Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.07.16, 01:11 PM   #51
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by digdad View Post

(Finally, am I the only one who gets confused with Hedo's and Orenji's avatars and signatures being so similar?)
YES. I was about to berate Hedo for presenting two completely different opinions before I realized that I was mixing his posts with Orenji.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.16, 01:12 PM   #52
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

(Finally, am I the only one who gets confused with Hedo's and Orenji's avatars and signatures being so similar?)
TOTALLY

Neko, what about that "suitcase" ver of Gibs?

As for the bored look: I didn't think it was nearly as bas as Spa&Treatment. There she looked absolutely miserable. DO she looked like she was having a good time the whole show, EM/GX being stoic was sorta her "thing" (at least during the "long hair" show of GX) She didn't look physically detatched like she did in S&T, she just looked "yeah, i rock, i dont give a shit" But here, playing with SAPS how else is she supposed to act? She can't get her groove on, can't rock out, just stand there and sing is all you can do.

\/ The further away she can get from jazz the better. I'm so fuckin tired of it \/

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.07.16 at 01:53 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.16, 01:29 PM   #53
digdad

digdad has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
But here, playing with SAPS how else is she supposed to act? She can't get her groove on, can't rock out, just stand there and sing is all you can do.
With these arrangements, yeah, she can't really get her groove on. It's a shame because SAPS is such a good jazz band that could be doing much groovier versions. That's what I would like to see Shiina doing with her jazz variations.

With a great example of the kind of thing I would LOVE to see SR doing, I'll again turn to Maki for inspiration:
P5 with Tokyo's Coolest Combo - Bond Street
Old 2008.07.16, 02:19 PM   #54
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

i don't care.. i'm sure she will surprise us sometime soon

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.16, 02:39 PM   #55
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

jihad: I actually like that version because it was stripped down almost entirely and at its heart it is a ballad. I also like the organ version of it on the fanclub live dvd...but this version of honnou is just so uninspired...I mean at least whens he was doing the suitcase vers of gibusu there was still clearly passion in her voice...it wasn't elevator music like this ;;shudder;;
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.16, 03:45 PM   #56
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Don't knock the leisure suit. Maki rocked it:
Name:  367823724_d3fdc2c666.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  100.0 KB
Maki rocked it all! She was THE woman .

[P5-fan mode OFF]
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.16, 05:28 PM   #57
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
Who the hell is judging her from one show? It's been like this for awhile, Hedo. There's no doubt that she is at a downpoint right now, you have to compare her current output to her career output, that's how you get the "downpoint" assessment.
But that's exactly why I'm not bothered by any of this. If she kept releasing jazzy covers of her own songs as singles, then it would be annoying. But aside from HF, there has been almost no output from her so I'm not casting any stones yet. I get why a lot of people would be angry about HF being mostly rearrangements and Variety featuring nothing from her, but I still don't see that as a reason to say she sucks now. For HF, it was said that we were being ripped off because we heard similar arrangements before. Ok. Then Variety, it was "why the hell did she let them write the album?!". None of those things show me anything that says that she's losing her writing talents. Then that kabuki song was awesome and then we get a shitty pop group one. At least the shitty pop group song was for a shitty pop group song and not something she released as solo or for the band. While I do get frustrated at the constant bashing on a fansite, I can't get angry because someone else doesn't like the same kinds of things I do. But then when people say she sucks now because of some jazz arrangements in live performances, it's just unjust. There is no way you can judge how good or not she is at writing just from making several jazz-styled live performances. Let the woman release something at least.

And, it's funny you mention that we had similar sigs and avatars since I'm working on a new one =).
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.16, 05:40 PM   #58
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
But that's exactly why I'm not bothered by any of this. If she kept releasing jazzy covers of her own songs as singles, then it would be annoying. But aside from HF, there has been almost no output from her so I'm not casting any stones yet. I get why a lot of people would be angry about HF being mostly rearrangements and Variety featuring nothing from her, but I still don't see that as a reason to say she sucks now. For HF, it was said that we were being ripped off because we heard similar arrangements before. Ok. Then Variety, it was "why the hell did she let them write the album?!". None of those things show me anything that says that she's losing her writing talents. Then that kabuki song was awesome and then we get a shitty pop group one. At least the shitty pop group song was for a shitty pop group song and not something she released as solo or for the band. While I do get frustrated at the constant bashing on a fansite, I can't get angry because someone else doesn't like the same kinds of things I do. But then when people say she sucks now because of some jazz arrangements in live performances, it's just unjust. There is no way you can judge how good or not she is at writing just from making several jazz-styled live performances. Let the woman release something at least.

