Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.07.18, 07:23 AM   #81
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Hm. But, you know, she's shown us that she is capable of releasing good stuff, so maybe, all this jazz shizz is all that she wants to do now, and why should she be penalised for that? Maybe if the music were actually -bad-, but I happen to think that her jazz stuff AND Variety are all pretty good.

I really, really liked Variety, actually.

At the end of the day, I guess it all just boils down to a matter of taste.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.18, 07:31 AM   #82
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

"I really, really liked Variety, actually"

you were pretending..? (right ?)
it's not the Jazz that is upsetting me it's the quality of the product.. it's not even good Jazz besides she's been playing around with the Jazz/Orchestra for too long and it's stagnating.. she's hyped us all up with Mellow and Zazen so what is she still doing with the cruise ship music ? she knew in her heart that the Jazz is overdone otherwise she would have released a Jazz special for her 10th celebration!! instead she knew what we wanted hence the Zazen release! now she just has to deliver a little more of the same.. we want to be excited again by her output not disappointed by her treading in the same old worn out musical shoes! the Shiina i love knows how to innovate! not stagnate
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.18, 07:48 AM   #83
Silverrime

Silverrime is headed in the right direction

I'm a bit conflicted here. On one side, I've pretty much always agreed with the "hate" crew on the forums, despite rarely voicing it. Nothing would make me happier than more rock based Ringo stuff.

On the other hand, (and I hate being an apologist) Ringo has yet to release something that can really be acredited to her songwriting -and- her own musical direction since Adult.

I do feel a bit weary because of this long dry spell of real Ringo material, but I suppose I can hang in there until we get something to really judge what's going on in her head. I'm still holding out hope that the drought gets broken by another Mayonaka quality release.

Silverrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.18, 02:31 PM   #84
miffunevii

miffunevii has had more than 15 seconds of fame

http://mullemeck.serveftp.org/jps_be...tails&id=46796

Complete^^
miffunevii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.18, 02:37 PM   #85
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Ewwww...
Those are horrible bitrates. Almost as if it were snatched from YouTube, because the "640x480" might as well be 320x240, with how much of the fine detail will be lost. The audio is even worse than that. I think I'll wait until someone else (such as doobie) uploads it in MPEG, and with stereo. Especially since I'm not exactly jumping-up-with-joy over these arrangements of the songs.

HF/SenkouShoujo/OSCA/KillerTune were available in 96kHz/24bit, so if there was anything among them that you didn't like, at least the recordings were sonically rich. I'd rather listen to CDs of SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS on their own, or Shiina Ringo on her own, not because I hate lives or collaborations, but this simply wasn't an example of either artist in their element, and 64kbps mono doesn't exactly take the sting off of that.
Old 2008.07.18, 03:13 PM   #86
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

if you want to get technical it can be argued that ringo hasn't released anything accredited to her own musical direction since Kyouiku. Adult was heavily impacted by Kameda's influence, you can hear what happened to Himitsu in the process. Who knows what the other songs sounded like until they gave them the Adult treatment?

Ringo is living the high life just cruising along, picking up some dough to feed her kid, looking hot on the tv, letting the boys do their thing. I'm sure she goes home and locks herself in her home studio and wails into the mic and just locks it away for a rainy day when no one will trust her credibility solely based on her name anymore....it is getting there slowly.... I mean look at her, once upon a time she said she disliked compilation/best of cds and would never release one. Yet here we have WTH. She also said KZK was the end of her solo career, yet we got HF. Who knows what will happen with TJ and their new album. I assume there has been new material written since Variety.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.18, 04:33 PM   #87
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

thats what you get when brazilian people try to record NHK tv shows from their decoders >_>

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.18, 11:41 PM   #88
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
^ God...6 months ago I would've berated you for being too harsh. Now, I can't even tell if those comments go far enough.
I think I got that from you 6 months ago already.
What can I say, I'm just ahead of everyone else.

Btw, I did manage to catch the tv show on NHK...
some cute pictures of SR when she was a kid etc.

One thing I wanna say though,

JR LOVES lounge music.

Yes, I adore downtempo/lounge/elevator-ish type of music, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I respond to that kind of music very well, and I generally like a lot of that stuff. BUT, there's good lounge music and then there's blah lounge music. (lounge music is almost never strong enough to elicit a response of distaste.) SR can't really do that kind of classy stuff. No, she can be all classy and pretty but she's at her best when she's classy and rocking it out (i.e Sounan PV). SR's more Balenciaga as opposed to Prada, more Cinematic Orchestra as opposed to the London Phil...

To me SR is a "fusion" musician. I still think she's at her best when doing rock-based compositions with lots of jazz or enka embellishments i.e. Kurumaya-san. Her electronic stuff seems good too, but we need to hear more of that to decide if that's her forte.
Old 2008.07.19, 04:44 AM   #89
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^No, actually, I wasn't kidding in the least.

I find Variety to be a great album to listen to while commuting on public transport or walking down a crowded street. It has a very fun vibe and doesn't take itself too seriously. I occasionally feel myself wanting to listen to OSCA or METRO more than I want to listen to, say, SERVICE or Tasogare naki.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.19, 04:51 AM   #90
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by gekokujyo View Post
^No, actually, I wasn't kidding in the least.

I find Variety to be a great album to listen to while commuting on public transport or walking down a crowded street. It has a very fun vibe and doesn't take itself too seriously. I occasionally feel myself wanting to listen to OSCA or METRO more than I want to listen to, say, SERVICE or Tasogare naki.
OSCA & Killer tune are just about all i can take from Variety! i like to hear Sounan when i'm out & about and the louder tracks like Keikou & ZCS Yattsuge Shigoto ect i'll respect your Variety love though!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote