're in 1998 because I know this could never happen in my present and I feel like I have an amazing opportunity here. So I approach her and I do speak Japanese to her; real words in real, cohesive sentences, not dreaming-fake-Japanese. I pretty much tell her I'm a big fan and I'm so happy to get to see her and meet her. We chat for a few minutes. She tells me even "Shiina" is a pen name, AKA not her real last name! (Thinking back on it, I'm not sure if she meant the kanji or the whole word.) Haha! She signs the booklet, I thank her, and walk away in a daze.

When I woke up I was sad that it wasn't real. A nice highlight to an otherwise hellish night...
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 11:12 AM   #27
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I wish I dream dreams like this too
I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife
this book is amazing! I read it last year, I cried so much in the end!!!!

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 09:56 PM   #28
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Awww, sorry Lena-chan, I ended up hating it. But I am glad to see you here!!!

I had another Ringo dream recently but I've forgotten it.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.14, 07:07 PM   #29
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Repost from random thread.

Oh man, I dreamt about Ringo last night. It started as I was watching domestique bon voyage live screening. When I noticed something wrong, I saw an fat Indian teenager (my brain registered him as indian but he took on the face of my malay friend who was also fat.) was uncomfortable. I thought there was a conspiracy behind this...

2nd part of the dream. My brain just flew into this. A secret was revealed! Ringo was not she actually is! Remember the fat indian teenager? He was the one behind Ringo's voice! BUT HE SOUNDED NOTHING LIKE RINGO. As he took on the face of my friend, in my dream he was registered as a close friend. So, I tried to confront him. I went up to him and asked, "So, what inspired you to sing as Ringo?" He avoided the question and proceeded to sit down on a bench with a table infront of it and started to draw. (This was at a canteen) I continued to persist. His friend (Another fat indian teenager) came up and said, "To understand why and how he did it, you must first understand the things he drew."

I looked at what he was drawing currently, I see a book next to him while he was drawing. The book was some epic warhammer comics that was very famous and popular. I was really puzzled... But then I was surprised to see his name on the book. He was the author! He was the author of the famous famous warhammer book and I didn't know about his fame even though I was his friend.

So I tried to make sense of everything around me. My brain just warped into light speed now. I came up with a conspiracy that my friend, the fat indian teenager, was trying to emulate one of the voices of the warhammer races using morphvox. Somehow, he accidentally discovered Ringo's voice(Not sure if it was a titled setting or he messed around with the controls). He submitted a copy to the big music companies and the companies loved it! Shiina Ringo was just a lip-singer that lip-synced in every concert.

Then I asked myself, "Something is definitely not right about this..."

Then I woke up and wrote this down.

I was definitely not under any drugs or alcohol.

This dream was extremely clear in my mind. I rarely dream but when I do, I feel like I can consciously manipulate my dreams. I did feel like that in this dream but everything was just so weird.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.14, 07:47 PM   #30
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

I dreamt of her singing in my pending wedding ceremony last night.
vielleicht is offline   Reply With Quote