And, it's funny you mention that we had similar sigs and avatars since I'm working on a new one =).
She's been doing the jazz thing for a while now. It's not about "letting" the woman release something, it's that she's had ample chance to release new and innovative stuff and she hasn't done it.

And "bashing" is a staple from fansites, we don't engage into mindless praise here. Critcism should be welcomed.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.16, 05:48 PM   #59
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I get why a lot of people would be angry about HF being mostly rearrangements and Variety featuring nothing from her, but I still don't see that as a reason to say she sucks now.
Well for one, she could have written stuff for Variety. Hey how about those alleged electronic songs that were supposedly scrapped from HF? She was supposed to do them with the band anyway...

For HF, it was said that we were being ripped off because we heard the same fucking arrangements before. Ok.
fixed

Then Variety, it was "why the hell did she let them write the album?!".None of those things show me anything that says that she's losing her writing talents.
However, could be proof she's lost her nerve (or mind.)

At least the shitty pop group song was for a shitty pop group song and not something she released as solo or for the band.
Okay, here's what I find the real kicker. This was not "a shitty pop group song" -- it was a "shitty Tokyo Jihen song" It didn't sound like a pop groups song, it sounded copy/pasted from the Jihen soundtrack. And whats more, until proven to be the best Jihen cover band in the world, Tokyo Jihen plays on the record itself. Just the "pop group" vocalist instead of Shiina. This wasn't even Shiina giving a pop song away, trying to write a pop song. The only thing keeping this from being a TJ song IS the singer.

But then when people say she sucks now because of some jazz arrangements in live performances, it's just unjust. There is no way you can judge how good or not she is at writing just from making several jazz-styled live performances. Let the woman release something at least.
years worth of jazz-arrangements. We get the fucking picture. If she's not going to rock anymore, at least move on.

And really no one said "Shiina's song writing sucks" were saying shes screwing the pooch on what could have been her legacy (ok, I am saying that. Everyone else says she's just sucking in general.)
HF was time-constricted and hampered by a milieu of setbacks. I get it. But Variety is just unfathomable. Now everyone's got their hopes set back up with RSR solo/Hatsuden/Mellow/Zazen....and then we get this very ominous performance in leading into RSR. There's every bit of ground to be weary and to think this is what she's bringing to the stage to promote an album full of songs that ARE NOTHING LIKE THIS. It seems illogical to think she'd do it, but Stem and the first KZK tour were also illogical to promote KZK.
Old 2008.07.16, 06:01 PM   #60
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
She's been doing the jazz thing for a while now. It's not about "letting" the woman release something, it's that she's had ample chance to release new and innovative stuff and she hasn't done it.
What is this "ample chance"? Everyone has time to do whatever the hell they want. Jihad made a good point that she could have used the electronics on Variety, but I'd say that was another idea for another album so it wouldn't make sense to just throw her stuff in with the bands different concept. If she releases something that is not new and innovative then critique all you want.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
And really no one said "Shiina's song writing sucks" were saying shes screwing the pooch on what could have been her legacy (ok, I am saying that. Everyone else says she's just sucking in general.)
HF was time-constricted and hampered by a milieu of setbacks. I get it. But Variety is just unfathomable. Now everyone's got their hopes set back up with RSR solo/Hatsuden/Mellow/Zazen....and then we get this very ominous performance in leading into RSR. There's every bit of ground to be weary and to think this is what she's bringing to the stage to promote an album full of songs that ARE NOTHING LIKE THIS. It seems illogical to think she'd do it, but Stem and the first KZK tour were also illogical to promote KZK.
She IS illogical. There has never been too much logic to connect anything she's done from what I've seen.

Also, what kind of thing is NHK? Is there something specific they air? I ask because every performance I have of her from that program is always something jazzy or classy. I wonder if that has to do anything with the kind of station or program they air.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote