Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.03.07, 05:38 PM   #121
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I disagree with the last part about Burton and TNBC. It is his story, but it isn't the story itself which elevates that film, its the strong aesthetic in both visual presentation and music, neither of which are due to Burton, its due to Selick's visual taste and Danny Elfman's score. If you disagree, just look at Selick's other work, such as James and the Giant Peach, Monkeybone, and then Coraline. They aren't as in your face as TNBC but they retain the trademark touches. Burton provided the story and created the characters, but in terms of set and total design elements, he didn't have any more influence thatn Selick himself had. So I think the whole Burton bit is a bunch of BS.
I never said that Henry Selick didn't have anything to do with TNBC. I just said that it is a very Burtonesque movie. (Note "can't completely discredit") More so than any of Henry Selick's other films. Burton was the producer and it was his original image and his original story.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.07, 09:12 PM   #122
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
I never said that Henry Selick didn't have anything to do with TNBC. I just said that it is a very Burtonesque movie. (Note "can't completely discredit") More so than any of Henry Selick's other films. Burton was the producer and it was his original image and his original story.
yeah I know what your saying, but I'm saying I don't agree that the final movie itself is Burtonesque, considering when you compare TNBC to the rest of Burton's films, and then compare it to the rest of Selick's, it almost seems like a happy fluke by Burton, and completely in line with the top-notch caliber of Selick's films. Burton was always his best with movies like Scissorhands and his complete failure to handle any current projects, especially stuff like Alice in Wonderland, really makes me reevaluate TNBC and think that Selick was a larger part of its success than anyone would initially think.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.07, 09:33 PM   #123
mizer_unmei

Have you seen Vincent? It's pretty much perfection, and a clear example of how Burton's vision is all over Nightmare Before Christmas and it mas made a good 10 years before it.

last.fm
Old 2010.03.07, 10:03 PM   #124
kuro_neko

Have you seen Vincent? It's pretty much perfection, and a clear example of how Burton's vision is all over Nightmare Before Christmas and it mas made a good 10 years before it.
yes, I have seen that, its also an extra on the TNBC dvd. Have you ever read the Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy and Other Tales? I know where your going with the Vincent thing, I've also seen/read almost everything both Burton and Selick have done, separately I mean, and when I look back at TNBC I don't necessarily see either one more than the other, their styles meld pretty well, hence why it worked so well, but I give the credit to Selick over Burton for taking a concept and story and creating a good movie. Good visuals do not always equal good movies. I sometimes think Burton might make a better script writer/producer/cinematographer over director.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.03.07 at 10:07 PM.
Old 2010.03.08, 12:08 AM   #125
mizer_unmei

Omgoodness, of coursee I've read Oyster Boy. What kind of Burton fan do you take me for? @.@ (<3) Have you seen Frankenweenie or the Faerie Tale Theatre episode of Aladdin? Both of those, Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands I was all over as a child before I even knew they were directed by the same person.

But, I don't really know what's going on in this conversation/demi-argument. You've acknowledged that it's a half-and-half contribution from Selick and Burton. That's all I said in my first statement, that it's a Burton film as well. Movies are collaborative works, I wouldn't say it's more so one person's film than the others, especially in the case of TNBC.

last.fm
Old 2010.03.11, 01:08 PM   #126
kuro_neko

Omgoodness, of coursee I've read Oyster Boy. What kind of Burton fan do you take me for? @.@ (<3) Have you seen Frankenweenie or the Faerie Tale Theatre episode of Aladdin? Both of those, Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands I was all over as a child before I even knew they were directed by the same person.

But, I don't really know what's going on in this conversation/demi-argument. You've acknowledged that it's a half-and-half contribution from Selick and Burton. That's all I said in my first statement, that it's a Burton film as well. Movies are collaborative works, I wouldn't say it's more so one person's film than the others, especially in the case of TNBC.
I think we are on the same page then. I just tend to prefer Selick's work and considering most people have no idea who he is and will tell you your wrong if you told them he directed TNBC, I'm more on his side in the whole TNBC debate. Likewise, you can look at Tim Burton's other stop-motion feature, Corpse Bride and well....'nuff said.
Old 2010.03.11, 01:31 PM   #127
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Last week I watched my probably sickest movie yet:

deadgirl

We were all speechless when watching it. Recommendation for anyone who wants to see a horror movie with a moral approach that hurts you in your stomach.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.11, 01:40 PM   #128
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Last week I watched my probably sickest movie yet:

deadgirl

We were all speechless when watching it. Recommendation for anyone who wants to see a horror movie with a moral approach that hurts you in your stomach.
ugh, that movie was so boring to watch and utterly non-shocking that I didn't even finish it. if you want something that actually has an emotional punch and isn't nearly as offensive in its stupidity and handles the subject matter of sexuality better, I'd recommend Antichrist by Lars von Trier.
Old 2010.03.12, 06:15 AM   #129
mizer_unmei

I just watched "John and Mary". I didn't even know about it before, but it's got 2 years post-Graduate Dustin Hoffman 1 year post-Rosemary's Baby Mia Farrow together -- and they're perfectly charming.
It reminded me a lottt of Brief Encounter. Except it's 60 NYC instead of 30s England, and the characters are complete topsy-turvy. But in any case it's a lovely movie and highly recommended.

last.fm
Old 2010.03.14, 04:03 PM   #130
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Finally saw El Topo on DVD. Some might find the trailer on YouTube disturbing.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote