Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2010.01.18, 04:38 PM   #41
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Sample-based music

^ surprise! Someone other than me on EMF has Cibelle's album!
I haven't heard Shine of... in years, but I don't remember anything that sounded particularly smashing. (In fact I remember it being acoustic and boring.) The two singles are both covers - London London was originally by Caetano Veloso, Green Grass by Tom Waits. Maybe she moved to London and decided that the best way to get attention was to do covers? Shame.

And I can't believe I almost forgot about this, well, "album". (videos on the site don't work for me )

Kutiman

This "album" came to my attention via Inaudible-Whisper, and I'm surprised that it hasn't made it to any TOP 100 list at all, because I cannot find a better example of 21st century music. The idea is simple - Kutiman, sample-based musician, makes an album out of the clips posted by various people doing their music thing on youtube. Then he puts it all on a website, for free. The marketing is equally 21st century as well - clicks, links, diggs, del.icio.us - it was completely viral. Before you dismiss it as a huge gimmick, no, the music does not suck. It's what you'd expect from an accomplished studio musician, and then some.
Old 2010.01.18, 07:36 PM   #42
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
^ surprise! Someone other than me on EMF has Cibelle's album!
I haven't heard Shine of... in years, but I don't remember anything that sounded particularly smashing. (In fact I remember it being acoustic and boring.) The two singles are both covers - London London was originally by Caetano Veloso, Green Grass by Tom Waits. Maybe she moved to London and decided that the best way to get attention was to do covers? Shame.
I gave my copy away, but what I remember most is that it had lots of small sounds that were, from what I recall, electronic. But it's possible that the larger framework was mostly acoustic. Or maybe the sound I'm remembering seem electronic because of the way they are layered in, in an obviously studio-driven way. I kind of wish I had had held onto it. It seemed interesting as an idea. I really do get the sense she was experimenting with the studio, but I didn't like the results. Didn't like the songs as songs, either, from what I remember. Lots of noodly sort of singing, with those small studio details layered in--that's how I remember it, which sounds potentially interesting, again, but just fell flat for me.

This would be a good night for me to listen to Cibelle again, as I am burning some things to my hard drive. (I recently deleted all my mp3s from my hard drive, saving the essentials first, because I thought I was going to be reformatting my PC due to a trojan infection I couldn't seem to get rid of, but ultimately that extreme measure wasn't required. Actually, I think that by creaing so much space from all the things I deleted, I led the PC to reorganize what was on my hard drive, and then that somehow made it easier for anti-virus tools to get at the problem. Sorry for the digression, but it was not fun to suffer a serious malware attack on the first day of the new year. I've since stepped up my PC security some.)

That Suba Tributo Cibelle appears on is also not bad, in case you don't know about it.

I really like Maria Rita's Segundo, but it's very acoustic and light and jazzy and I'm not sure you'd like, if you haven't heard it.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2010.01.18 at 08:05 PM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.18, 07:50 PM   #43
Superficial Fan

Oh, and Kutiman! I just discovered him over here:

http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelec...threadid=77754

I like this track that was posted there:

Kutiman - I'm New

I meant to check him out further. Him, them, whatever. And now it's coming back to me that I discovered him before I saw the video I just posted above. He mixes together snippets of other people's dyi youtube videos? I guess I should just do a search and find out.

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2010.01.18 at 07:57 PM.
Old 2010.01.18, 11:45 PM   #44
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Kutiman is 1 person. I don't remember his real name, but he's from Israel. He's already an accomplished musician before, well-known amongst the people who also listen to Quantic, but the youtube thing made him somewhat of a household name, which is great because a talent like him deserves all the attention in the world! If you could get your hands on his debut album "Kutiman", it's very worth your time. Very very groovy tunes (are you into that?).

I think Cibelle is an electronic musician at heart. Shine of... was probably quite experimental in her own quiet way, but I did think it was a generally one-note album. She hasn't released anything huge since 2006 either. Hm. Anyway. SUBA She did vocals for two tracks on SUBA's São Paolo Confessions, including the super famous Felicidade which appeared in practically all of those Jazz/Lounge/Buddha Bar compilations in the early 00s... It's a really solid tune. I had a feeling that SUBA would have gone on to produce Cibelle's debut if he didn't have passed away so suddenly and tragically (in a fire, trying to save Bebel Gilberto's demos for tanto tempo!, or so the legend goes...)

Enjoying the Maria Rita (I'm youtubing) quite a lot. I basically don't say no to brazilian music, especially if it's from the 70s. Not sure if I'll be *into* her, but she's very enjoyable for this time of the night. Obrigada
Old 2010.01.19, 12:31 PM   #45
Superficial Fan

Default More Brazilian babble

One problem I have with Cibelle is that I mostly don't like the sound of her singing in English. Call it the the Girl from Ipanema problem. I've never been sold on the Astrud Gilberto version of that, though I realize a lot of people would consider it definitive. Speaking of which, did you realize that Maria Rita is Elis Regina's daughter? (Incidentally, I don't claim to know much about Brazilian music, far from it. Like a lot of people outside Brazil, I mostly know bossa nova, and a little tropicalia--plus a few other stray things in my case--but Brazilian music is a pretty huge world that I know only very superficially.)
Old 2010.01.19, 09:24 PM   #46
justriiingo

I'm okay with her singing in English, but I generally enjoy music much more when I don't understand the language. A lot of brazilians don't find bossa nova all that special, maybe because they grew up around it, but it's such a charming genre of music... Portuguese is such a nice singing language I don't understand why they want to sing in English!

Astrud Gilberto's The Girl from Ipanema is what the music press would call *the* definitive bossa nova tune. I don't like it all that much, but it sure was a starting point for me. Later I chanced upon a series of podcasts a few years back on called "Avolta: Rare Brazilian Grooves" which pretty much sums up my knowledge of brazilian music. I should send it to you if you're ever so inclined... don't think you can find it on the internets anymore. There's some Elis Regina tunes in there, from what I remember. (Funny, the daughter thing never crept up while I was youtubbing).
Old 2010.01.29, 02:39 PM   #47
terrorsounds

terrorsounds pleased at least somebody
Talking

I listened to a lot of music in the last 10 years. so ill just throw some up that have made me go 'HELL YES SON!' lately. (also avoiding the abvious big bands like Muse, the pillows and whatnot~)

Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer

formerly half of the Dresden dolls, her genre is classed 'punk rock caberet' filled with songs thoughts and feelings, good and horrible. The track list on this album is varied from fast paced through to somber, sometimes in between. a neat peice of alternitive heavyily vocal work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZu6NWJkHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0o3JRaF2g

St. Vincent - Actor

another good aternitive singer. formerly a member a member of Polyphonic spree.

fell in love with this singer and particularly this album when i caught her perform on the late show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zVlr-ynnAI

Midori - Aratame mashite. Hajime mashite. Midori desu.

(no cover because i don't know how people here feel about topless manga girls)

band photo instead<3

Apparently an aquired taste, I exsposed my friends to it, they hate it, I love simply because the sound is fun and violent and I love a good scream. this a bizaar pick but unique anyway if your into that too.

favorite song on the album, best i can show as youtube doesnt like the videclip of the singer beating and choking people, and yes all that noise is coming out of one tiny woman. (and lol this AMV =P ) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKpw1iiKTa8

not from this album but the sound is right - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE42lG33mdA

Sons and Daughters - The Repulsion Box

I like all this bands albums so far but this one is my favorite. an scottish band, the music hits fast and raw. when my friend who introduced me to this band describing it would apeal to my taste for rockabilly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJazSEfVT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D87KMqdIFtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0VvrHd36A

This list could go on very a very long time but time in precious so ill stop. =P

Last edited by terrorsounds : 2010.02.04 at 11:30 AM.
terrorsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.04, 08:32 AM   #48
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by terrorsounds View Post
Sons and Daughters - The Repulsion Box

I like all this bands albums so far but this one is my favorite. an irish band, the music hits fast and raw. when my friend who introduced me to this band describing it would apeal to my taste for rockabilly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJazSEfVT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D87KMqdIFtA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0VvrHd36A

This list could go on very a very long time but time in precious so ill stop. =P
Sorry to be anal about this but they are Scottish.

An awesome Irish band is...

The Divine Comedy - Victory for the Comic Muse

The lyrics of their songs are to die for, here are some examples:
The Plough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9znSPECjhsY (Not the official video or anything)
A Lady Of A Certain Age: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUio0gU4NCY
Wanted to find Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World too but that seems not to be on youtube unfortunately.
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.04, 11:29 AM   #49
terrorsounds

terrorsounds pleased at least somebody

Sorry to be anal about this but they are Scottish.
aw, sorry man, ill correct that. I even lazily checked wiki when i was writing that ot not get it wrong. get that crap myself all the time twice. =/
terrorsounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.27, 04:22 AM   #50
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Reading this now (going through old threads for the hell of it), wonder if many peoples opinions are changed.

No mention of Lateralus on here is a little disturbing. What about The Marshall Mathers LP? (I know, Eminem is a joke now, but c'mon, its an undeniable earth-shattering, perfectly timed release- it's the 00's Mellon Collie).

Not enough people have heard Togawa Fiction. It's just as good as KZK. On some days, it's better. The Shins had quite a few great releases. The Bad Seeds had No More Shall We Part. One other thing surprised me- no FUNERAL mention, one of the defining albums of the decade????